i30 Owners Club

Diesel (auto) shudder/kangaroo low revs (2)

Janet · 10 · 4089

Offline Janet

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      East Warburton
Hi, I've just registered on this forum as I found this thread in a Google search. I have a 2011 2.0L diesel wagon - auto, which I bought new earlier this year. It ran fine for the first 800km, then I started to experience the kangaroo hopping. Took it to the dealer for the 1500km service (at 1200km) and they couldn't find anything. On the way home it did it again, and started getting more and more frequent. Also started getting a rattling noise - hubby said it was noisier than his diesel Patrol. Took it back and left it for a week. They upgraded the ICU and cleaned the injectors. Ran well for another 1500km, but the noise is back (intermittently) and the kangaroo hopping has happened on 3 occasions - so is much improved but not perfect. Have done 8000km and it is getting no worse. However, we do have some funny electrical issues - again, all very intermittent: the 'auto' wind down on the driver's window doesn't always work, the clock has gained almost 12 minutes in 3 months, and the stereo doesn't always read my iPod - to fix it seems to require different things each time from turning the car off and restarting to disconnecting the cable and reconnecting. The gearing also sometimes just feels wrong - tends to drop down a gear earlier than expected. But I'm not too worried by this - I see it as the disadvantage of having an auto. What I was wondering is if anyone else has had these issues combined or if I have in fact 3 different issues.

By the way, I wrote to head office of Hyundai, hoping there would be somewhere else I could take my car other than to the dealer, and no there isn't.

The funny thing is, despite the frustration and disappointment of buying a brand new car and finding it has a multitude of faults, I still love the damn thing. I don't want to sell it - I just want it fixed. I'm hoping to hang on to it for a long time as it is perfect for my needs and, when it is behaving, is a joy to drive.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Janet - welcome aboard, albeit under frustrating circumstances :(

I've made a new topic from your post, which looked like it might get buried under the weight of the original thread you added to. This way, you can get the spotlight on your miriad of issues.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome Janet,

Hope we can help you in some way.

These cars are great when they are working right. We have 2 in our family and are very happy with them. Clearly, you have multiple issues and I think a more detailed inspection of your car is required, all under warranty of course.

From memory there have been rare issues in the past with the transmission which have been cured by a software update. I assume they've checked the fuel, but could you possibly have picked up some bad fuel. Where do you normally fuel up.
Electrical issues with the windows require a full investigation & rectification.
Noisy diesel engine was cured recently by replacement of all injectors for a fellow member just days ago.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Janet .. I think I found the problem..They put a 2.0 Diesel in your car whereas everyone else in Australia only got a 1.6  :whistler:

Really sorry to hear about your issues but hopefully we can help you work through them over time.

Yes they are a great car and to have this many issues is very unusual  :(

A couple of thoughts.. Do you have the Hyundai Ipod cable with the two plugs on the car end? Also, with the Auto down it is normal for that to respond 2 ways depending on how you press the button. I forget which way it works but I think a quick jab of the button makes it go down automatically but it you hold it a bit longer it only goes until you let go...

As far as the Kangaroo hopping is concerned, you really need to insist (via Hyundai Australia if necessary) that this is fixed properly (you could play on it being a possible safety issue.. and insist on a decent loaner  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
Welcome Janet. As a new member myself I can assure you your in good hands here. 
Regarding the auto down, Daz is right. A quick tap and the auto down will work but if you hold it even for a short period of time the auto down won't engage.

I was having similar problems with my iPhone/IPod until I bought the special double pronged cable. It has a USB plug and 3mm audio jack.  You can Pick them up off ebay for very cheap. I bought one two days ago for $14 dollars delivered. Just search on ebay " Hyundai i30 iPod cable".

All the best with the rest.

Offline Janet

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      East Warburton
Thanks for the feedback everyone - and yes, it should have read 1.6L (we were going to buy the 2.0L petrol manual but this one was on sale and a chance to get a diesel).  Yes, I know that the auto feature on the window depends on how you press the button - have had the same feature on previous cars - the point is that the behaviour in this particular car is inconsistent.  Given that there are three electrical issues (the most annoying being the clock gaining time rapidly - up to 14 minutes fast now - got to keep that in mind when driving through school zones :-))  I'm thinking maybe it is an earthing issue.

I did think maybe I was getting dodgy fuel, but I've tried a few sources, and besides our other car is a diesel and it has had no problems with the same sources.  Having said that, it seems to me that the noise seems to happen more often when the fuel tank is full. Does anyone have any ideas on what that might indicate?

Apart from the noise, it does seem to be running okay. The "kangaroo hop" has only happened three times now since the software upgrade and injector clean. And even the noise seems to be less rattly than it was - could this be a bedding in problem. We're going to leave it until the 15000km service but any ideas on what we should get them to check would be much appreciated.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As I said before Janet it is all quite odd.. hopefully we can come up with a checklist for you.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Only just found this thread...  I am really sorry to learn of these problems.  I second what Dazz said earlier, insist that it is attended to properly quote safety ground suggest that this could lead to a serious accident.

Good luck and keep us all up to speed  :welcome:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal