i30 Owners Club

Fresh air or Recirc? Why does my i30 decide what's best?

Mutley · 25 · 7608

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
It seems to me that sometimes when I turn the car on, the climate control switched to outside air when I had left it on inside. It doesn't do it every time though :eek: It's like Mya is saying to me, "You need some fresh air!" This is all well and good except when you haven't realised and you're in traffic and you get a truck with bad fumes.

So it's good AND bad..

Anyone else get this?

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Hmmm never noticed.
Will keep a watchful eye on it!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I know the high-level driver vents have been mentioned before. But now I've been using my aircon a lot more, I've noticed that my hands on the wheel are directly between the vents and my face. This means my hands get cold before my face gets cool.

Pip
It seems to me that sometimes when I turn the car on, the climate control switched to outside air when I had left it on inside. It doesn't do it every time though :eek: It's like Mya is saying to me, "You need some fresh air!" This is all well and good except when you haven't realised and you're in traffic and you get a truck with bad fumes.

So it's good AND bad..

Anyone else get this?

I've never had Climate Control before so don't know if ours is good or bad by comparison. It often seems to be getting it wrong though like turning on the A/C in winter (when I'd be turning on the heater) because it thinks it needs to demist even though I can see perfectly. I also need to turn up the temperature when I want to get warm and turn it down when I want to get cooled.

I think I prefer normal controls.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I've never had Climate Control before so don't know if ours is good or bad by comparison. It often seems to be getting it wrong though like turning on the A/C in winter (when I'd be turning on the heater) because it thinks it needs to demist even though I can see perfectly. I also need to turn up the temperature when I want to get warm and turn it down when I want to get cooled.

:eek: :eek:  Be fair Pip, if you have the heater set to windscreen it stands to reason that when you switch on the A/C it thinks you want to demist, it doesn't know you can see perfectly it is making a logical assumption based on where you the user position the control, change the heater control to feet and it won't do it............just like normal controls.

Similarly with normal controls do you turn it to the blue bar when you want to heat up and the red bar to cool down??
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Pip

:eek: :eek:  Be fair Pip, if you have the heater set to windscreen it stands to reason that when you switch on the A/C it thinks you want to demist, it doesn't know you can see perfectly it is making a logical assumption based on where you the user position the control, change the heater control to feet and it won't do it............just like normal controls.

Similarly with normal controls do you turn it to the blue bar when you want to heat up and the red bar to cool down??

You misunderstand, I'm not setting to windscreen nor turning on the A/C. It does! For instance, I get out at on a Winter's night with controls set to feet and 26 degrees C and taking outside air. Once the engine heats this is nice and cosy and how I like it. The next morning when its 5 degess it might (it's inconsistent) decide to recirculate air and demist... all by itself, when as I said, I see fine and just want to get warm ASAP.

It has a mind of its own and I assume it is supposed to be intelligent but its decision making is limited and to my mind quite often wrong. 

And when I'm distracted by traffic and don't work out why I'm still freezing my tits off instead of starting to get warm after a bit, I reckon you could hear me swearing from there.  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Ahhhhh...............sorry :-[

In that case I would suggest you need to get it looked at, mine always comes backs on in whatever position I left it..............................
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
And when I'm distracted by traffic and don't work out why I'm still freezing my tits off instead of starting to get warm after a bit, I reckon you could hear me swearing from there.  :lol:

Ah..that explains a lot.. I always thought you were a bloke  :lol:

But seriously mine is not too bad except that when you put it on screen and the aircon cuts in it tends to blow cool air out of all the vents (and the wife complains  :rolleyes:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is interesting and needs to be in a separate thread.

Here goes....
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Ahhhh I wondered where my post went lol.

I agree with Pip. I have it set to warm my feet and it decides that it needs to blow a little on the windscreen which fogs it up and I have to press the front demister button to cool it back down but it was already clear before it decided to heat up there!!!.

I have worked out that if it is set to head only it will not blow air on the windscreen. It's quite annoying having to demist the windscreen every few mins just cos it thinks it needs to blow warm air on it to fog it up!

My climate control in the prelude is much better, just does whatever I tell it to, none of this misconceived 'smart' stuff.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

So it's good AND bad..

Anyone else get this?
I've noticed all of your cars are the slx or equivalent.my cars are both sx models and don't have climate control and still do as you've mentioned. if you start the car it automatically changes to fresh from recirculated air.  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

So it's good AND bad..

Anyone else get this?
I've noticed all of your cars are the slx or equivalent.my cars are both sx models and don't have climate control and still do as you've mentioned. if you start the car it automatically changes to fresh from recirculated air.  :mad:
Interesting. Mine's an SX - no climate control but the settings never vary, except once when I hit that "windscreen demist" button by mistake. I was aiming for the rear demister. Then I couldn't turn it off and it kept resetting other controls. Had to RTFM to fix it.
That said, I don't suppose that particular button is lit up on your dash??
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i only noticed this morning,put the heater on flat out and the fan also.i put the button on recirculate so it will warm up faster [2c at 5am thismorning] when the car was started up after work tonight my son noticed it had turned itself on to fresh.i asked the wife if her cw also does this and she said it does.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some car manuals strongly recommend running fresh air rather than recirculating as much as possible as recirculated air encourages drowsiness...Which I do (only swap to recirculating if following a smoky vehicle or a truck full of smelly cattle...) :wink:

So I guess the i30 defaults to fresh air for a reason  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did I read somewhere in the manual that there is some "anti-fogging logic" that can be changed by pressing some combination of buttons?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Did I read somewhere in the manual that there is some "anti-fogging logic" that can be changed by pressing some combination of buttons?

I'd like to see that.... :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
blast the screen for a while with the air con,that works.  :idea:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Yes I'm sure there's something in there, relating to the recirc button. If I wasn't so busy on't t'internet working I'd have a look myself.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
mines an SX and its never changed from recirc to fresh or vicea versa... always stays where i put it!!

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions

So would I :eek: :eek: :eek:

Interesting you guys saying that your SX does it. Maybe it's something to do with the front demist button.

EDIT: The book says when pointed only at the feet a small amount of air is directed to the windshield and side window defroster. It also says the "Prolonged operation of the heater in the recirculated air position (without a/c selected) may cause fogging of the windshield and side windows." More - "To prevent interior fog on the windshield, set the sir intake control to the fresh air position and fan speed to the desired position, turn on the a/c and adjust temperature control to desired temperature."

Defogging logic: "To reduce the possiblity of fogging up the inside of the windshield, the air intake or a/c are controlled automatically according to certain conditions." Such as pointing at your feet. To cancel the defogging logic refer to page 4-84 in your manual.

What I have noticed in the last couple of days is that if I have my a/c turned on even if I set the temp to 27° to warm me up I don't get fog but if I have the a/c off I get fog.

Still not sure about the switching from inside to outside though.....I guess it's this defogging logic thing..

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I knew I'd seen it, but maybe it's not so relevant

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's also other info around that section regarding if and when recirc is automatically selected. I dunno. I'm supposed to be working right now :lol: :rolleyes:

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Yeah I read it all, I posted all the relevant info except your pic (thanks for that).

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
There is another combination of pressing buttons for the manual air con set up.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
There is another combination of pressing buttons for the manual air con set up.
If you are talking about the defogging thing then the pic above explains both manual and auto...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal