bdennis · 125 · 95974

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
re the oil, yes i did want the intermediary change - i bought the oil myself for 1000ks and will do the same again. [ohh...goes and scribbles that in things TO DO:]

i guess my sticker was meant to say April or 7500, not April or 15000. lady said if i did this one i would have to do 15000 as well relatively soon being as its only another 5000k away, but i said that was ok. she seemed somewhat settled by this. maybe as they made a mistake on the sticker hmmmm [also writes on TO DO...take photo of sticker before putting into service]

for the record they never filled out my 1000k in my record book either  :-[
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
snowcherry make sure you tell the service guys to update your service book for the 1000km service and bring their misstake with the service sticker to their attention. make sure you don't get made to think its your stuff up.if they do just let them know that you will take the matter up with Hyundai Australia's head office.  :mad: :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
snowcherry make sure you tell the service guys to update your service book for the 1000km service and bring their misstake with the service sticker to their attention. make sure you don't get made to think its your stuff up.if they do just let them know that you will take the matter up with Hyundai Australia's head office.  :mad: :idea:

Or worse still - with us  :mad:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
weve got some stick.  :mad:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
thanks guys - will do that  :). guess i got a dodgy guy last time as far as actual record keeping goes

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
any work done on our cars in the dealers will be in their computer.  :razz:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
^they said today they'd look through the records and update my book for me

i've left car overnight - twas taking awhile and it was easier to go home and get lift back tomorrow
so not sure yet what the damage is, but quote was under $200, plus i bought my own oil.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

so my 7500ks was $108.87
plus my own oil
they didn't change any filters, just charged labour and sundry.

it used less oil than the 1000k oil change

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

so my 7500ks was $108.87
plus my own oil
they didn't change any filters, just charged labour and sundry.

it used less oil than the 1000k oil change

Hi SC

Would have liked to see them change the filter as well for the sake of about A$20 .. unless they changed the filter at th 1000 service can't understand why they used less oil this time???

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
^the filter was changed at the 1000k service
they must have decided it didn't need replacing again?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

^the filter was changed at the 1000k service
they must have decided it didn't need replacing again?

That explains usinging less oil this time .. There would have been a perhaps 200 mls of oil retained in the filter housing...

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Well, sorry to upset anybody on this thread but I think the servicing on the Hyundai i30 is extortionate       

I've only had my car for a month now but straight away I'm dreading getting it serviced. Not so much the 1st service as I have been told it is only approx £120 GBP which IS acceptable. 

However, the 2nd service apparently is going to come in at over £200GBP and quite frankly, I find that unacceptable  . It is after all, just a typical 1.6 petrol engine. When this is broken down, it turns out that the labour is over £76GBP per hour. Further to this, it has to be done every 12,500 miles.

Now, not to compare cars like for like, my last car was a Vauxhall/Opel 2.0 diesel (Which you would expect to be dearer) but never once did I ever pay £200GBP for any service in the past 8 years. Also, the service intervals on it were 20,000 miles per annum.

I appreciate there are some people on this forum that have come from the likes of Subarus where they would have been paying higher prices, so naturally they will be delighted with the cost of the i30's servicing. But look at the bigger picture and you must agree it is way too dear for Hyundai main dealer servicing in the UK   

Hyundai cars may be cheap(er) to buy but I would argue with anyone that they are cheaper to maintain and service. This may be reason enough for me to get rid of it after 2 years, despite my delight with it so far.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Trev - no need to keep posting your grievance all over the boards :eek:

Hyundai have to recoup the 5 year warranty cost somehow... and £80/hour labour is far less than I pay for our Rav4 at Mr T's workshop
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hey Trev, I have already told you that my second service was only in the £100-£200 region, I will check properly when I get home, I really don't see what you are getting so hot under the collar about.

IF and indeed this is a big IF, you find that Hyundai service costs are not to your liking you don't have to use dealer servicing, your warranty is unaffected using any VAT registered garage, as long as you stipulate to them that they must use original Hyundai parts, however I would suggest that even the independent garages in Aberdeen are charging between £60 and £80 per hour so your dealer potentially charging £76 is not that bad.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Lucky you don't live in Adelaide, was quoted $290 for 7500km service after oil and filter it seems they charge about $120-40 labour per hour, I may as well just bend over the counter and let them get on with it.
No idea what the 15000 km service will be, seems to be a lot more expensive here than in the eastern states ie Melbourne. Sydney etc.

mick55
After I took my car in for it's 1000km check, the service sticker on the car said 7,500km, the next day I rang the service department and said that the service interval is 15,000km and so long as you get it serviced at 15,000 or once a year the warranty is OK.  With lots of umming and arrhing I could not get a reason for the shorter interval.  I also pointed out to them that the 15,000km service intervals was one of the major aspects in me purchasing an i30cw CRDI. I suspect this 7,500 stuff is pure exploitation :evil: I was already pissed off with the dealer, over lack of spare keys when I purchased the car in July this year, with no reasonable explanation for not receiving the spare or when the replacement might arrive.  Not a good start, then I have always considered car dealers on a par with child molestors, lawyers and real estate agents :lol: I intend to take my car to an MTA approved mechanic for its 15,000km service and only to the dealer for any warranty work if required.  By the way my car is not used in the fashion that requires the intermediate service.  I live in Adelaide as well.

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hey Trev, I have already told you that my second service was only in the £100-£200 region, I will check properly when I get home, I really don't see what you are getting so hot under the collar about.

Sorry all for the rant - That's it over for this week. I've bitten my tongue and promise not to bring the subject up again [ Or not at least until the 2nd service is due]  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my fathers 2009 100 series land cruiser service just cost him $1,200,I'm very happy with a major service costing me $300 odd.  :mrgreen:   $1,200.  :eek: :rolleyes:

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
my fathers 2009 100 series land cruiser service just cost him $1,200,I'm very happy with a major service costing me $300 odd.  :mrgreen:   $1,200.  :eek: :rolleyes:
Youch

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
he owns the auto diesel model,money pit.  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lucky you don't live in Adelaide, was quoted $290 for 7500km service after oil and filter it seems they charge about $120-40 labour per hour, I may as well just bend over the counter and let them get on with it.
No idea what the 15000 km service will be, seems to be a lot more expensive here than in the eastern states ie Melbourne. Sydney etc.

Use an independent M8 and supply your own oil and parts... :cool:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
While we all like a bargain & dislike being ripped off, I dont get the concern over servicing costs.

If some manufacturers want to please the Auto rental / leasing companies by stating massive long service intervals let them get on with it, clearly not a good plan for a long lived car... but then who pays for reapirs once a Warranty expires?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
excellent point ffoxy, and after 5 years  :eek:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

excellent point ffoxy, and after 5 years  :eek:

Or 7 with a Kia... or the first buyers ownership with Vauxhalls... all the same thing, once Warranty is up its the owner that pays for any repairs isnt it. So fleet buyers love the long service interval cars... & buy them for the low running costs, these hit the streets when the fleet buyers are done with them & the public buys them with the "excessive service length" timebomb ticking away underneath.

Personally I'd rather take a 12,000 mile service & feel more at ease...

Jeez I remember the days when a service was done (well a short one) before any trip over 100 miles! Oil & filter replaced, grease all the grease nipples & away....

If it costs £300 a year for annual servicing  thats £6.25 a week... cut out a couple of weekly beers & you're sorted! :-)

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
If it costs £300 a year for annual servicing  thats £6.25 a week... cut out a couple of weekly beers & you're sorted! :-)

Ffoxy. Perhaps you're missing the point - or maybe I am.  What can possibly be done in an annual service to justify the £300?

If some manufacturers want to please the Auto rental / leasing companies by stating massive long service intervals let them get on with it, clearly not a good plan for a long lived car... but then who pays for reapirs once a Warranty expires?

My previous car was a diesel Vauxhall and their service intervals were once a year or 20,000 miles. As I only do between 10 -12k it suited me fine and I sold it on last month after 85k with very little problems - certainly none as far as the engine was concerned.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Ffoxy. Perhaps you're missing the point - or maybe I am.  What can possibly be done in an annual service to justify the £300?

My previous car was a diesel Vauxhall and their service intervals were once a year or 20,000 miles. As I only do between 10 -12k it suited me fine and I sold it on last month after 85k with very little problems - certainly none as far as the engine was concerned.

I just dont begrudge Dealerships making money Trev, it's expensive yes.
My former Fiat dealer wanted £440 for my 2nd service for my Grande Punto diesel back in 2004, essentially an oil & filter change & "checks", that for me DID take the biscuit so I went to my local VAT registered Independent ever after. Voted with my feet as we all can.
I got advice from left, right & centre about secret fixes for known issues being done after advice from Fiat HQ, never saw any hard evidence... Or body computer / proxy alignments done "for free"... wasnt free as far as I was concerned, I was to be charged over the odds... and labour these days is expensive with high dealership overheads so £80 an hour is fine by me, as long as I get what I pay for, itemised on my bill invoice.
I can do without 2 pints a week fo sho! ;-)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

OK lets set the record straight......

My second service on the 1.6 petrol cost me £171, I get a 15% discount from my dealer with a card which is given to the customer at purchase, but even adding that on leaves a sub £200 bill, way short of your supposed £300, reducing the weekly cost to £3.85 so not even a fish supper per week for 5 years complete piece of mind, remember the warranty on a Hyundai even extends to the exhaust system.

On your mileage your own argument is falling over, you will still only need one service per annum as you did with the Zafira, in fact I would go as far as to say you are getting better value for money with the Hyundai given that you were previously 8000 miles "short" of needing a service with the Zafira,  but had to get one anyway, so the parts they were replacing were only 60% through their usable life..................

One has to ask, why did you not go for the Astra, given your "cheaper" servicing costs from Vauxhall and your fine experience of the brand to date??

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Costs for my 1.6 diesel

year 1  £140.00 (Oil and oil filter change)
year 2  £220.00 (Oil, oil filter, air filter, Air Con, aka Pollen, filters and brake fluid change)
year 3  £170.00 (Oil, oil filter, fuel filter change)

Plus at each service the garage do a full check of all working/non working parts

When each service is due I ring around a few "good reputation" non HY garages and find I'd only save £10-£15.

I'd rather pay the extra so if I have a warranty claim HY UK can't then say the wrong parts/oil have been used and wriggle out of any claim.

When I had another Hy car the garage did a few things  for me and they didn't charge me for the odd half-hour they spent on it so I feel they are looking after me as a valued customer.

Now I find what I'm being charged is reasonable.

ps I'm provide with a loan car for the day.  I only pay for the fuel I use.
Fully Comp Insurance is covered under my own policy.
So that would be worth £15 - £20.00!!!!! I would have saved at another garage and would have to pay for loan car!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Agreed eye30 :cool: :cool:

2nd service replaced parts

Engine Oil
Oil filter
Spark Plugs
Brake fluid
Pollen filter

Inspected
Drive belts
Power steering fluid
Coolant concentration
Clutch fluid
Washer fluid
Battery
Gearbox oil
Driveshafts & Boots
Brakepipes, hoses and connections
Exhaust system
Front and rear tracking
Suspension & Steering inc. ball joints
Fuel system, tank, lines, vapour hose and filler cap
Fluid leaks
Wheel bearings
Wheels removed and spigots lubed
Wheel rotation if required
ABS assemblies
Front & Rear brake pads, discs and calipers
Tyre condition & pressure (inc. spare)
Tyre depths (inc. spare)
Locks & hinges lubed
Wiper blades and operation
Air con efficiency
Seat & seatbelt operation
Warning lamp operation
Airbag / SRS
Light operation
Electrical systems
Check all systems with Hi-Scan
Emissions check
Check & adjust parking brake
Road test.

All in all a pretty comprehensive use of £200 for a years piece of mind :D

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
 What can possibly be done in an annual service to justify the £300?
color]
That was people talking about 300 Australian dollars, not pounds :exclaim:

I was a previously vauxhall owner for 10 years, my experience of costs and quality of the services provided by the dealers is not rosy. I spare you the details now only becuase I'm now relieved to own a Hyundai and have not suffered the multiple first year breakdowns I had on my vectra. And we won't talk about timing chain replacement costs.

I think you just need to enjoy your i30 and not worry about service costs at the moment. Check the site a month or so before your service is due and check/ask what people have paid where recently and then make your decision on using your local dealer or an independant at that time.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal