i30 Owners Club

valve clearance noise/rattle/ticking - 2007 SR 2.0 (and fuel filter!)

Offline ewokracing

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carrum, Melbourne
Hi guys

I had the timing belt and air con belt changed a couple of weeks ago at 74,500 kays. Was a lot less expensive than what I thought it would be (yay for decent mechanics) and I asked that they give the car a once over at the same time since the previous owner was, well, lets just say a ducks bum! (hence the aircon belt getting changed too)

Is there a interval for the valves to be checked for clearance? I've noticed that it's making a very feint clatter noise, which I'm guessing is coming from a lack of changing the oil/filter/overal maintenance. It's probably more noticable now since it's winter.

AND! How hard is it to change the fuel filter? I've read that it's accessible by removing the rear seat bottom? Is it one of those nightmare jobs or is it pretty straightforward? If it's anything like the oil and interior filter, I'm assuming it's never been touched.

THanks
  • 2007 i30 SR

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Not sure where the petrol fuel filter is, but the diesel filter is very easy to change
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Not sure where the petrol fuel filter is,

Is it under the rear seat?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not sure where the petrol fuel filter is,

Is it under the rear seat?

I Reckon Phil will know when he spots this!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Holy Cow that looks harder than the Diesel filter,I've always wanted to open that door up on Bruce and Cyril to see whats under their,just the fuel pump I suppose,since the filter is under the bonnet.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ewokracing

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carrum, Melbourne
Thanks Phil!

Have to work out how to take a child seat out now with minimal fuss!

• 2007 i30 SR

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Holy Cow that looks harder than the Diesel filter,I've always wanted to open that door up on Bruce and Cyril to see whats under their,just the fuel pump I suppose,since the filter is under the bonnet.

For members without diesel fuel filler protection, (not us  :D) that is where you would drain your tank very carefully with a siphon and save a $300.00 bill from Hy.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

For members without diesel fuel filler protection, (not us  :D) that is where you would drain your tank very carefully with a siphon and save a $300.00 bill from Hy.

I remember when I got Diesel bug in Cyril not more than a month after getting him,they had to pull the whole fuel system out,glad I didn't have to pay for it  :Shocked: :sweating:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal