i30 Owners Club

2 Diesel tuning boxes - dyno comparison results

eyecon · 17 · 13697

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Here are some results from some dyno runs when comparing the Racechip Pro and the Spider Adaptivscan tuning boxes:

Things you need to know:
  • All results posted here are in engine output
  • Each change is represented by a different colour. I hope you can differentiate the coloured lines
  • The ECU was not reset before testing commenced
  • Standard woolies fuel was used during all tests.
  • All runs (including the bottom graph) were done by the same operator on the same dyno.
  • No animals or inflatable dolls were harmed during the tests

This post is for those interested in tuning boxes. The comparison is between 2 tuning boxes: the Racechip Pro and the Spider Adaptivscan. Both did well over the standard, especially in the torque department. The results were achieved by doing 3 runs with each alteration, starting from a standard setup. That means no fuel additive, standard air filter, and definitely no tuning boxes. This would become our baseline graph to represent a standard engine (red line and red dash).

The Racechip Pro (blue line and blue dash) pipped the Spider in the kilowatt stakes (just). The Racechip Pro was installed as per manufacturer's instructions. As there is no special instructions to calibrating or running in period the box was just plugged in and run on the dyno for 3 more consecutive runs. The highest recorded was about 104Kw from the Racechip Pro on the final run compared to about 103Kw on the final run for the Spider. In standard trim it managed about 98Kw.

However the Spider did much better in the torque department. I should preface this by saying the Spider was initially installed in exactly the same way as the Racechip Pro, which was NOT in accordance with Spider's instructions. Anyway I just wanted to see what would happen, and this is represented by the green line and dash. 3 more runs were done with very wavy and different results on each run. I then went home and re-installed the Spider as per instructions. As part of the instructions I also had to drive the car for about 50miles to ensure the box is fully adjusted/calibrated. I then went back the next morning and run 2 more passes (magenta line and magenta dash), albeit without the external fan at the front on this occasion. The Spider topped the scales at about 292Nm, followed by Racechip Pro, which spiked at about 282Nm, and standard about 249Nm. You will see from the chart the Spider had a much stronger and longer lasting torque curve than the Racechip Pro.

I should add that the Racechip Pro was set at one notch back from the default manufacturer's setting. In my extensive time of having the box I developed a gut feeling that the default setting was still too strong, with that feeling of it being slightly choked in the mid rev range. I had not driven the car in the real world to see if it made a difference. So here is a dyno result which I prepared earlier (hehe). It was the result of the same Racechip Pro box in it's default setting, albeit on my first i30 last year:

Whilst the Racechip Pro was altered, the Spider was run 'as is' from the previous owner. I will open it soon to check it's settings.

Stay tuned for some fuel additive tests.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What a fine post. I don't understand all of the technicalities but it sure makes fascinating reading
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks Shambles. I relished this opportunity to do this comparison while I had the two boxes in my hands at the same time, which would be a rare occurrence. It's probably a good tool on this forum for the those members interested in buying a box.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...It's probably a good tool on this forum for the those members interested in buying a box.

Yep. Let's move to "Tips" and see how it sits there :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
Great post eyecon!

I'm very surprised at the peak power of the stock setup. I thought they were rated at 85kw/255nm standard? That's a fair increase over what it should have. Is there a reason you didn't graph the power at the wheels? I assume your earlier dyno's were measured the same way? I was just wondering if their conversion/drivetrain power loss % might be a little off.

Torque increase seems to be amazing with the spider! I feel I should be happy with the Racechip though. I've been doing a bit of research RE: adjusting the dials on it, so I might have a bit of a play and get back to you with the results.

Cheers,

GM

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I was of the same opinion when I first saw the high kw figure in standard form on my first i30. But you would have noticed the standard torque output was roughly about where it should be. Go figure. I suppose the thing to take away from this is the percentage increase over a baseline result, whatever that may be.

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Yeah torque looks to be about right. Nevermind. Were these all with your K&N installed? I guess that would account for a very slight increase, but I doubt it would be particularly evident in the peak power - perhaps more so the shape than anything else? ie revving a bit more freely, and a touch quicker. Feel free to correct me, but that is my experience with K&N's on my bikes and the WRX. They always seem to make the engine pull better from lower down in a higher gear than before.

Cheers,

GM

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
The KN was put on right at the end of the Spider run only, with negligible difference. The dyno guy said he saw a .6 kw increase, so bugger all. The magenta line that you see is the result of the KN installed. I left it in because I couldn't see any meaningful difference. I have now been informed that a cold air induction system (CAI) will yield a much better result, when combined with a turbo back exhaust system. I'm looking for any CAI ideas if any one has any thoughts.

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

eyecon,

not sure if the rules for diesels are the same as their petrol burning cousins, but when you start talking pod filters, and fulll exhausts, often engines can get a bit 'peaky', in the search for outright horsepower. As I said, dunno if that rule applies to diesels, but you might gain a fair bit of power, but all at the higher end of the rev range. And even though there is more torque as well, the curve might have a massive bulge in it at high revs, rather than a nice curve starting down low. Can make the jump in power feel awesome, but waiting for it to come in painful.

Again, just my thoughts, and I am happy to be shown the light if I am off track.

GM

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Yeah, most of my research pointed that way as well. To cut a long story short I was also skeptical about this, given the reverse nature of diesel performance tuning compared to petrol variants. But here's the kicker. The previous owner claimed 118kw & 326Nm from the spider chip. That's what got me hooked. Anyway what he didn't tell me was that he had a CAI & exhaust at the time he did his dyno run. It clearly must have made a difference. I asked to see the graph a couple of times, but it's not likely to be forthcoming.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
very good man! some good comparisons to make there! definatly a great thing you have done!

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Well had the 1st service today. And the moment I got the car home, I popped the bonnet and installed the Racechip Pro. I reverted back to stock settings, and the improvement is impressive indeed. Turning from an intersection with some gusto gets wheelspin (even with ESP/Traction Control turned ON) in 1st and 2nd, and the turbo lag evident in lower revs now seems to be a thing of the past unless you are doing stupidly low speed in a high gear.

I am happy with the improvement, but wifey is still slightly underwhelmed. I am still sure this is due to her driving style though. She took it out for a spin, and she pulled away slowly, then planted it, and I'm sure it was thinking about bouncing off the limiter any second.  :eek:

Poor lil fella. I have already chastised her, and offered to educate her formally. Apparently that was a bad thing to say?  :-\

GM

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Poor lil fella. I have already chastised her, and offered to educate her formally. Apparently that was a bad thing to say?  :-\

GM

You will have to take her for a spin with you driving and give it a burst the proper way... :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Just remember Jim don't go over 4000rpm or so. Everything you need is available up to that point. Peak torque ends at around that point. Thrashing it will cause damage, just like any other engine. Sounds like your missus will try and do just that as an excuse to get rid of it, eh?

Anyway I'm glad you came back to us with feedback, and that you are enjoying giving it a squirt. It makes the car a fun car to drive, especially up windy mountains.

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

I have told her she must change gear at 3000 rpm. It definitely seems to have filled the hole in the rev range when taking off slowly, and the car genuinely feels "zippy" now - power delivery is more like a beefy petrol. Quite happy with the results. I'm gonna turn the 'duration' dial up a notch at a time and see what happens. I'll try and be as scientific as my butt-dyno allows.

Might even try turning up the power 1 notch at the same time - I don't think I'll turn it up much more than that though. It's all about experimentation though I guess. I imagine I'll end up with the same settings as Dennis had it on.

Stay tuned over the next little while.

GM out.

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Still have settings as they were, and I am still happy with how the car goes. I attempted a 2nd gear take off from a set of lights this afternoon, and was extremely happy with the speed at which it leapt away from the line. Once the turbo gets spinning, it really builds quite quickly. And to top it off, I didn't have to abuse the clutch, nor did it feel remotely unsympathetic to any of the mechanicals.

If you haven't considered a chip, have a think about it. Well worth the coin in my opinion. It unleashes the engine - it should have this sort of power standard. In saying that though, I would still no doubt put a chip on it then too! Some people are never satisfied...

GM

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal