i30 Owners Club

turbo on a petrol i30

2i30s · 38 · 17250

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
has anyone turboed a petrol i30 and what size was used? i found a posting from february 09 but theres no reply or pics to mention it was done. :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
no one has yet obviously.i might be the first with a little research. :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Some only visit weekly or so .. so it's still possible you'll get a reply m8
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NDT07

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kalgoorlie

• 18 incher's on their way!!!!!!

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
i brought one of these babies awaiting shipping,
i think that the added draw on the alternator may outway the gain in hp keep you posted when it lobs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-ELECTRIC-SUPERCHARGER-ELECTRIC-TURBO-KIT-5-PSI_W0QQitemZ330354251723QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4ceaa5d7cb&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Hmm not too sure how thats going to work.  When you are driving normally, the engine has to breathe through the stationary compressor?  I'm a sceptic on these sorts of devices until I'm proven wrong.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think it would be tricky to find a place to fit it and a filter under the bonnet?

Also 24v not 12v motor. And you can only use if for 15 seconds or it will overheat  :'(

How does the ECU understand to inject more fuel, does it require some tuning box to control air flow meter and mixture?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
keep us informed on its h/p gain[or loss] ndto7  cheers  steve. :cool:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Unless the MAP sensor has a wide range, it will not sense the manifold pressure increase, and you could risk leaning out, detonation and 'ventilated' pistons.  Also the ECU might throw up the check engine light seeing that its not expecting to read any more than about 102kPa absolute pressure.  Will be interesting to see how it goes.  Might want to check exhaust oxygen levels when its switched on to make sure its not leaning out.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's why I'm asking any Guinea pigs that might have tried already.but I'm only wanting to go the size of a crdi turbo. :razz:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

There's no reason why you couldnt do a safe, reliable turbo conversion on the petrol, just needs to be done correctly.  You can get off-the-shelf 2bar and 3 bar MAP sensors, aftermarket computer, dyno tune - should be sweet!  I think the turbo you would need would be a fair bit bigger than whats on the diesel i30 standard.  Its only sized for around the 100kW mark it seems.  I'm no expert - but i'm pretty sure you could do a reliable setup for a reasonable cost.  It would take some time to build a base map for the fuel and timing on the dyno, so you have to pay the tuner and the dyno for the time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The amount of modified i30's in Korea you would think there would be an off the shelf solution for the petrol model (which is the most popular in Korea...)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

The amount of modified i30's in Korea you would think there would be an off the shelf solution for the petrol model (which is the most popular in Korea...)

Yeah good point Dazz, hardware-wise you would think there would be an exhaust manifold available to suit.  Not sure about the software tho - you could probably get a good base to start with but you still need to perfect it on the dyno, as fuel and atmospheric conditions are quite a bit different.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Looks like the seppos have been making them for older models. I think the petrol i30's here in Australia are Beta II engines?  It says they are all no longer made - wonder why that is?  Maybe people stopped buying them.

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/alpine/alpine_hyundai.html

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that was an excellent source of ideas,thanks LDL.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Did you see the prices in US dollars... :eek: (not a cheap exercise)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
not cheap,but I'm only looking and thinking about it so far,might not even happen.$$$$ :lol:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Put one of these on your car ;)

http://www.turbowhistler.net/

LOL!

Hahaha thats classic

As a cheapo turbo, just make the following sounds while driving:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
or
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
or
SRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
midweek im going to look at a supercharger kit and a few turbo kits at a shop called the horsepower factory.they do fitted and over the counter kits. :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm now looking for a donor engine to make a turbo 2.0.its to expensive to do what i want,so I'm going full rebuild on another motor.I'm looking at 250 hp or more.i may even use another i30  from a wreckers,im looking realy hard for one at the moment.a supercharger wont fit on a road reg,d car and be legal so may just build a race car instead. :rolleyes:  sorry about waisting anyones time. :'( :'(

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey man,
i was one of the guys looking at turboing his i30, found out it was like a gran for a turbo manifold, i can get a turbo off a mate for really nothing, he just took it out of his subaru forestor gt (22b engine) but then you got to run custom exhaust from there back oil and water piping, and you also need to get a ecu, its alot of work just to turbo the i30 engine, i was going to start looking at engines that are turboed already, e.g the new mazda 3 turbo, ive heard rumours those are very similar to the i30 engine, so just a heads up aye.

cheers
ash

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
in korean pics #124 and 12 pics from the top,have a look at the supercharged i30. :cool:   also in korean pics#2 look 20 pics down,is that an i30 with a v6 turbo. :eek: :razz:

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
i would love to put a v6 magna engine or something v6 into the i30 (im just a lil power hungry) and i like the v6 magna engines. turbo would be a piece of cake but you would have to get a lsd for power output maybe though just a thought now, where did i put my screw driver... haha. nah time to look for dimensions on a magna v6 i'll be bak and tell ya if it can or cant fit and if its still legal!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
got quoted this morning on a full ,nothing more to do turbo conversion,performance wise 270kw [361.2hp]$10.500.I've now changed my mind about doing what i wanted. :'(  but wouldn't that sort of power be nice. :mrgreen: a lotto ticket might help me one day :lol:

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Mate im still looking, to do mine. So basically 10k is a rip OFF.

We are looking at about 1k for a manifold from korea, or $950 for a custom one in AUS from several people i rang. So korea it is coz they are tested and haven proven to have great exhaust flow.

The MAP sensor will need to be changed as someone already said. The ECU wont understand how much fuel to inject if it dont know how much air is being fed into the engine.

Lower the compression, so either head gasket spacer but we wont be looking for any HP figures too high. Or lower comp forged pistons and con rods ($550+) But bigger HP figures, like as much as the gear box can take which is around about 330whp driving nice or 280whp being thrashed and launched off the line.

tougher clutch to hold the power to the drive line.

BIGGER BRAKES...... we still have to stop.

bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump. the engine needs more fuel.

intercooler! dont even think about non intercooled turbo on an engine not designed for it. The risk of detonation is something you dont want to play with.

full exhaust 2.5inches or bigger from turbo back.

a turbo :rolleyes: something like a GT28R or a T3 60, something around that size even the stock WRX turbo.

boost gauge, you dont want to overboost.

and thats about it i think. oh the ECU can handle everything as long as the tuner has the software to modify it, not many performance mobs have hyundai software. if they dont well its aftermarket ECU 1k+.

Thats about it i think. im still saving its gonna happen sooner or later.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
got quoted this morning on a full ,nothing more to do turbo conversion,performance wise 270kw [361.2hp]$10.500.I've now changed my mind about doing what i wanted. :'(  but wouldn't that sort of power be nice. :mrgreen: a lotto ticket might help me one day :lol:
i was quoted this by a.v.o. in moorabin[vic] . :razz:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
A friend of mine had i think an electric supercharger, he bought a V6 Commodore for his son and it was on it. the guy said it came from a toyota import, you had a switch on the dash. but the ECU was not programed for it so could only use for short time. car was a 5 speed manual. he showed me how it worked , we were just about to go up a big hill car was in fith gear, motor started to labour and would have had to shift back a gear but my friend turned on the electric supercharger and the motor pulled that hill in fith gear.
 with your plan to put a turbo on a petrol i30 i would not do it as it's a new car, i've seen people do it with older cars, the way i look at it is if you want a turbo petrol there are a lot of good cars out there that come new from the factory with turbo's and warranty just sell your car and buy one, it would be a lot less trouble .

StuartB

Hmmm, 270kw through front wheel drive would make for a very interesting drive.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal