i30 Owners Club

Replacement Tyres

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
As has already been discussed, the road noise in the i30 is a real problem.

Its so bad that I am seriously considering replacing the Hankook tyres with only 11,500 miles on them.

At 50 GBP a corner, replacing the tyres will not be cheap.

On that basis I need to be sure I am doing the right thing.

I understand that Goodyear and Conti 5's are the favoured options. However, according to manufacturers, the Hankook is 69db and the Goodyear and Conti are 71db.

Grateful for your input  :)
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Goodyear efficient grip performance in my tyre size are labelled as 68db. they can vary a little from size to size.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A friend is raving about Michelin Primacy ST that he has just put on his wife's accord!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do what i do and turn the radio audio up
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Previous tires was ContiPremiumContact 2 and now running Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. Don't really make any difference regarding noise. Have never tried the Hankook though. I use 195/65-15H
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Those Hankooks are nasty tyres. Just upgraded my 2014 1.8 Elite to the 2015 2.0 Elite LTD. the 1.8 had noisy Hankooks and on rough road they were loud. My new car has Nexen Roadian 581s and they are much quieter and have stiffer side walls. They are a great improvement in noise and performance. Get rid of those Hankooks!
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Those Hankooks are nasty tyres. Just upgraded my 2014 1.8 Elite to the 2015 2.0 Elite LTD. the 1.8 had noisy Hankooks and on rough road they were loud. My new car has Nexen Roadian 581s and they are much quieter and have stiffer side walls. They are a great improvement in noise and performance. Get rid of those Hankooks!
Depends on which Hankook version you are using, it's not the brand that is the issue but rather each versions design...my Hankook Ventus S1 Nobles are great :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 19:36:51 by CraigB »

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
The tests by the ANWB in Holland (RAC, AAC, equivalent) showed the Continentals may be slightly louder but stop your car much better and don't wear as fast. They came out as best buy. Hankooks came out as "Crap".

So if you want to quietly hit a wall, then Hankooks are the tyre for you, otherwise Continentals or Michelins.

IMHO  :goodjob:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
Thanks for the continuing opinion. Unfortunately I'm still none the wiser :lol:

Need to think some more about whether to splash the  cash or turn up the volume.........

Thanks again.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The tests by the ANWB in Holland (RAC, AAC, equivalent) showed the Continentals may be slightly louder but stop your car much better and don't wear as fast. They came out as best buy. Hankooks came out as "Crap".

So if you want to quietly hit a wall, then Hankooks are the tyre for you, otherwise Continentals or Michelins.

IMHO  :goodjob:
As I mentioned earlier it depends on which tyre you are using or being reviewed, I'm sure the ANWB would have only tested one maybe two tyres from each brand ( probably in the budget range ) to get their results, my Hankooks review quite well :link: Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 Tire Review & Rating

They are listed in the top ten high performance all season tyres :link: Top 10 High Performance All-Season Tires | Tire Reviews And More

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Craig, actually it's quite a comprehensive test that they do twice a year (winter and summer tyres).

I think it may have a geograhical element too..... Hyundai's are fitted with Conti's  as OEM's here because they're local (Germany).

Hankooks are Asian and would fit beter in your market.

All i know is that Hankooks obviously don't get the same press here as in Oz.

Oh, while i'm at it, the "green" tyres don't score that Well on safety here (bad braking distance), whichever test you look at.

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
Always thought Hankook were at the budget end of the tyre market.......

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
They certainly are here in Holland. Very much budget tyres.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The reviews I linked are from the US :wink: in Europe you probably don't review the high performance all season tyres I guess as you generally have to change between summer and winter...no snow or ice here ( unless in the southern eastern states ) so high performance all season tyres are perfect for our market.

Though our Hankooks here come from Korea, VW and a few other brand euro vehicles come OEM fitted with Hankooks from the Hungarian factory http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/about/news/single-news-view/article/hankook-tires-made-in-europe-as-original-fitment-for-vw.html?cHash=b5176bedc2
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 20:33:23 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There was a discussion about the quality and pricing of Continental tyres and their respective manufacturing origins IIRC.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Craig, actually it's quite a comprehensive test that they do twice a year (winter and summer tyres).

I think it may have a geograhical element too..... Hyundai's are fitted with Conti's  as OEM's here because they're local (Germany).

Hankooks are Asian and would fit beter in your market.

All i know is that Hankooks obviously don't get the same press here as in Oz.

Oh, while i'm at it, the "green" tyres don't score that Well on safety here (bad braking distance), whichever test you look at.
Craig and Phil are right.
There is a range of products in every brand. While I didn't like the original Hankooks on my car, there are definitely better options in their range.
It would be unfair to judge ANY brand on one or two of it's products.
Afer 35 years in the tyre industry, with one of the better manufacturers, I am familiar with the testing which is carried out by magazines and whilst it is generally professional and comprehensive, there are certain limitations which can't be overcome, so they are a guide at best.

And the cynic in me always reads which companies have advertised in the magazine in which the tests are run. Just to put things in perspective.  :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

I'm not implying that they're wrong or deluded or in any way "off" in their thinking.

As i mentioned, there seems to be a discrepancy in reporting between the continents (USA -> Europe -> AUS) and certainly any tests in Automotive magazines should be taken with a pinch of salt; that's a given, but.....

...... the ANWB doesn't advertise anything automotive. No cars, tyres, Ute's, vans, nothing. If they can be accused of anything it's who gets into there "Public Test Panel". They all seem to be hairdressers, eco-activists, nerds and farmers (so car tests aren't always technically useful).

It's a pity it's in Dutch, otherwise i'd post a link. They really are beholding to nobody. Just a set of standard tests under controlled circumstances with identical vehicles.

And, of course, not every manufacturer supplies all sizes, which can lead to someone not even being tested.

Anyway, my 2 cents is that in Europe i will always end up with Continental on my cars and bikes....... that's just my experience, built up over 38 years on the road.

But, i could be wrong  :faint:

(click to show/hide)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You can post a link, there is such a thing as translate :)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
You can post a link, there is such a thing as translate :)

If you think that would work. I've never seen one that did. But who am i to judge..........

Voila !!!!   :link: Zomerbandentest 2015 - ANWB

They go back a few years with different tyre sizes.

Just a quick word of warning...... there's a link to buy online......... nothing to do with the manufactures, just a tyre center (they couldn't care less who's tyres you buy as long as they fit and balance them)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Translate works pretty well on that article!  :victory: Cheers Dave :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As I thought they only test a couple of tyres from each brand so its definitely only a rough guide, I'd expect testing over a much broader range before I would go to the extent of saying one brand were "crap"

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
As I thought they only test a couple of tyres from each brand so its definitely only a rough guide, I'd expect testing over a much broader range before I would go to the extent of saying one brand were "crap"

The "crap" bit was me ..... If you're not in the top 3 then you've basically dropped the ball. I don't want my last thought as i careen off the road into a tree to be "... at least these tyres were quiet".

I need grip, good braking and steerability.

BTW....... over the years they've tried other manufacturers and sizes (right hand column somewhere) and mostly the best selling tyres per maker and size. Plus, we have the split Summer/Winter tyres (they test the Winter tyres yearly as well)

Anyway, it's all horses for courses, wallet size and personal preference at the end of the day.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I had original Hankooks (412 if I remember correctly) as summer tyres. I changed them back on after the winter and drove couple of weeks. Had to byu new set of tyres because the hankooks started to be somewhat dangerous. Wheels started to spin on wet road with the massive 66kW power of my car  :evil:. The rubber was old (tyres were made 2008) so that was probably the main reason for poor grip. They still had 4mm depth in the pattern so they weren't so worn out.

There was a summer tyre test in one magazine. Continental premimum grip 5 won the test and Nokia Hakkapeliitta was close second. I was going to buy Nokias, but then I heard of a good sale on the Continentals. Bought those and haven't had any regrets. Grip is amazing. Nice surprise was that the milage did not change at all. I would have thought that "grippier" tyres might increase fuel consumption. The noise is pretty much same with both tyres. I think i30 is a bit noisy car when compared to many others, but that does not bother me. Just crank the volume up from the radio. I drive with 195/65-15 tyres.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
 :whsaid: I have the same Continental tyres under my new i30, straight from the factory.

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
Goodyear efficient grip performance in my tyre size are labelled as 68db. they can vary a little from size to size.

The noise rating on tyres is for external noise, not cabin noise unfortunately.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Just put a set of Michelin Primacy 3ST's on Mrs' GD.
Factory originals were Nexen and they went pretty well.
Not particularly noisy, handled my road conditions very well and were wearing great, but despite rotating them at each service, they lost their edges.
Heaps of centre tread but edges gone. Came from running at 35psi and stopped as soon as I pushed them to 40, but road noise and ride quality suffered. 
They had 75,000k's on them, nowhere near the depth markers and would have gone another 15 at least. Light underpowered car with generous rubber is easy on tyres.
Michelin are having a bit of a sale at present, cost $134 per corner which I thought was OK.
So the drive home, Michelins were much quieter than the Nexens.
Had an odd noise at 110 until I realised it was engine induction noise, not audible before.
Checked them once at home and yep 35psi, so up they went to 40.
There goes ride quality and hello noise again.
  • i-30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal