i30 Owners Club

Bunny hopping when temp hits 18+°

Online vivih

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire
Hi everyone, please bear with me...this is my first post.

My 2012 CRDi blue drive active has taken to bunny hopping when temperatures get to around 18°C (& above).
It starts up ok in all weathers and doesn't do this in cold/cool weather, just when the mercury starts to rise.
There's no particular speed at which it gets worse/better, and causes a bit of drag on the acceleration/drive, but then seems to settle down after a few minutes (maybe 5?)
It's as if fuel is struggling to get through, but I can't understand this as I thought fuel got thinner in warmer weather and therefore flows easier (please correct me if I'm wrong...and if this is indeed the problem I have 🙈).
It's frustrating, but also concerning as I work 15 miles from home, travelling on one the regions busiest motorways.

Has this happened to anyone else, or can anyone shed some light on what it might be?

Thanks
  • 2012, CRDi Blue Drive Active, 5 door hatch, Diesel, 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Vivih, fine for a first post - Welcome!

I can't speak directly to the problem but don't take temperature thinning your fuel as a relevant assumption. By the time you factor what the sensors in the system are doing, you may end up with the opposite effect, as occurs with building air conditioning systems overcompensating.

Any chance your aircon or engine radiator fan is cutting in when it happens? We just need to pin down all the symptoms.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online vivih

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire
Thanks, that's a fair comment about the thinning, and not one I'd thought of (obviously 🤦🏻‍♀️).
As for the fan - I've not heard it kick in and my dashboard temp reading is always within limits, so maybe I can rule that bit out?.
The air con needs regassing - has done for at least a couple of years 🙈 - and I've put it off as I've been told it's the dearer type it needs (tbh, I've forgotten which type it is, it's been that long). I've not pursued it as I don't mind cracking the windows open instead of using that, but if it would help with the bunny hopping, maybe I should think about getting it done? (Let's be honest here, it not looking like I'll need to do it due to the weather, anytime soon, is it?!? 😄)
  • 2012, CRDi Blue Drive Active, 5 door hatch, Diesel, 1.6, Manual, Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal