i30 Owners Club

microsoft want you to buy windows 10. i think.

ABSi30 · 21 · 3599

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Windows xp was on my old desktop pc that went so i now have a new desktop with windows 10 on. laptop had Vista that went and it looks like 7 will soon be out. To overcome this i cleaned the hard drive on laptop loaded on Ubuntu Kylin 32 bit. Its Chinese but you can put English pages on to load in your bookmarks. Although it takes a bit of moving things here and there it works a treat. My laptop was too good to throw out although it was 8 years old it now has a new lease of life. Quick in starting up and can be taken away on holiday to load photographs onto and use wi- fi.  So nothing to loose. We have a Chinese meal every weekend treat so any problems i can ask them at the take away.   
                                                                                                                         :goodjob2:  :happydance:  :goodjob:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I put Ubuntu on a wxp laptop. Works a treat. Set it up as dual boot so XP is still there.
But why did you use a Chinese version? Plenty of English options available for free download.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :wss:
No need for Chinese spyware.
I use Lucid Puppy Linux on my desktop as the ONLY system, while I also have Lucid Puppy Linux on a 1G USB on my keyring for taking over other machines, carrying my fully capable desktop with me everywhere. Only my Laptop has W7, which I often override with my keyring USB anyway. :victory:
ns
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Will have a look at the Lucid Puppy. It's just I was given Ubuntu on disc. When I tried to download it myself it was 4 hours. Don't have fibre it then would not open as it was a iso file. That was where I was stumped. Pleased at least there is plenty of Linux ones about. Back to the drawing board. :crazy2:

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
cannot say I am a windows enthusiastic, but the Linux needs a lot of tweaking to work well with Hebrew.
don't have the time or nerves for it. 
also don't have the nerves for the wife's and kids calls "it doesn't work  :phone1: :foottap: "
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Thanks for that yodm but I will stick with it as it makes my laptop good again. Hope someone can talk me through how to put puppy onto flash drive. The very easy way so that I don't have to start going into unchatered waters with this iso thing. Thanks"

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
In the standard Ubuntu there is a Startup Disk Creator application located in the System->Administration menu.  Google "how to use ubuntu startup disk creator" for detailed instructions.  However, I'm not sure if the app is in Kylin.

Good luck with it.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
PenDriveLinux and Lucid Puppy is all you need to get started. You can even create a stable of different Linux variants and boot into each one by swapping USBs to try each one out. :victory:

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Thanks for replies will try this today. Weather rain showers heavy at times.

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Tried to download lucid Puppy what a right carry on. Completely lost. Had mint on dvd so put that on better than the Kylin. So unable to get Puppy on in the correct file to boost up. How much is the postage from Australia to the UK. Thanks. Much easier to be in my i30.
                                                                                                                                   :crazy1: :crazy1: 

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Is your PC's BIOS set to boot from USB before HDD?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Why not just install the latest English version of Ubuntu? at least it's a complete operating system :link: Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Here is another Complete Operating System that I downloaded on the recommendation of a friend. It is Chinese, works well and is excellent for most things. I think MS has overstepped the mark with Windows 10 being so intrusive. Have a look at Phoenix, you just might like it.

Look here

:link: Phoenix OS - Phoenix OS

:link: Download Phoenix OS 64-Bit - MajorGeeks

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline andsome

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK
My favourite was Windows 7.  My present computer had Windows 10 on it when it was built for me, and I hated it.  I downloaded Classic Shell. It now looks more like Windows 7.

:link: classic shell download - Google Search
  • Not driving at present on medical grounds

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My favourite was Windows 7.  My present computer had Windows 10 on it when it was built for me, and I hated it.  I downloaded Classic Shell. It now looks more like Windows 7.

Yes, classic shell is good. I still prefer 7 which I run on 3 of our 4 PCs
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That's odd.
I needed Classic Shell with W8 but both my W10 versions come with the Classic Shell look standard.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I agree with the comment about Win 7, great OS but, you will find it increasingly difficult to install Win 7 if you are obliged to replace the CPU or the Motherboard as AMD and Intel appear to have come to agreements with MS that will make new hardware incompatible with any old version of Windows. Windows 10 will only be the GO

Look here and there are also plenty of other comments/posts on other sites, about this policy

:link: Microsoft says new processors will only work with Windows 10 - The Verge

So if you want to keep Win 7 forever buy up the old hardware now before the prices increase.

I moved to Win 10 Pro and (I think) I have stopped all Updates, except those I see as essential. Keys for Pro are available on sites like Ebay. My Key works fine

:link: Genuine Windows 10 Pro Key lifetime activation key | eBay

Perhaps I had no need at this time to move up to Win 10 Pro but it is now working fine and every bit as good even better than Win 7 and with Phoenix OS I will be able to run all my old software. My Flightsim program P3D v4 with Win 10 Pro is  brilliant, the graphics are extreme and I feel like I am in the cockpit again but without the stress.

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Great replies will have a look at them all. But my technical knowledge of some of these are nil. Never been much good, disc in load up style. Thanks.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Great replies will have a look at them all. But my technical knowledge of some of these are nil. Never been much good, disc in load up style. Thanks.
ABS your laptop should work well with Windows 10 Pro. See if one of your friends who is Tec informed could assist you.  Download the ISO from MS (it was free), burn a Win 10 Pro install disk, enter the Key to install and activate the OS. Disconnect from the internet then tweak Settings to stop Updates. You can do this in Win 10 Pro but not other editions of Win 10. If you cannot find a friend to help call on Mr Google for help and have a go. If you fail all you have to do is format your hard drive and reinstall another OS. If you pay my return fare to the UK I could assist you.

Good luck

PS I like to fly Qantas, I could organise a discount on the fare for you and if I stuffed you PC I would be very sorry. Now how is that for a deal

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Watch me undercut @Hornet

Meet me with your laptop in Madrid in November and I'll set it up for you. :whistler:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
ABS I respectfully withdraw my offer for 2 reasons (1) The offer by The Gonz will save you money and (2) You will probably get a better job done installing Win 10 Pro. I will not use other reasons like my Mrs and Doctor would not let me go.
If you do go to Madrid I will fly there in my Simulator and we could all have a virtual meeting there.

Seriously I wish you good luck with your PC. Don't be afraid of it, use Google, ask questions there and on sites like :link: Windows 10 Forums

I now know a little about how to fix and set up a PC from what I have read on these forums. Repairing other PCs for residents of the Retirement Village I live in keeps me busy and I feel good helping others.

Be brave, Install Win 10 Pro but don't blame me if you "Brick" you PC. Anyhow the Gonz will fix it at Madrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal