i30 Owners Club

i30 Battery dead...Replacement after 7yrs

dammit · 26 · 4778

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
After 7 years my original i30 2012 FD (Trophy) model battery is looking on its last legs. It has been awesome - factory battery lasting 7 years!, but twice in the past 2 months it has been completely flattened, once by children leaving interior light on, the other by me accidentally not shutting the door properly :(

First jump start Allianz roadside said the battery health level was 20 (??) from memory. Apparently anything under 40 or 50 battery needs replacing. Second time they said it says 0. They jump started it and it got me home, haven't tried since.

Is there a chance it will charge up again as I drive and continue on its glory? Or should I just not risk it anymore and get a new one?

Can I change a battery myself, is it just a case of unscrewing two terminals, take out and replace? Or is there more to it?

Allianz want $210 for a replacement but I don't know the make/model. Should I get a Century 75D23L MF? They are about $215 supply only. I will check if that is the battery Allianz roadside is offering but I suspect it would be a lower brand/model.
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd get the Century.
You'll lose your radio programs unless you have a little 9v battery adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
Thanks for the feedback. It consistently starts and never has been an issue except if the darn lights are left on- but is it time to bite the bullet?

I know the radio code off by heart luckily :) !

Do you think I can change it myself?
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the feedback. It consistently starts and never has been an issue except if the darn lights are left on- but is it time to bite the bullet?

I'm tight and I know "money is money" but it would be a "no brainer" for me.

Like you say 7 years is a good innings (seems to be quite a common lifespan on here). I wouldn't risk being stranded as it is only a matter of time before it dies completely.

No problem changing it yourself, although places like Supercheap will fit them for a few dollars and their prices on Batteries are usually pretty competitive especially if they have a sale on.  :cool: They may even have a facility to dispose of the old one?

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
7 years   :clapthanks:
Same as my daughter's 2012 Trophy , bet yours is red too.
Not difficult to change,  but might be easier to get some else to do it.
NRMA Aetc come change for you as well.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My, son now has it, 2007 fd crdi still has original in it.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
In your climate,  unfarkingbelievable   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah. But the car has been sitting in the garage unused for five years.   :rofl:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Or the original is sitting in a box in the boot.  :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I know.
I'm going to help.  :P

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

This answer might be a bit brutal but, NO!

Mentioned this to my wife  :cool: who advises you to follow Dazz's advice and get some kid at Supercheap to do it for you.

She also says that if the polarity ( + sign and - sign) is reversed, you will fry some wiring, kill ECU etc.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline aullah

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
I've got a i30 FD (Nov. 2009) and I replaced the OEM battery only two days ago, so it's lasted me almost 10 years.

I replaced the battery myself with the Yuasa YBX5000 (YBX5012). The battery is not the same size as the OEM one, but 012 is the closest fitting size I believe we can get for our i30 FD's. Also it's worth noting that the YBX5012 battery doesn't naturally fit with our positive terminal cover, some people have modified/cut their cover, whereas I managed to brute force it in with no harm.

Removing the battery requires removing 3 bolts (2 x 10mm, 1x 12mm). The sizes are from memory but if you'd like me to confirm I can do, please let me know. The 10mm holds the positive and negative terminals in place, whilst the 12mm holds the battery bracket in place. The battery holder bracket and bolt maybe rusted (as was in my case) therefore I sprayed WD40 and used a lot of force to unscrew.

Feel free to let me know if you need any further details. :-)
  • Hyundai i30 (FD)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I've got a i30 FD (Nov. 2009) and I replaced the OEM battery only two days ago, so it's lasted me almost 10 years.  etc etc :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler:
Feel free to let me know if you need any further details. :-)

Thats fairly obvious.  :head_butt:

What you guys are doing is leading the OP into a danger zone,  :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty:

The above action is beyond his capabilities.

However, you all rat on about the obvious, encouraging the OP, without recognising the fact that the OP will probably burn his house down.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

I'm tight and I know "money is money" but it would be a "no brainer" for me.

Like you say 7 years is a good innings (seems to be quite a common lifespan on here). I wouldn't risk being stranded as it is only a matter of time before it dies completely.

No problem changing it yourself, although places like Supercheap will fit them for a few dollars and their prices on Batteries are usually pretty competitive especially if they have a sale on.  :cool: They may even have a facility to dispose of the old one?

Yes, 7 years is a good innings - highly unlikely the replacement will do the same.

Century MF (most Century on shelf are MF) are nowhere near as good as those of old - on 2nd in the Corolla and went to SCA after 2 failures in the XR6 - dropped cells. I recommend paying the extra for the "upgrade" battery - extra 12 months warranty (on non 4x4) over the regular - the chances of you needing the warranty outweigh not needing it IMO.

Buy the right battery - battery in the car not on the list for Century = Warranty Void.

Supercheap - yes you can dispose old batteries for no cost (at most if not all).

Getting fitted at SCA - pay the extra $5 or $10 for "deluxe" fitment - what does that get you you say? extra 6 months warranty and some terminal protector. Staff won't fit if not trained - training 1 day Century course. Not all stores offer battery fitment. If you are busy - try and make an appointment, make sure they have staff ready to go - don't wait till dies and its a busy day.

Source - work at SCA and fit lots of batteries and also deal with plenty of warranties (and have my own experiences).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Josh! Excellent.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Called at son's earlier and checked out the battery in his car, my first i30 bought in September 2007.

It is the original battery and here are photo's.
Says solite on side of it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My old 2011 i30 has the battery fail after about 3 1/2 years, but the dealer reckoned it wasn't the original battery, so the previous dealer must have swapped it for an inferior type. Fitted a new Bosch S4 battery which I've just replaced after 5 1/2 years with a Yuasa battery.

On my current 2015 GD diesel, the dealer said they checked the battery at a service  - just over 3 years old - and said it was showing signs of deterioration. As I had some long drives into the highlands of Scotland during winter, I decided to replace it with a Yuasa AGM battery. This failed after 5 months, but I received a replacement battery without any problems. In the interim, I just stuck the old battery back in, the car runs fine, so I'll hang on to it as a spare.

Fitting is easy enough, on my GD I had to unclip the air-filter to make room for getting the +ve terminal into position. I did lose the clock settings and radio presets, but easy enough to do. Undo the -ve battery terminal first, so there's less risk of shorting out the battery when undoing the +ve terminal. Do this in reverse when putting the new battery in, +ve first, then -ve.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
My 2017 PD SR battery has died. Got back from site, and not started for 9 days completely dead, zero volts. thought i had left a light on but no.  It has been on charge for 4 hours, and only holding 2.5V so not looking good.
The most charge recently has been around 12.3V but still starting, until today

Not sure warranty claim as unsure on Hyundai batteries, but 2.5 years is shortest battery life ever had with any car I have owned.  :disapp: yes i have powerful amps but batteries should last longer these days

• 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm fairly sure warranty on the battery would be void with that kind of audio setup, dashcams feeding off the main battery will also void their warranty.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Also it's worth noting that the YBX5012 battery doesn't naturally fit with our positive terminal cover, some people have modified/cut their cover, whereas I managed to brute force it in with no harm.Feel free to let me know if you need any further details. :-)

Probably a bit late now but YBX5027 was a perfect drop in replacement.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I'm fairly sure warranty on the battery would be void with that kind of audio setup, dashcams feeding off the main battery will also void their warranty.

So what recommendations and where would you go for replacement? it may need to be RAC Battery call out service as missus is using her Getz today   :crazy2: :phone1:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Supercheap sell Century batteries and I replaced the original with one of those. Take the car down there if you can and make sure you get the right one, specifically that the battery cables fit the battery post. They might even fit it for you and take the old one away for the win.

:link: Batteries | Century, Katana, SCA & Optima | Supercheap Auto

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Supercheap sell Century batteries and I replaced the original with one of those. Take the car down there if you can and make sure you get the right one, specifically that the battery cables fit the battery post. They might even fit it for you and take the old one away for the win.

Batteries | Century, Katana, SCA & Optima | Supercheap Auto

New Supercheap 283725 Century HP DIN53LH MF 500 CCA battery fitted with 24 months warranty for $248 plus extra 6 months warranty as they fitted it for $15, and dispose of not really that old battery at 2 years 3 months :Shocked:

I could have easily done it myself,  :whistler: but Supercheap Damo was keen as  :goodjob: 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Personally I would have gone up in the battery size rather than down, I bet the RAC guy if he’d done it would have suggested a 650cca minimum.

Scott it might pay to set your  cam up with an external battery, I’d bet that is what shortened the life of your last one.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Personally I would have gone up in the battery size rather than down, I bet the RAC guy if he’d done it would have suggested a 650cca minimum.

Scott it might pay to set your  cam up with an external battery, I’d bet that is what shortened the life of your last one.

Agreed Craig, it would be better to fit a larger battery with more juicy amperes, and a dedicated separate battery for Blackvue DR750 Camera. However, I will probably sell/ trade car next year.  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal