i30 Owners Club

i30 CRDi Used car review.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Positive about the engine, but negative about a the quality of a lot of the interior components. The headlight issue gets a mention plus others I've not heard of eg moisture inside the headlight unit. No mention of the auto transmission problems starting to crop up.

http://smh.drive.com.au/used-car-reviews/used-car-review-hyundai-i30-crdi-200711-20120530-1ziwq.html
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks, interesting.
I like this bit:

Hyundai has lots of experience making diesel engines and, in the i30, it shows. With a rich tradition of huge diesels for powering cargo ships to decades of producing diesel engines for domestic market trucks, Hyundai generally gets its diesels right.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm wondering if they got some of their info from our forum.... :)

There are a few stuff ups like saying the SLX has a 6 CD stereo and that neither model had stability control...While the early models didn't have it, stability control was standard from around October 2009.  :undecided:

Interesting that the review points out that there have been issues with doors rubbers.....something Hyundai refused to acknowledge when my drivers side seal split after only 6 months of ownership.  :mad:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm wondering if they got some of their info from our forum.... :)

I wondered exactly the same thing.
If so, we should have been acknowledged in the credits  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Um, can someone point me to the links about "auto transmission problems"? As a new i30 owner that kinda worries me...
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Um, can someone point me to the links about "auto transmission problems"? As a new i30 owner that kinda worries me...

If you type in auto transmission or automatic transmission problem into the search function at the top they should come up.
If they don't let us know and we'll have a look too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
D'ouh! :whistler:

Shoulda know that....
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline cbowden9000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
That was an interesting read, cheers. Any tips on how to keep my i30 in top condition as it ages, and specifically how to avoid the problems raised in the article?
  • 2011 Black SLX CRDi 6sp Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That was an interesting read, cheers. Any tips on how to keep my i30 in top condition as it ages, and specifically how to avoid the problems raised in the article?

The manual in particular has been pretty much bullet proof.

Just try and be gentle with the interior trim which is a bit susceptible to marking.

The dash can be a bit dark during the day as I don't think even the later FD series had that illuminated during the day (unlike the new GD series does) It is tempting to run the car with the lights on during the day to give the dash some illumination but best just to run them on park.

The reason I say this is that I still suspect that the headlight globe blowing issue in the diesel (particularly with upgraded bulbs) is exacerbated by leaving the lights on when starting the car. Hope that helps... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Just try and be gentle with the interior trim which is a bit susceptible to marking.

The dash can be a bit dark during the day as I don't think even the later FD series had that illuminated during the day (unlike the new GD series does) It is tempting to run the car with the lights on during the day to give the dash some illumination but best just to run them on park.

The reason I say this is that I still suspect that the headlight globe blowing issue in the diesel (particularly with upgraded bulbs) is exacerbated by leaving the lights on when starting the car. Hope that helps... :cool:

All good advice, but just in relation to driving with park lights only on, I'm not sure of the laws over east but in WA it's illegal to drive with park lights on as they are for parking, so it's headlights or nothing, depending on the conditions.

Same as you can't drive with fog lights on unless there are adverse weather conditions and if you do, it's headlights off otherwise it can get a bit costly.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Seems like it's yet another "difference" between the State's laws, Dave.....   :rolleyes:

We're allowed to have headlights and fog lights on together in poor visibility.....

Not drivng with parking lights on is a new one for me. Never heard of it and can find no mention in the rule book for Victoria so can only assume it's ok to do so here.

Btw, I couldn't find that rule in the WA rules either, can you point it out for me?   :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If you drive with park lights at night time in WA you'd be charged with "Insufficient Lights" under Reg. 182 of the Road Traffic Code. (It used to be Reg 1201 under the old RTC).
Park lights are for parking and don't provide sufficient illumination for driving and this has been accepted by the courts for years.

If it's night time your car has to be fitted with headlights as determined under the Vehicle Standards Regulations (VSRs) and they must be on. Headlights are required from sunset to sunrise and if required, the prosecution needs to prove those times exactly in a court hearing in order to prove the charge, eg if the offence was committed close to those times, and may need to introduce evidence to that effect.

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 182
182 .         Lights on moving motor vehicles

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle or a combination of a motor vehicle and trailer, during the hours of darkness or in hazardous weather conditions restricting visibility, unless it is equipped with such lights and reflectors as are prescribed by the Vehicle Standards or the Road Traffic (Towed Agricultural Implements) Regulations 1995 as those to be carried by that vehicle or combination, and the lights are lit.

The WA Drive To Stay Alive publication is not law, but an interpretation of law for road users. It states:

3.3.1 Driving at night
The distance that you can see ahead and to the side is severely reduced after dark.
This means that it will take you longer to respond to hazards after dark. About
one-third of serious crashes occur after dark.
You must use extra caution to allow for the reduced visibility after dark.
Switch on your headlights
Drive with your headlights on between the hours of sunset and sunrise or when
conditions require it.
Always bear in mind that while you need good visibility to drive
safely, it is equally important for other drivers to be able to see you.

However, when your headlights are operating, your car must be wired such that the park lights are on at the same time.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Dave.. I wasn't advocating driving with only park lights at night  :rolleyes: :whistler:

Gee if the WA cops picked you up for driving with only your parks on during the day they need to get a llife  :fum:

I used to do it all the time in my CRDi without a problem...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hey Dave.. I wasn't advocating driving with only park lights at night  :rolleyes: :whistler:

Gee if the WA cops picked you up for driving with only your parks on during the day they need to get a llife  :fum:

I used to do it all the time in my CRDi without a problem...

And what about all the Volvos which, for years, didn't have a choice?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:lol: :lol
Can't argue with that.
Volvos didn't have park lights on though, they were actually proper DRLs and were a lot brighter than the park lights.
I had two Volvos, a 244 GL & a 264 GLE and they were definitely DRLs.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
:lol: :lol
Can't argue with that.
Volvos didn't have park lights on though, they were actually proper DRLs and were a lot brighter than the park lights.
I had two Volvos, a 244 GL & a 264 GLE and they were definitely DRLs.

Not sure I agree with this statement. My observations are that they are just parking lights and if they're not, where are the parking lights in a Volvo of the vintage you mention.  :question: :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The parking lights were in the same position but if you put the switch to "park" you got parking lights.
If the switch was off with engine running you got DRLs which were a lot brighter.
Volvo introduced DRLs to Australia and they were definitely not a parking light.

This is taken from a Volvo forum:

Volvo introduced Day Running Light in Australian market in 1976, possibly earlier in Europe. Originally it was just intensified parking lights. The European turn indicators had separate turn signal and parking light. Models with Day Running Light had a 21W/5W dual filament parking light, of which 21W is illuminated if the key is in position II but headlights are off. If the headlight is switched on, 5W is illuminated instead. Tail lights are also illuminated with Day Running Light.

In the late 80's the Swedish government picked up on the idea and it became compulsory to have your low beam headlights on at all times when you are driving. This feature first appeared in the '88 760, and later appeared on the '90 740 (up to '89 740's still had the 21W/5W dual filament Day Running Light). On the models with low beam headlight as Day Running Light, the parking light was just a 5W single filament. Some markets lost Day Running Light altogether, including Australia.

Around the same time UK models introduced a similar thing called Dim-Dip, which I believe are just de-rated low beam headlights for Day Running Light. Looking at my wiring diagram it seems they use an additional relay to reduce the output. Obviously full output is restored when the headlights are switched on.

From about '95 on the 850's and I believe 960's as well (not sure about 940's though), there was a small selector next to the headlight switch which you can use to turn on / off the Day Running Light feature. This is explained in the owner's manuals of the models which has this feature.
TheJoyOfSix
03-20-200

Volvo were way ahead of their time with seatbelts, DRLs, backward facing child safety restraints, etc.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good answer db08, I'm satisfied you are correct & I never knew that, thanks  :hatoff:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thank you.
I actually have a lot of time for the older Volvos (not so much newer ones) and I had a great run out of both of my 2 series Volvos.
My eldest daughter's first car was a Volvo 244 auto which whilst not possessing much street cred, it did keep her safe in her early driving career.
They were built like tanks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
My late father had a 144, with the big bumpers. Very solid build  :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you drive with park lights at night time in WA you'd be charged with "Insufficient Lights" under Reg. 182 of the Road Traffic Code. (It used to be Reg 1201 under the old RTC).
Park lights are for parking and don't provide sufficient illumination for driving and this has been accepted by the courts for years.

If it's night time your car has to be fitted with headlights as determined under the Vehicle Standards Regulations (VSRs) and they must be on. Headlights are required from sunset to sunrise and if required, the prosecution needs to prove those times exactly in a court hearing in order to prove the charge, eg if the offence was committed close to those times, and may need to introduce evidence to that effect.

ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 182
182 .         Lights on moving motor vehicles

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle or a combination of a motor vehicle and trailer, during the hours of darkness or in hazardous weather conditions restricting visibility, unless it is equipped with such lights and reflectors as are prescribed by the Vehicle Standards or the Road Traffic (Towed Agricultural Implements) Regulations 1995 as those to be carried by that vehicle or combination, and the lights are lit.

The WA Drive To Stay Alive publication is not law, but an interpretation of law for road users. It states:

3.3.1 Driving at night
The distance that you can see ahead and to the side is severely reduced after dark.
This means that it will take you longer to respond to hazards after dark. About
one-third of serious crashes occur after dark.
You must use extra caution to allow for the reduced visibility after dark.
Switch on your headlights
Drive with your headlights on between the hours of sunset and sunrise or when
conditions require it.
Always bear in mind that while you need good visibility to drive
safely, it is equally important for other drivers to be able to see you.

However, when your headlights are operating, your car must be wired such that the park lights are on at the same time.

Seems to be some confusion...I thought you were saying that it was illegal to drive during the day with parking lights on.... :undecided:

Offline cbowden9000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

Thanks for that mate. I wasn't aware the diesels had a headlight problem. What exactly do you mean? And ss there anything I can do to avoid this besides not starting the car with the lights on?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There are suspicions about voltage spikes on start up, blowing the globes.. Seems to be a bigger problem in Europe where they drive with lights on more than Oz, but there are some Oz members having troubles too.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I've made the effort to ensure that the lights aren't on when I start it (ie. ensure that I turn them off when I get out of the car). Hopefully this will prevent them blowing.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline cbowden9000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Oh geez. I'll try to remember that. Cheers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal