i30 Owners Club

Clonking noise on uneven roads

feldom · 45 · 34442

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have moved this as it would appear to be that a mix of models have the issue.

I noticed at the weekend that my front tear wear is extremely uneven and I am guessing that this is related to the clonking noise I have, along with a slight pull to the left.  Going to the dealer this afternoon, I have a waiting appointment so I may be some time........................
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I have moved this as it would appear to be that a mix of models have the issue.

I noticed at the weekend that my front tear wear is extremely uneven and I am guessing that this is related to the clonking noise I have, along with a slight pull to the left.  Going to the dealer this afternoon, I have a waiting appointment so I may be some time........................

Take android and post live updates.....We'll want to know:

1. whats the coffee like
2. How polite they are
3. Do you get TV to watch
4. Do you get to watch them work

etc..........

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
:D

Coffee is very nice.

TV is on BBC News.

Yes they are very polite, perhaps more so given they remembered that they scratched her the last time they she was in!!

Yes you can watch them work.

Mechanic took me on the road test, which only needed to be round the workshops, as the noise is more evident at slow speed than road speeds.

Agreed with me that there is a clonk.

Stuck her up on the ramps and checked the usual suspects, he spoke about the shocker liners, strut mounts, torsion bars etc, etc, all the things we know about from here.

Guess what, typical in the world of bumpkin, I don't have any of the usual issues, despite hearing the noises and looking, then taking another Hyundai technician round the building, they can't see anything obvious, so she is booked in for a full day on Thursday to see if they can identify the source of the noise!

To be continued............

Sent from my 1000ET

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Reminds of early problems with the Ford Focus mark 2s. However Ford were reluctant to do anything to sort a well known problem unless you had a decent dealership near you.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Well, a similar coincidence.
Just returned from Dealer, after having a new radio fitted (A-200FDE. S/W:V1.00.EUR EEPROM FD20E G4J).

Mentioned rear end clonking noise, vehicle to be returned in next week, Technician said it required a Hyundai Modification to the rear bump stops, i.e. replacement.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Just returned from Dealer, after having a new radio fitted (A-200FDE. S/W:V1.00.EUR EEPROM FD20E G4J).

Radio topic split off

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=8395.0

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline snappers

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Colchester
mine had its 3 yr service and i mentioned the knocking sound i was getting from rear near side wheel area! they had the whole back end off and couldnt find a problem. They took it out for a drive and could hear the noise but when it was on the lift it didnt make it! I have now booked it in for them to look at it again different hyundai garage. Will mention everything you lot have said and will try the boot cover later!

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Just picked mine up, OSF anti-roll bar replaced under warranty, topped up washer bottle, checked oil level, washed and vaccumed free of charge! :goodjob:

Shame about the new scratch on the drivers door :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:idea: Do you reckon they are trying to reduce the value of your trade in??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Just picked mine up, OSF anti-roll bar replaced under warranty, topped up washer bottle, checked oil level, washed and vaccumed free of charge! :goodjob:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

new scratch :mad: not good, people are not careful enough. I would not be happy.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I suggest you search this topic because I recall others have had a similar problem but I don't personally know the answer  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
Oops...the plastic cover over the suspension has come loose again. I recognised the clonking noise right away. This is the third time this has happened and will mean another trip back to the dealer for more glue I'm guessing.

Offline Drew_81

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• 2012 GD i30 Premium in Sleek Silver
Is it possible this 'clonking' noise is happening on the Korean built models too?  After reading it, I'm starting to wonder if this is the clonking noise coming from the rear of my car... I've eliminated everything inside the boot to no avail.  Might have to check the suspension.
  • 2012 GD i30 Premium

ouri30
Is it possible this 'clonking' noise is happening on the Korean built models too?  After reading it, I'm starting to wonder if this is the clonking noise coming from the rear of my car... I've eliminated everything inside the boot to no avail.  Might have to check the suspension.

It's worth noting that the suspension is different on Australian GD i30 and Euro GD i30.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal