Problems with battery in new i30's

accim · 19 · 23070

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Luckily I don't have the problem with battery, but there were already about 5 cases in Slovenia (1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines for now), when the battery in NEW i30's (the face lifted ones) died after few days of not working (car being parked). It happened to some after 2-3 days, others managed up to 7 days.. Also some "Blue drive i30 owners" had problems with ISG function (Instant start and go). The "function" wasn't working properly.

The reason for the problem was/is probably the new "follow me home" function, which was using up the battery. In some cases the screen on the dash was also still a bit illuminated, even after closing and locking the car.

So..the ones that have or will have "new" i30's, with follow me home function, maybe you could check if you have similar problems, so you wouldn't end up with empty battery at the wrong/place.

Here's the link to the Slovenian forum for more information. The translation kind of sucks, because I used google translator, but you get the point probably.. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hyundai-klub.si%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Fforum_id%3D26%26thread_id%3D2725%23post_39330

The problem is quite easy and fast to fix. They say, it's fixed by fitting a resistor into a dash. Something like that. It has to be done at Hyundai service of course :)

Hope it helps  :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the info.  I'm sure there are a few members which might be interested in this.

I take it is is only cars built in Europe and not Korea which are affected
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Accim great post thanks .. hope not too many members effected...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah, I think it's an European thing  :wink:

The solution is quite simple, so I guess services will fix it before selling the cars. But the problem "spread" quite fast. I mean, the "new" i30's started selling not long time ago, but I already know for 5 cases, which have the same problem. Some people don't even know that they have that problem though - the people that use the car every day for instance. And a lot of owners with that problem don't use forums also. So..I'm guessing, it's probably the same with most new i30's, at least with 1.4/1.6 petrol engines, that were sold (at least in Slovenia) recently.

I think and kind of expect, that if it appears to be a common problem with new i30's, Hyundai will call in the "problematical" i30's and fix the problem..  :rolleyes:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I would expect that as soon as the owner contacts the dealer to say their car won't start they will know immediately that the problem is the battery/resistor.

Also, I would expect the brakedown services to have been alerted.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
all because of a $2 part.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline stiby

• 1st Gear
Have a new i30 for a few weeks.The first week the ISG was working correct .
Now the system refuses to work.Have no battery problems. :-[
Till today they could not find the cause.

Offline spanishmike

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Cartagena Spain
TIP If your battery goes flat don't try to start it with jump leads from a donor car. See my post under flat battery and check the manual first.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
stiby: Yep, in my first post, there's a link to "Google-translated" Slovenian page, where a user described problems. One of them was also related with ISG not functioning correctly. It's probably the same or similar as yours.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My (Australian delivery i30 manufactured March 2010) diesel SLX has had a flat battery on two mornings in the last fortnight.
I haven't left the key in the ignition, the bootlight hasn't been left on and no doors were left unshut.
I am at a loss as to the cause. It is as if the computer and electrics don't go to sleep like they are meant to...I have it booked-in at Booths Motors (Central Coast NSW) tomorrow.
Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My (Australian delivery i30 manufactured March 2010) diesel SLX has had a flat battery on two mornings in the last fortnight.
I haven't left the key in the ignition, the bootlight hasn't been left on and no doors were left unshut.
I am at a loss as to the cause. It is as if the computer and electrics don't go to sleep like they are meant to...I have it booked-in at Booths Motors (Central Coast NSW) tomorrow.

Batteries used to be notoriously unpredictable life wise.
These days they're pretty good but I'm sure the odd one will fail prematurely.
They'll check your charge rate and load test the battery and should soon isolate the problem.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have a feeling something is not shutting down properly.. I guess time will tell..  :cool:

Hope it gets sorted quickly.. :cool:

Pip

I have a feeling something is not shutting down properly.. I guess time will tell..  :cool:

Hope it gets sorted quickly.. :cool:

I reckon Daz is right. I had a fault recently that kept the (electric) power steering active even after the ignition was turned off.

After this fault was resolved I have observed that the steering is still powered (rock it back-and-forth) for a few seconds after the engine is turned off. It only loses the electric assistance after a relay I can hear drops somewhere under the dashboard.

Based on this simple observation I can suspect that it is possible that power to some components is potentially available even when the key is removed.

If this can happen, I guess the battery can be drained, given enough time.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Hyundai workshop had my car for 4 hours and weren't able to track down the problem. It was suggested that if I left my car with them overnight they might have more of a chance catching it misbehaving. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Hyundai workshop had my car for 4 hours and weren't able to track down the problem. It was suggested that if I left my car with them overnight they might have more of a chance catching it misbehaving. 

Don't you hate that type of fault.. :mad:

I'm guessing you didn't leave it there tonight?  :cool:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Dazz,
Couldn't do it tonight. Hopefully I will be able to leave it with them on Thursday afternoon.
Gotta confess that I have lost a bit of confidence in my Hyundai.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazz,
Couldn't do it tonight. Hopefully I will be able to leave it with them on Thursday afternoon.
Gotta confess that I have lost a bit of confidence in my Hyundai.

I'm sure it will get sorted soon and you will get your confidence back (they are a gr8 car)  :wink:

Offline stiby

• 1st Gear
Thank you for this information.I had also a problem with the ISG.
Hyundai will call my car back to the garage to install  the resistor.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Booths had my i30 overnight and the next day and weren't able to come up with a solution except for me to "bring it to us when it doesn't work....."    right....

If/when it happens again I will take the flat battery to them for testing.

Don't you just hate intermittent problems!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal