i30 Owners Club

replaced part different than original one

noob · 11 · 4656

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
Hi there,

My car's center panel, I mean the one with LCD screen displaying date/time and music information, was problematic. The time went faster than it's supposed. In the 12-month service, I was told that it's a common problem and many cars have the same problem. I waited 2-3 more weeks for the shipping of the replacement to come.

The panel was replaced with a new one a few days ago. I cannot tell if the time speed is good now. However, I notice that something is different.

The old problematic panel displays outer temperature and time when no music is played and no Bluetooth phone call is made. I don't remember exactly, but the interface is with design. There are frames kind of things to make it look good. However, the new one displayed only the time in the center plainly. There is no design of the interface. It looks ugly. Actually it looks like an engineering user interface to me at the first glance. And it doesn't have the outer temperature. I think the replacement is an older model.

My questions is if it's legal for the car making company and/or the service provider to replace some part with older model with less features cause the whole value to degrade, and what I can do with it.

Cheers,
noob

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The part they replaced would have had a part number on it. I would think they would replace with the same part. It is possible it is the same part but it has not been programmed to display the same as before. Either way, back to the dealer to complain.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
The service wasn't done by the dealer. It was another licensed service provider. You mean go to the service provider, right?

Pip
From memory there was a batch of radios that did not hook to the temperature sensor. They were later than the first ones, not older. I think someone(s) managed to get it rectified but possibly required a change of radio.

Did you mean to say that the radio was replaced just because the clock kept poor time? If so, that was generous in itself but I would query the lack of temperature display just the same.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The service wasn't done by the dealer. It was another licensed service provider. You mean go to the service provider, right?

You'd have to take it where the fix was done, as it would appear they haven't fixed it back to original condition.

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
From memory there was a batch of radios that did not hook to the temperature sensor. They were later than the first ones, not older. I think someone(s) managed to get it rectified but possibly required a change of radio.

Did you mean to say that the radio was replaced just because the clock kept poor time? If so, that was generous in itself but I would query the lack of temperature display just the same.
I don't know exactly what has been replaced. My CD player was broken, too. So there were two problems. What they said was that both of the problems were on the same unit and the unit would be replaced.
You'd have to take it where the fix was done, as it would appear they haven't fixed it back to original condition.
I see. Thanks.

Offline noob

• 2nd Gear
I've talked to the service provider. It turns out that the new model has the temperature removed. They said some customers complained about the inaccuracy of the temperature so that it's removed from the new model.

I don't like the new model's display. And I do want the temperature display.

What can I do?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, You have bought a car with the outside temp feature, they should provide you with that again.

I would hate to miss that feature, as it is nice to know when temp is near 0 ºC. Maybe not an issue at your location.

BUT, I also think that somewhere in the warrantypages is stated something like:

"Changes to specifications without further notice"

That might, in a legal way, give them the right to change/remove features, but it's not very costumer friendly.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, I can't see them being able to change the specs on a vehicle already purchased. Do they have the right to replace your radio with a simple AM only, no CD, Bluetooth etc and say too bad. I think not  :exclaim:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Noob

Stand your ground and say you want a radio with the temperature readout.. that is BS about people complaining about the inaccurate readouts.. they are generally quite accurate. It is just salesman's talk to try and get you to accept the change  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:
It's what you already had that you wanted repairing and not replaced with something inferior.
As unpleasant as it can be, I'd stand your ground and explain that you're really not happy with having lost the original features.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal