i30 1.6 ISG won't turn

xdrew · 16 · 6284

Offline xdrew

• 1st Gear

• fr France
      Rhone-Alpes, France

• i30 1.6 CRDI BlueDrive
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm new on this forum - and that's because of a problem with my i30 1.6crdi ISG. After being parked idle for 12 days, it won't turn. The battery is not dead, central lock, all lamps and ventilator work fine. It makes a silent 'knock' when I turn the key, it turns off the radio as usual for that moment, but the "starter" don't show signs of a turn... Suspecting immobiliser, I tried another key - no effect. Suspecting the battery, I brought another one (but not "ISG-qualified" powerful one) - all the same. For the moment I disconnected the battery for the night, to get ECU reset, let's see tomorrow.
Actually my questions are:
- if battery is (semi-)dead, how this shows up? It still tries to turn the engine, or it 'thinks' that the battery is discharged and denies to turn at all?
- can other type of battery work or I need to supply the ISG-type one?

Regards and thanks for any clue,
Xdrew

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Drew? and Welcome..

If your car is ISG equipped then it is perhaps only 12 months old .. Why aren't you getting it sorted under warranty (by the dealer)?

Is there a button to turn the ISG off (we don't get ISG equipped cars in Australia) In fact there are not a huge amount of members with the feature so be patient for replies please.

Hope it turns out to be an easy fix....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings xdrew and welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having a problem.

Having lights and radio work is not proof that the battery isn't flat.

As I'm in Oz, I can't help you with ISG issues, but my opinion is it's not that.

Standing for 12 days will allow even a small leakage of current to flatten a battery beyond cranking capability. Cranking is heavy on battery resources and this will show.

Another member had a problem with his boot light remaining on overnight and this was enough to flatten the battery.

Under warranty, you should be able to simply refer this matter to the dealer for rectification.

Hope you're sorted out quickly. Let us know how you get on  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
After being parked idle for 12 days, it won't turn. The battery is not dead, central lock, all lamps and ventilator work fine.

as stated earlier something as small as the interior light or boot light can flatten the battery overnight (its happened to me)

The battery is not dead, central lock, all lamps and ventilator work fine. It makes a silent 'knock' when I turn the key, it turns off the radio as usual for that moment, but the "starter" don't show signs of a turn...

this does not indicate that the battery is not flat. the batt. may have enough charge to run these functions but not crank the engine.

Suspecting immobiliser, I tried another key - no effect.

i think the immobiliser still lets the engine crank but will not let it fire or start

have you got a multimeter? if not get one and see what volts the battery has and also what the voltage drops to when you turn the key to the starts position. if the ecm see's 10.0v or less while cranking it will not start even though it doesnt sound doey while cranking (also happened to me). even though yours isn't cranking at all this is still something to keep in mind

also check the voltage at the starter motor and see if there is a voltage drop through the battery leads. also check the exciter wire on the starter is not loose (it will be the smallest wire there)

my guess is that you've got a dead battery (also check the volts across your new batt.) or a dead starter  relay

also check that all your battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion and check where the leads go
ie. positive lead to starter, negative to body and block

good luck  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee our members are great folk  :happydance:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
What's "ISG"?

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What's "ISG"?

Idle Stop Go

.. or as xdrew has found out... "Intermittant Starting, Goddammit"
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It makes a silent 'knock' when I turn the key,

Is it more like a clicking noise?

If so, my best guess is the battery is flat..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline xdrew

• 1st Gear

• fr France
      Rhone-Alpes, France

• i30 1.6 CRDI BlueDrive
Dear all, thanks for replies and suggestions... Shame on me, it was as simple as pushing the clutch pedal while turning the key! I normally do this mechanically in last 20 years as I drive cars, but I'm just back from US where I took automatic gear car for few days, and my body learned to push the break pedal by right foot and not the clutch (there is no one...)!
So, I hope at least you've got some fan out of this :) and yes, I checked the battery, it is 12.6V full! I also have read the manual, after driving the car for 3 month ... Learned few things...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Glad it's sorted xdrew, well none of us experts picked that either so  :-[ to us all as well. We'll have to remember that for the future.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:

Glad to hear it's all resolved :D

And that, my friend, is yet another good reason to include a country flag in your profile. If we'd known you had a French model we'd have said "oh, you need to depress the clutch when cranking" :whistler:

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing around here :lol: :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It makes a silent 'knock' when I turn the key,

I don't get this "no" noise if I don't press the clutch in so not pressing it in never came to mind.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like something I would do  :lol: (Glad you worked it out)  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal