i30 Owners Club

Petrol Consumption

Sampain · 12 · 3765

Offline Sampain

• 2nd Gear
Hi all,
Had the car (1.4 Classic) since the end of March and just passed the 1000 miles mark on returning from a trip to France.

Around town we have been averaging (according to the readout) 30 MPG and this went up to 36.4MPG on the longer trip.

Are these reasonable figures and is the readout accurate?
If these are not reasonable, what should we be expecting?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
It depends on whether you have reset the econometer at any point, if the figure you are seeing has not been reset, you are seeing the average consumption since you purchased the car.

As a comparison with the 1.6 petrol I am currently sitting on about 34 for round town and this rises to about 39 on a longer trip (according to the gauge, but I find it reads a bit low compared to actual consumption).
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Sampain

• 2nd Gear
Bumpkin, thank you.

This is the reading since we purchased the car (there were only about 35 miles on the clock).

I will keep an eye on it as we go.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
If you press the trip button and hold it, it will reset and allow you to see what you are getting since the reset.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I'm only halfway through my third tankful on 690 miles from new.

When I first got it, it indicated that it was doing 29mpg for the short runs I normally do (usually about one and a half miles from cold). It has improved to 31 as indicated by the trip computer.

Doing 32.5 just at the moment but I surmise that that may be due to the warm weather. Or it may be that the engine is 'loosening up'.

I've only done a couple of longish (20 mile +) trips and it showed about 46mpg.

One other thing I've noticed is that doing 80-100+ on the motorway sends it down to below 30. :)

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
I found that economy does gets better after the first few thousand miles
The 1.4 'sweet spot' seems to be between 35-40mph in 5th gear, when I can get over 50mpg. The gear ratio plays a part in this as many other cars are most economical at 55-60mph.
You should achieve the following approximate figures at constant speed on flat roads using aircon.
40mph = 50mpg
60mph = 45mpg
70mph = 40mpg
80mph = 35mpg (allegedly as I never exceed 70mph officer)

Offline PUFC Guy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Telford

• Telford UK
Now done 5300 miles and starting to get some decent mileages, however, why when I fill the tank does it say 377 miles to empty no matter how carefully I drove it before filling up? Does the range to empty not keep up with my improving MPG? It only starts to take account when I've done about 100 miles of a tank then starts to slow down the rate that the distance to empty drops.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Now done 5300 miles and starting to get some decent mileages, however, why when I fill the tank does it say 377 miles to empty no matter how carefully I drove it before filling up? Does the range to empty not keep up with my improving MPG? It only starts to take account when I've done about 100 miles of a tank then starts to slow down the rate that the distance to empty drops.
Same happens to me, predicts about 330 miles when full but end up getting 400+.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yeah mine does that too 330'ish predicted, well over 400 in the end :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just put in £20 (17.5 litres) and mine went from, I think 140 miles to 340 miles.

This equates to adding miles based on 54 miles per gallon so I'll see how it goes.

Interestingly the readout on the dash shows 54.4 mpg
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Interestingly the readout on the dash shows 54.4 mpg

And these petrol-heads still can't see the benefits that us oil-burners get :D :P 60mpg all the way (sorry to all you gasoline guzzlers :))
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yeah I hear you, but still happy as a "petrol-head" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal