i30 Owners Club

My old Mini ( the beast )

CraigB · 14 · 3678

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As requested by another member I'm posting a couple of photos of my old Mini, I no longer have it but I do miss it  :( I thought I had more photos laying around somewhere and if I find them I'll upload em, I had the roof painted to match the rest of the car - Recaro seats installed and the tinting done in later photos, and the oil cooler was moved to behind the front grill eventually.

1974 Cooper, 1430 engine ( BP100 fuel ) - 5spd conversion A+ Gearbox, Side Draft Webber and 13inch rims.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:12:17 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very nice!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Brilliant, had one years ago ( not a Cooper )  had to re ring the pistons just left the motor and front sub frame there and lifted the body back and stood the front on an oil drum easy peasy. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Brilliant, had one years ago ( not a Cooper )  had to re ring the pistons just left the motor and front sub frame there and lifted the body back and stood the front on an oil drum easy peasy. :goodjob2:
Good idea :) I still would have had to dismantle half the engine to do that as the Webber sat a couple of inches inside the firewall.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That is true Webbers were a tight fit ,had a friend that had a Cooper, used to frighten the life out of me when I was his passenger , boy did that Mini take corners fast. :Shocked:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That is true Webbers were a tight fit ,had a friend that had a Cooper, used to frighten the life out of me when I was his passenger , boy did that Mini take corners fast. :Shocked:
Double or triple the power of your friends Cooper and you are getting somewhere close to what this thing could do, Bathurst versions were 134 to 150 hp, mine was 215hp :D almost undrivable in wet weather because of the LSD.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:23:16 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Very nice. I love how the 13's look massive on it :)
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Looking good, Craig..  :goodjob2:

My Dad had 2 Mini's (850 ccm then a 1000 ccm) when I was very young.

Still amazes me how he could fit the luggage for 2 weeks vacation for 2 adults and 2 kids in that little boot.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't know how he would have fit all the luggage either, must have been packing pretty lite.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
We had a roof rack which was held in place with 4 suckers in each corner and a sort of clip which clamped on under the gutter rim.

It wasn't what i would say was solid and expected to see all the bags falling off.

i often wonder how they stayed on!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We had a roof rack which was held in place with 4 suckers in each corner and a sort of clip which clamped on under the gutter rim.

It wasn't what i would say was solid and expected to see all the bags falling off.

i often wonder how they stayed on!
I had one of those roof racks on my Cooper. Used it to transport my motorkhana tyres to events. Worked fine.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great looking machine Craig.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Wow Craig, thats a  great  example, no wonder you miss it :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wow Craig, thats a  great  example, no wonder you miss it :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Thanks, yes it seems a waste now when I look back at how much I enjoyed it, and I sold it to some silly teenage girl to use for mobile hairdressing :crazy1:

I did down tune it to standard unleaded for her before she took hold of it but it was still crazy enough to scare you senseless in.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal