Dazzler's new Car (not a Commodore)

Dazzler · 65 · 13110

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If you hadn't already guessed about 9 days ago we traded our MY11 2.0 Petrol 5 Speed Manual CW for a 2014 i30 1.6 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Tourer. We also Traded my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid H for a 2014 Holden Calais V 6 Cyl Auto Sedan...

We are still adding bits to Trish's new Tourer (some from O/seas) so will post more pictures and info about that in another week or two...

Trish's  CW was about to turn 4 years old (even though it had only done 27,000 kms) She was very happy with it and had no warranty claims but I pushed her to upgrade to a new Tourer.. Must admit I was quite impressed during the test drive with the fit finish and performance of the little GDi motor.. Trish is slowly warming to the new car and I'm sure she will love it when fully customised.

I had been getting itchy feet for an update of my Hybrid with more goodies, but research on the net suggested most of the tweaking in the upcoming 2015 Camry Hybrid were going to be minor except for radical (read ugly) new styling..

I have been admiring the styling of the new VF commodore for a while as there are many Sports model variants cruising around Devonport... I test drove a V8 sports model (SS-V)  but fuel thirst was too scary for a Hybrid owner ... Then I saw the Calais V and found the V6 considerably less thirsty but still a good drive...

The Interior, features and a short term special offer sealed the deal. Next post will be some photos and details of the features and extra benefits we got..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Once again, congrats on the new Hyundai and Chevy. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
and Chevy. :whistler:
It would have to be the V8 to be anywhere related to the Chevy, and a HSV to be more precise as the HSV's also have a different wiring setup and other engine components compared to the normal V8's :winker:

Nice cars Dazz :goodjob2: If you ever want some tuning advice on the Calais just let me know :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We got our Calais during a special 100 hour promo so we got 5 years/130,000 Km warranty (Usually 3 years 100,000) 3 years free service (every 9 months or 15,000 kms) 5 years roadside assistance + some factory incentives which probably saved us another $1000 of the changeover...

This thing is loaded I will list the best features and post a few pictures afterwards...

One of my Favourites is HUD (Heads up display) which is easily adjusted for Mode, Brightness and Location and unlike BMW version can be seen with Polarised Sunnies....

Auto Headlights and Wipers (only had auto wipers once before -great feature)

Blind Spot Monitoring/ Collision avoidance System/ Lane departure Warning...

Reversing Camera (with front and rear sensors)

Very effective and stable Cruise Control.

5 x Stylish 19" alloys with 245/40 R19 Bridgestone Turanza Tyres (including the spare)

Full leather & suede interior (well on the bits that matter anyway)

Heated front seats (both have 8 way electric adjustment)

9 Speaker Bose Audio with 8" voice controlled Panasonic  head unit

Foot well and puddle lighting..

Push button start with proximity key entry

Nice bright DRLs

210 Kw /350 Nm 6 Cyl Motor with Combined economy of close to 9.0 L/100km

I think I've forgotten some stuff .. but here are a couple of photos and the 3rd post will be my impressions so far..

Spiffy interior

The Drls (like the positioning)

I use this heads up display setting but several other options exist (see below)

Even G force!

Just put one of these on (got it for $80 from someone who didn't use theirs)

Before Visor and mud flaps added yesterday... Those big tyres throw up a lot of crap!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

and Chevy. :whistler:
It would have to be the V8 to be anywhere related to the Chevy, and a HSV to be more precise as the HSV's also have a different wiring setup and other engine components compared to the normal V8's :winker:

Nice cars Dazz :goodjob2: If you ever want some tuning advice on the Calais just let me know :)

Thanks Craig (but don't think I need to tweak it .. I'm very careful insurance wise)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It would only be a maf less tune I would have suggested, doesn't affect warranty or insurance.

The benefits of maf less tuning would be you'd see that average 9.0 per 100km's drop to around 6.0 per 100km's with a 20/30 hp increase :)

What Holden don't like you doing is putting on extractors :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

OK now for my impressions so far..

After the Hybrid the town economy is a bit scary.. Close to 10 L/100 V 6.0 for the Hybrid.. but we live in a small city so not much traffic or waiting at lights..

Miss the stop start of the hybrid at lights and stuff but got to expect that after 4 years of Hybrid ownership...

Highway economy is fine (close to 8 L/100) giving a range of 750 to 800 kms..

Performance about the same as the Hybrid (which says a lot for the Hybrid, because this thing is quick!)

Electric steering is noticeably better than the Camry which was vague and "wandery" at the straight ahead...

The ride is a little firm on the 40 series tyres (about the same as the Hybrid in my opinion which was also a little firm) Trish reckons it is firmer but still ok

Reckon the styling is a lot nicer and more classy than the Hybrid (as is the interior) 

Fit and finish are Ok (nothing special and probably not as good as Trish's Tourer) - but no rattles in either so far.

Overall, very happy so far.. :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It would only be a maf less tune I would have suggested, doesn't affect warranty or insurance.

The benefits of maf less tuning would be you'd see that average 9.0 per 100km's drop to around 6.0 per 100km's with a 20/30 hp increase :)

What Holden don't like you doing is putting on extractors :disapp:

Can you tell me more by PM at some stage Craig...  :cool: :goodjob:

Like where do I get it done and how much?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Congratulations Dazz & Trish, very nice cars. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks John.. :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks nice, Dazz.

Hope I'm around to hear your comments if you have to buy replacement (19") tyres,  :happydance: :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks nice, Dazz.

Hope I'm around to hear your comments if you have to buy replacement (19") tyres,  :happydance: :snigger:

I did look into that Trev before I pressed the go button..

I know you can pay up for $500 - $600 each but you can get some reasonable Falken/Pirelli etc for under $300

:link: 245/40R19 Tyres - buy 245 40 19 tyres online for the best price

Hopefully by the time I need them in a couple of years they will be more popular = cheaper  :cool:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Congrats Dazz and Trish.

As someone who keeps my cars for 10 years I did smile when I read about the 5 year warranty cause I can't see you keeping them for longer than the new car smell lasts.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I believe there are US tyre websites that deliver to Australia too....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Looks nice, Dazz.

It'll be gone before that.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I better try and keep this one! :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks druggist :goodjob:

That is interesting beerman.. you would expect freight to be a killer though..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks nice, Dazz.

I did look into that Trev before I pressed the go button..

I know you can pay up for $500 - $600 each but you can get some reasonable Falken/Pirelli etc for under $300

:link: 245/40R19 Tyres - buy 245 40 19 tyres online for the best price

Hopefully by the time I need them in a couple of years they will be more popular = cheaper  :cool:
Fairynuff.

Just file away this info for when the time comes.
Not every tyre store has changers which can handle 19"  tyres. And even with the best equipment, because of the stiffness of the sidewalls, it's very easy to damage the beads on anything from 18" up.
So make sure you choose someone who has the right equipment AND is VERY competent. I also imagine the fitting and balancing charges at a store  which hasn't sold you the tyres will be at a premium.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Like the goodie list on this one Dazz :goodjob:

I did have a look at the UK equivalent at one point, never been a Vauxhall man though, despite the Insignia being one of the better looking models of recent years.

Nice job!

PS do you get the lifetime warranty on this one that we would get here?  Not transferrable but sticks with the first owner up to 100k miles.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Even Clarkson reckons that the current Vauxhall range - Corsa, Astra and Insignia - are the best styled of the volume producers.

However - they are getting a reputation for unreliability. One of my sons-in-law who is a manager of an insurance loss adjusters has a top of the range company supplied Insignia and it has proved to be a lemon. I can't recall all the things that have gone wrong with it  - but he is not alone. Other members of his team have also had problems which have been so bad that his company are no longer buying Vauxhalls and have switched to Ford, VW and Audi depending on the employee's position in the company pecking order.  He can't wait for his Audi A4 to arrive in December.

It's a great pity because it is a nice looking car but road and engine noise lets it down.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Like the goodie list on this one Dazz :goodjob:

I did have a look at the UK equivalent at one point, never been a Vauxhall man though, despite the Insignia being one of the better looking models of recent years.

Nice job!

PS do you get the lifetime warranty on this one that we would get here?  Not transferrable but sticks with the first owner up to 100k miles.

Thanks Brian.. Have always preferred Holdens to Fords for some reason but this was the first Holden (GM) product I had considered buying for a very long time... 

Not lifetime warranty, but upgraded from standard 3 years 100,000 km warranty to 5 years 130,000 kms for a special Promo.. Should work OK for me as I do about 25K per year (so should just scrape in with mileage over the 5 years if I keep it that long...)

@ Alan..

Holden has had 5 recalls on this model but apparently two were related to LPG models. The dealer told me they were all 2013 plated cars but an internet search refutes that (I just discovered)  :fum:

Feedback on the VF commodore suggests most issues people are having are minor like the odd rattle or glitch with the stereo ...

Glad I have the 5 years warranty and 5 years roadside assistance...  :sweating:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Vauxhall just did a massive recall here yesterday, all Corsa's and Adams built since May 2014 have a potential steering column problem, owners advised not to drive until they have contacted their dealer.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, 10% of their production for the period, are affected.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Phil №❶
Yes, 10% of their production for the period, are affected.  :D

A significant proportion, apparently :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Totally irrelevant!  :TutTut: Hopefully..  :sweating:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Totally irrelevant!  :TutTut: Hopefully..  :sweating:
Yeah.
They should build their cars over here.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

BTW, The Bose stereo is awesome.. I tend to enjoy peace and quiet in the car, but playing more music than I have for a while as the new stereo just makes everything sound so good (even on low volumes)

Hearing lots of subtle sounds I hadn't picked up on before (and no they aren't rattles)  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
BTW, The Bose stereo is awesome.. I tend to enjoy peace and quiet in the car, but playing more music than I have for a while as the new stereo just makes everything sound so good (even on low volumes)

Hearing lots of subtle sounds I hadn't picked up on before (and no they aren't rattles)  :whistler:
My son has Bose speakers in his 2003 Mazda 6 Sports.
Awesome sound, even to my noticeably inefficient ears. :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My son has Bose speakers in his 2003 Mazda 6 Sports.
Awesome sound, even to my noticeably inefficient ears. :whistler:

I was thinking the same thing as I posted my comment.. with my average hearing it is a wonder I can tell the difference (but I can)

The basic Camry stereo was probably one step better than the basic i30 Stereo but this one is in another league..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal