i30 Owners Club

I have replaced battery in the key on my I30 it winds over but wont start please

Muppet · 6 · 2181

Offline Muppet

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: When you swapped battery maybe immobiliser chip fell out (little white? chip I think) :undecided:

Do you have a spare key you can try? (I'm guessing not)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
:welcumwagon: When you swapped battery maybe immobiliser chip fell out (little white? chip I think) :undecided:

Do you have a spare key you can try? (I'm guessing not)  :Pout:

The immobiliser chip is, relatively, not anywhere near the battery compartment - it shouldn't be able to come loose in the fob, and I hope even if it didn't it wouldn't be able to fall out via the battery compartment opening.   Of course if the fob-case has previously been replaced and it was opened for battery reinstall - that could be a different story...
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@Muppet - Did you replace the battery in the key because the car winds over but won't start? or for some other reason - if so what? Probably won't be relevant but you never know.

And like Dazzler mentioned - do you have a spear spare you could try?

Also does the immobiliser dash light (car shape with key on top/in it) go out or stay on when you try to start?   It should go out soon after they key is successfully recognised - if it isn't it indicates they key isn't being seen/recognised.   In an FD model the key needs to be in the ignition - part of this is so a 'coil' built into the ignition can power the RFID chip so as to determine to deactivate the immobiliser.   In the GD I believe the process is similar (but the fob no longer needs to be very close to the 'coil').   In an FD the coil has occasionally been known to fail.

FYI the battery only powers the key-less entry aspect of the car (at least in the FD - up to 2012 - generation; I am pretty sure same for GD - 2012 onward).   The immobiliser aspect of the car is controlled by an RFID (or similar) type chip which doesn't use a battery (it takes it's power from the signal used to read the chip) - with an active immobiliser the car will turn over but won't start, however a number of other things could cause the same behaviour.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:43:21 by ibrokeit »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@Muppet
And like Dazzler mentioned - do you have a spear you could try?

:Shocked:

Bit harsh
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@Muppet
And like Dazzler mentioned - do you have a spear you could try?

:Shocked:

Bit harsh

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well you know - sometimes it is better to let out the frustration....   :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal