i30 Owners Club

Help! - Oil change on 5 speed MT

Asterix · 57 · 25132

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Is that bolt that Rusty pointed (three posts back) not there?

I saw Rustys post Daz, but I've seen mention of 17mm nuts, I can find one that might be the one but trouble is there is also mention of a "don't touch this bolt" as it secures something in the gear cluster... That drawing isn't much help really a photo would be better, but the fact that there is little about the subject sort of re-enforces my feeling that there is no Top-up bolt, just glad I checked before I drained the old stuff out....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Really miffed and I suspect that as Hyundai say filled for life I've now convinced myself that there is a blank plug where the filler would be. Anyone know any different?

Just checked the service schedule i got last monday when i picked my car up after the first service and it has at year 2 service but not again until the year 12 service - manual gearbox oil level - check.

Does this help you keith..

Well thanks for taking a peek but it kind of indicates it can be checked doesn't it, I now have 2 Ltrs of gearbox oil sat on my shelf...

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Looking at the drawing, it makes me think the gearbox is on a table set on the clutch side. So you would be looking for that bolt in a horizontal position when fittedr to the engine.

The gearboxes I tinkered with all had side fillers set at a height where if the oil started to come out during refill, you had the right amount in the casing.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Agreed Hati & ditto, I always filled to overflow on all previous cars, handbook specifies 1.9 litres for a 1.6 petrol 5 speed manual shift, quite specific as the diesel is specc'd for 2 litres. Piece of cake to do if I can find a filler 'ole! :neutral:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This might be helpful.... :)

Quote from Ray G (Hyundai-Forums.com)

According to Hyundai they are 'filled for life', whatever that means, in my opinion with fresh oil it's going to 'live' a lot longer. The correct spec GL4 oil is listed in your owners book, from memory it's 70W80, or thereabouts. The drain and fill plugs are both 17MM across the head flat bolts, the only ones on the transmission. The common drain bolt is near the bottom of the final drive (diff) casing facing the left hand wheel. The fill bolt from memory is about half way up on the radiator side of the housing. You should drain 2.5 Litres of grey goop out if it still has standard Hyundai oil in it. The Grey is a friction modifier/load stabiliser Hyundai factory add. You WILL fill with 2.5 Litres of oil ONLY, don't fill to the plug level, just add exactly the amount in the owners book. It really is an easy job, once you look under the car the two plugs are obvious due to their size. Cheers.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/197-i30-elantra-touring-forum/153315-i30-gearbox-top-up.html

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Yep I saw all that and read it a few tea Rusty just to be sure I wasn't missing something. I serviced a 1.4 TDI VW Polo today and the drain & fill points were perfectly obvious on that.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well I wanted to change the gearbox oil today (Saturday June 8th) but couldn't find the oil filler. Really miffed and I suspect that as Hyundai say filled for life I've now convinced myself that there is a blank plug where the filler would be. Anyone know any different?

Hi Keith,
I have changed the oil in the manual gearbox of my 2010 diesel. The picture a few entries back looks right. It's there! Look for a bolt with a flat washer underneath its head. From memory there are only 2 like that in the same proximity as eachother....the drain bolt and the inspection bolt.

I put
http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2019.html?Opendocument&land=US
in mine.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I put
http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2019.html?Opendocument&land=US
in mine.

..and the $64,000 question, did it make much difference to the feel of the box?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I put
in mine.

..and the $64,000 question, did it make much difference to the feel of the box?

Good question..
the gearbox was annoyingly notchy when engaging 1st and 2nd ....especially when cold...until about 30,000km. That was about the time that I did the oil change and added the Moly product. The shift is now MUCH better. The car has now done 46,000km. Was it the km or the Moly (or both)?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, maybe i should have called it the 46,000 question :lol:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
My mechanic at the time used to swear by them.

Your mechanic saying "oh that bloody stuff" doesn't mean it is good  :lol:

I had an LC Torana 4 on the floor with the lesser Opal Gearbox and my mechanic put something in that and it made a big difference (but that was around 35 years ago so not sure what it was)
Probably STP Dazz that was good stuff in it's day,much like Nulon today
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Found this crappy picture of where the filler bolt is situated.

Hope it's of some help cos' I'm none the wiser.... :undecided:

Both drain and filler plug torque settings are 60 - 80 Nm.(6.0 - 8.0 kgf.m, 43.4 - 57.8 lb-ft)
Standard oil is SAE 75W/85 , API GL-4
Oil Capacity is 2.0 litre (2.1 US qt, 1.76 Imp qt)

So, finally I got to change the gear oil. The drainplug is obvious at the bottom of the gearbox and the filler plug is just as Rusty's pic above.

The car have now done 192000 km and I thought it would be a good idea with new gearoil. The i30 manual says that if the car is used for towing, the gearoil should be changed every 100000 km. (I bought the car with 126000 on the odo).

I have no problems with the gearshift in generel, but on the cold winter mornings when temperatures drop below 0ºC then the shifts can be notchy the first few km's. I hope this will be improved. We are not at freezing temperatures yet, there's about 5-10ºC in the morning when I'm off to work at 06.15.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Henning, be interested to hear if any difference in the feel of the change. :cool:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Glad this got resurrected as I'd forgotten to update.
I let a bit run out of the drain hole and the oil is golden and clear, the noise I suspected was gear related turned out to be a tyre issue so all is good!  :happydance:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks Henning, be interested to hear if any difference in the feel of the change. :cool:
since this has been resurrected(thanks,as in my manual Cyrils next service is 90,000 and gear oil is to be changed) if anyone remembers a while back,I was complaining Bruce was sticking in 1,3,5 gear,then Hy couldn't find an issue so they said,but they did say they drained and replaced the oild and since we have had this done the gearbox movement is so much better.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

since this has been resurrected(thanks,as in my manual Cyrils next service is 90,000 and gear oil is to be changed) if anyone remembers a while back,I was complaining Bruce was sticking in 1,3,5 gear,then Hy couldn't find an issue so they said,but they did say they drained and replaced the oild and since we have had this done the gearbox movement is so much better.

:drinks:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Well, didn't expect any improvement on a day like this, 10ºC in the morning, 18ºC in the afternoon when driving home from work, but must admit I felt a more smooth shift.  :happydance:

Still waiting to see if better when the frost sets in.....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, didn't expect any improvement on a day like this, 10ºC in the morning, 18ºC in the afternoon when driving home from work, but must admit I felt a more smooth shift.  :happydance:

Still waiting to see if better when the frost sets in.....

:hatoff:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I will be interested to hear as my mechanic has suggested putting a higher quality gear oil in.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I will be interested to hear as my mechanic has suggested putting a higher quality gear oil in.

Dave, I doubt you will gain anything from that as your car have only done 40.000 km. :question: I think you should be able to do at least 100.000 km before changing, considdering the gearoil is fill-for-life.

When the gear oil was drained, I was surprised to see that the oil was actually much more clean than expected, and it didn't have that rotten smell like used gear oil often have. I don't think the factory filled oil is as bad quality as feared.  ;)

I still enjoy the better and more smooth gearshift and is looking forward to see how it perform when the frost arrives, but so far we have very nice temperatures at + 5-10 ºC at nights.  :happydance:

Will keep you updated....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
So, the frosty nights have arrived. The last to mornings when going to work, the temperature was -7ºC

Happy to say the gearshift was very smooth compared to last winter where it was kind of notchy the first minutes.

The gear oil change have definitely been worth the $$   :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Excellent news, hope it's as good in another -20 Deg  :Shocked:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I changed the transmission oil when I bought my (used) car. That time my car had been driven around 60 000km. There were nothing wrong with the behaviour of the transmission. I usually change the transmission oils every 2-3 years depending how much I drive. Usually something between 40 000-50 000km. Some might say I change them too often, but the oil is cheaper than fixing a broken transmission. And it's easy job to do. Even the manual says that if you drive in demanding environment/situations you should change the oil more often. I consider the environment to be demanding where I live.

After 6 years and somewhat 60 000km the oil was in quite good condition. It was dirty when compared to the new oil, but I doubt I used the same oil, so there had to be some color difference just because of the different oil brands. But you could see that the old oil was "used". I am now using Castrol Multivehicle 75W-90 API GL-4 oil. That seems to work very well in low temps. I can't notice a difference in the behaviour of the shifter even at teps below -20*C. Smooth movement like it was summertime.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:ta: sundiz  :Agoodpost:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
An update...

My 2010 diesel has now (finally)  reached 69,000km. The gearbox is finally silky-smooth.....I swear by Liqui Moly products....talk about a lengthy bedding-in time!

Mind you....still on original Hankooks...no complaint there!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:11:14 by Paolo5 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal