i30 Owners Club

Dash cams

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking about getting a  dash cam setup installed when I get my new car, and I was wondering if anyone can share their experience and knowledge about them before I plonk down some of my hardly earned cash.

I want to get it hard wired, with front and rear cameras (even just the rear, I only want the insurance company to see someone rear ending me, not vice versa :) ). I really want it for those "sorry, I hit your car while you where shopping, but I didn't leave a note" type incidents, and maybe for a bit of footage from the occasional nice drive.

I've had a look at Black Vue, and it seems to fit the bill, but as I pretty much know nothing about them any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
  • IO 30 N

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shane, have a look around on the dashcam talk website :link: Best Dash Cams of 2018 | DashCamTalk and a read through their forum.
Street Guardian :link: Street Guardian SG9663DC GPS CPL 64GB pretty much have the best quality and support, they're produced by jokiin who is a highly regarded developer of new cams and a huge following on the dashcamtalk forum.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 14:21:14 by CraigB »

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Craig,

I'll be checking out your links :) and apologies for putting yet another post in the wrong sub forum, I must be developing a reputation for being a sucky thread starter!

Shane
  • IO 30 N

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shane, your topic is in the correct area :goodjob:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
i recently Purchased a Blackvue DR750 2 channel front rear from Autobarn, and still getting used to it. :cool:

it does Pretty much what u require. front and rear cameras are separate video recordings so u only send insurance company the rear video,
can use home WIFI and cloud storage, records prior to an event occurring and stores the video and notifies your mobile
Power magic optional Power supply which allows constant recording when Parked and switches off when battery gets low.

Negatives are motion sensors are sensitive and night time recordings a bit difficult viewing in low light.
128MB Blackvue memory cards overly costly and other brands like Samsung will work at fraction of the cost.
unsure on how if you used a single front camera in the rear just how motion detection & impact sensors would work pointing in reverse orientation    :wacko:

this is only dash cam i have ever owned but since the hit and run damage to my car, and Police not investigating any further, i want to be prepared in the future  :blubber:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Shane, your topic is in the correct area :goodjob:

But it didn't start here  :-[

Thanks to whomever moved it
  • IO 30 N

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Crusty,

The DR 750s 2 channel is the one I've been looking at, it looks good as does the Street Guardian that Craig mentioned.

I contacted a Brisbane dealer/fitter of the Black Vue and asked him if $1500 would cover the supply and installation of the 750 and power magic and he asked how many I wanted for that money, so I assume it's going to be within my budget :) I'll be using my own cards, I've got more than enough for my DSLR so a 128GB one will find a new purpose in life.

Do you guys use them for recording "fun drives" or should I stick to my Go Pro for that?

For something I hope never to use in anger, I'm spending a lot of time researching and probably overthinking  this, but hey, until the I30n is released I have to do something:)

Shane

• IO 30 N

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Benefits the Blackvue has over the SG is the inclusion of parking mode and the phone app, they're being pretty tight lipped about the features but hopefully those options will be in the next SG model which will be in the next few months.

Thinkware :link: F800PRO | THINKWARE Australia are another good cam with the buffered parking mode and app like the Blackvue, Thinkware has a slightly better bitrate though and are more discreet :link: Thinkware F800 PRO | DashCamTalk

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 17:48:08 by CraigB »

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
i installed Blackvue Dr750 myself it is relatively easy, it has trim tool too.
The powermagic a little bit more difficulty as micro 2 fuse taps are needed in the footwell fuse panel for permanent live and accessory live.
finding a decent earth point also took some time
i paid about $450 for DR750 from Autobarn as on offer, $50 for powermagic, and $5-$10 for fuse taps & spare fuses off Ebay
basically $500 all up, so can see why the installer was rubbing his hands together & asked how many blackvues u want   :Shocked:

as I said before this a voyage of discovery for me too and have no other dashcam experience.
I do know that ones advertised on TV that fit over the mirror are pants.

Good luck hunting down your dashcam  :happydance:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
+1 for the DR750 2ch, have always run the blackvue gear, reminds me I need to remove it before I sell the car !
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline HoffyP

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I found the Blackvue DR650 I had in my previous car to be a good unit, but couldnt handle the high temp days well, often shutting down when parked.

I've got the Thinkware F800 Pro installed now.  Hardwired so it has constant power, but the unit has a built in battery monitor to shut it off if the car battery voltage drops to low (Car has sat unused for 4 days and it was still running so it'll last that long at least).  I find it a nice and discreet unit sitting behind the rear view mirror.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: HoffyP
I've got the Thinkware F800 Pro installed

I prefer having a viewing screen on my devices...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Quote from: HoffyP
I've got the Thinkware F800 Pro installed

I prefer having a viewing screen on my devices...
If you've got the Wi-Fi capable devices a screen isn't so important as you can view on your phone, Blackvue have their new DR900 out now with full 4K recording.

For those that like a device with a view screen Street Guardian have also just released their new model SG9665GC V4, SGGCX2 with the Sony IMX323 CMOS Sensor

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
a screen isn't so important as you can view on your phone

For playback, I agree, but I prefer having a realtime monitor on my dashcams.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Me too.  If need arises I can wifi the needed clip to my iPad.  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Not sure about some of the other brands though the Blackvue 750 and 900 have live view (realtime) through the phone app which I think would be better given the size of phone screens these days.

Cams like the Street Guardian have the screen built in but being a wedge shape cam the screen sits about the same angle as the window and is hard to view, especially if it's mounted high behind the revision mirror.
Like most other cams with view screens they're also rather difficult to see in a driving position as well due to the screen size.

Offline Bighvm

• 2nd Gear
I habe two i put in myself, a cheap e bay wifi one that works well, its the samw style as the blackvie tube type, it has g sensor, motion sensor as well as in drive recording.. i use that for rear one.
I also fitted today an rac 107... great unit, just b sure to buy fast genuine sd cards, i used samsung top of the range 10/1, 32 gb.. no problems.
  • I30 auto diesel to buy in near future!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I couldn't help myself :whistler: all this talk of dashcams and you buggers have revived my wanting of one :crazy1: decided on the Blackvue DR900s and a Cellink Neo battery pack for parking mode functions.

Both the cam and battery have some fancy new features since my last cam so there's a small learning curve to get over, seems to be a rather simple install with the supplied battery pack wiring kit which can plug into normal 12v power socket or wired to Accessories fuse for faster 9A charging.

:link: BlackVue DR900S-1CH 4K UHD Dash Cam | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA

:link: Cellink NEO Dash Cam Battery Pack | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 18:06:30 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I couldn't help myself :whistler: all this talk of dashcams and you buggers have revived my wanting of one :crazy1: decided on the Blackvue DR900s and a Cellink Neo battery pack for parking mode functions.

Both the cam and battery have some fancy new features since my last cam so there's a small learning curve to get over, seems to be a rather simple install with the supplied battery pack wiring kit which can plug into normal 12v power socket or wired to Accessories fuse for faster 9A charging.

Wow! nearly a $1000 all up!  :Shocked: :faint: :crazy1:

I think I'll just leave my car unlocked with my wallet on the seat.. It would be cheaper...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Wow! nearly a $1000 all up!  :Shocked: :faint: :crazy1:

I think I'll just leave my car unlocked with my wallet on the seat.. It would be cheaper...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Come on now Dazz, you would miss that $5 in your wallet.  :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

True!  :snigger:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
We have 3  Street Guardians in our cars. They have exceptional customer service here in Oz. I had a problem with one after 2 years and Jokin (Rick) their owner responded within minutes to an online query on a Friday night, shipped out a replacement, no questions asked.

He is active on the Dashcam forums which lead me to choose his brand.

I would suggest that he is as passionate about Dashcams as Dazzler is passionate about this site.

Their units come complete with everything you'll ever need to install them properly.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :MeToo:  My daughter and I are both owners of the Street Guardian in our i30s and can confirm everything druggist has said. Great camera and very clear filming day & night. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:MeToo:  My daughter and I are both owners of the Street Guardian in our i30s and can confirm everything druggist has said. Great camera and very clear filming day & night. :goodjob2:

My 5 y/o $89 Navi8or is pretty average.  :Pout:

When i recover from paying for 2 mainland and 1 local holiday in advance + my two Daughters birthdays within 3 weeks of each other I might have to stretch to a Street Guardian myself! Looks like I can get a current model for $288 fon Ebay delivered although that's still more than I'd like to pay!

:link: Street Guardian SGGCX2 DVR Recorder GPS In Car Crash Camera + CPL - 32GB | eBay

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah the Street Guardians are good cams, I monitor the dashcamtalk forum all the time and Jokiin does an awesome job :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal