i30 Owners Club

Oil Change Frequency Discussion

Offline Yoshiofthewire

• 1st Gear
So I am reading the maintenance guide and I'm like WTF?  Why are there two suggested oil change frequencies!?
Since I'm in the U.S. we have Miles in our book.  I will look at my book and see if it says km and add once I know.
(Wolfram Alpha's response didn't much help)

So I'm approaching 3750 miles and I need to decide if I am changing the oil then or waiting for 7500.
If I ask the dealership they are going to say 3750. 

I drive mostly highway speeds, mixed with some stop and go traffic.

If I missed this discussion, I apologize, I did use the Search, but only found a talk about doing the first oil change early.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yoshi,

We use Kilometres here in Australia where the majority of our members are based. The book says 15,000 Km between services or 7500km under harsh conditions..

That's 9300 Miles (or about 4,650 under harsh conditions...)

I go 15,000km as that equates to about 6 months for me but our membership is split about 50/50 on this issue..

IF I find other threads(which there are) I'll edit this and post a link...  

Edit: Here's one..https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1782.0.html 

and another: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3122.0.html

Seems to be mostly regarding the diesel which you guys don't get though..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yoshi,

You got diesel or petrol? (I guess petrol)

My diesel oil change frequency here in the UK is 12,500 miles (1st change was at 12,500 miles)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Yoshiofthewire

• 1st Gear
Yea, I got the petrol (gas)
They don't offer the diesel one in the states, that I know of.

I think the only diesel car you can get in the states is some kind of VW, I think a Rabbit or a Golf.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
You must be a young guy Yoshi?
what state are you in?
best thing is just read label delear puts on your windscreen and take it back on the date or the miles it says. no worries. i think in this forum we would put perfume on pig's.
lol

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... i think in this forum we would put perfume on pig's.

Is that an Oz thing...  :eek: :P

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I change oil and the filter every 5,000km. Which I'm guessing is somewhere around 2800-3000 miles. I use a 5W-30 full synthetic oil (Castrol Edge). Costly, but the best way to keep the motor in great condition.

Offline i30mania

• 3rd Gear

• tr Turkey
      Istanbul,Turkey

• Proud Owner Since 2007
Our period is 20.000km (first change 20.000km also)

they use Shell Rimula FX 10w30

what do you think?
  • Opel Insignia 1.6Turbo

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I do mine (petrol) every 7500km, which only takes a few weeks between services. I also use Mobil 1, which some would consider overkill.

The frequency with which you change the oil should be based on how long you plan to keep the car, more than anything.

I know in Europe they have all sorts of scrappage schemes and things designed to make sure that cars are only on the road for a few years. This, along with the demands of fleet operators and (IMHO misguided) environmentalists, means that service intervals have been pushed way beyond what is good for the car, to the threshold of what the car will tolerate for the few years it's expected to be on the road.

In short, if you plan to trade or scrap the car in 5 years, stick to what's in the book but don't, for heaven's sake, go further than recommended between services. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, use a top quality oil and do it at least every 10000km/6000 miles.

If you drive the car 20000km/12000miles (or more) between services, you really are making the car suffer. It will probably last you 5 years and not actually die, but it'll be close to knackered by the end of it. I've pulled down engines that have done less than 100000km with oil changes every 15-20000km and they have been sludged and worn. I had a Getz come in that never saw a workshop from the day it was sold until 66000km, and it still ran, but it was very rattly and unhappy and he lost his engine warranty. As far as I know the bloke is still driving that car, but it would not be a good vehicle to own.

Some people subscribe to the concept that doing more than what the book says is a waste of money, and they're entitled to their opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I will always want my car to be running as well as possible and am prepared to be a big shot and buy some oil and a filter every now and then to keep it that way. If you plan to own the car out of warranty it's cheap insurance. If you think about what is going on inside a car engine and how far 20000km is and how long it has to work for it's easy to see what I mean when I say the service intervals are too long and driven by issues other than the ultimate longevity of the vehicle.

They still need the oil changed frequently when doing highway work too, a littler engine like in an i30 is still revving pretty hard at highway speeds and they have to push through the air pretty hard.

Like a lot of things, it's horses for courses and comes down to whether you want that extra peace of mind, and whether you plan to keep the car long term.  :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I now have a tear in my eye  :'(

Feel so guilty sticking to the schedule and running 12,500 miles between services. Poor Fergie  :'(

Offline Yoshiofthewire

• 1st Gear
7500 miles = 12070 km
3750 miles = 6035 km
So says Wolfram Alpha

I'm Youngish ... Not quite 30

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

I now have a tear in my eye  :'(

Feel so guilty sticking to the schedule and running 12,500 miles between services. Poor Fergie  :'(

lol I'm sure Fergie will survive. She is a Hyundai after all.  :D

Pip
I wouldn't do more than 10km oil change interval (OCI).  15km is probably ok if conditions are ideal and the oil is top-shelf, something I doubt will always be true - particularly if the dealer selects the oil.  20km might just be ok but it's got to be a gamble when you aren't in a position to know whether it is still working towards the end of the OCI.  As I said elsewhere, you could always get samples done but I suspect these don't reveal all either and for the cost of the analysis you might just as well buy some new oil!

Here's a question: Why does the UK have 20km service intervals and Oz have 15km?  Is it because Oz driving conditions are worse than UK?  I'd put my money on it being the other way around.  Just compare average speeds, mine is around 48 KM/H or 30 MPH made up of a mix of suburban and country driving... what's yours?  I'm assuming that a low average is due to a lot of idling and/or slow traffic with more short trips, none of which are ideal for the oil.

Shambles (and the others on 20km/12,500 mile OCI), I reckon you ought shout an intermediate oil change.  :wink:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Here's a question: Why does the UK have 20km service intervals and Oz have 15km?  Is it because Oz driving conditions are worse than UK?  I'd put my money on it being the other way around.  Just compare average speeds, mine is around 48 KM/H or 30 MPH made up of a mix of suburban and country driving... what's yours?  I'm assuming that a low average is due to a lot of idling and/or slow traffic with more short trips, none of which are ideal for the oil.

We discussed this at a few Service Manager's meetings I went to, and it appears that the difference is more a political and environmental issue than something based in common sense or the vehicle's needs. I understand that there is a movement in the UK (not sure whether it's actually succeeded) to mandate that new vehicles can't even have a sump plug any more (oil changes done with a suction pump) and for service intervals to be extended still further. Interestingly, the new MINI (for instance) has an oil change interval of 25000km even in Australia. I looked at the oil in one with 23000km and it was black as the ace of spades. I would NOT bank on a car that has been subjected to that making it to 300000km.

As I noted above too, the environmentalists (strangely not noticing the fact that most of the pollution caused by any given car is caused during it's manufacture) are also putting in place systems and procedures whereby cars are turned over and replaced very quickly. Therefore the focus for servicing switches from vehicle longevity to making the vehicle last for the warranty period, after which (using their plans) the vehicle has had it and is scrapped.

Pip

MRH130
As I noted above too, the environmentalists (strangely not noticing the fact that most of the pollution caused by any given car is caused during it's manufacture) are also putting in place systems and procedures whereby cars are turned over and replaced very quickly. Therefore the focus for servicing switches from vehicle longevity to making the vehicle last for the warranty period, after which (using their plans) the vehicle has had it and is scrapped.

What a strange policy. Sad isn't it?

The last two cars in the family were properly serviced (by me after warranty ran out) and lasted well past the 200,000km mark, before being "retired" after accidents, with engines that still purred like new.  I always keep my cars for 15+ years.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I now have a tear in my eye

Not in my eye  :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
Well, I changed my oil last week after only 2400 miles after it's second service. Why? Well I'm convinced that the dealer didn't change it during the service at all. My suspicions were aroused when after the service the oil level was still at the 3/4 mark land it was still jet black, like it was when I gave it to them. I had been suffering a severe downturn in my diesel's mpg (low to mid 40s) ever since the first service at the same dealership. So after moaning about it to my brother he suggested that I change it myself and see what happens. I bought a suction pump system and 8 litres of Mobil 1. All this was very expensive I admit but I thought to hell with it. So I gave it a diesel engine flush solution, sucked out all the oil (jet black and quite runny but that could have bee the engine flush) and put in my expensive fully synthetic oil (pleaae bear in mind that I work in IT and I don't dabble in car mechanics). The result? My mpg has risen and is back to 53 mpg, like it was when I first got the car. The engine doesn't sound rattle so bad from a cold start like it did before. The engine revs more smoothly under acceleration as with the distinctive diesel rattle disappearing at around 1500rpm. I'm currently on 27,000 miles and will be taking the car to an independent garage for future servicing (I'll supply with the genuine parts if I must). And having just read the above, I'll be changing my oil every 6000 miles as I do 2000+ miles per month. I intend to keep this car to at least 100,000 miles.

Oh, I do like this car.....I own a petrol one as well. I also own a Mini Cooper S and agree completely about the oil change intervals for this car...they are simply too far apart.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good on ya Dave...Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Nice stable of cars you got there... :D

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

What a strange policy. Sad isn't it?

The last two cars in the family were properly serviced (by me after warranty ran out) and lasted well past the 200,000km mark, before being "retired" after accidents, with engines that still purred like new.  I always keep my cars for 15+ years.

It is a strange policy, driven largely by well-meaning environmentalists and the car manufacturers who love the idea of selling you a new car every couple of years.

I've always kept my cars a long time too, my fleet includes a 1959 VW Beetle and a 1973 Volvo 164 with 757000km on the clock, plus many other old classics with a lot of mileage. However, I think the way things are going with these scrappage schemes that sort of thing will become a bit of a rarity. Which is a shame IMHO.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Good thinking Dave, if you have those suspicions, maybe you received a "sticker service".

Of course, diesels will soot up the oil fairly quickly, especially if it was black before the service, but if the level didn't move and it was just as black as before it sounds like you got stooged there.

It's amazing the difference top quality oil can make too.  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry for the off topic but my late stepdad had a Volvo dealership when I was younger and the 164 was a very nice car in its day (I reckon the front still looks good now) :D

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
My suspicions were actually raised after I got home immediately after the second service and seen the black oil....as my home was only 5 miles from the dealership. My younger brother, being more car savvy than I, just said 'what the f..., if it's new oil it should be golden brown.....not f....... black....oh well, at least the air filter is new'. I just kinda cringed with embarrassment as the service had cost me nearly £250 ....for a stamp in the book. Of course, as I have driven for over 2000 miles since the service, and not having forensic equipment to prove it was old unchanged oil, I'll just have to live with the experience.

It amazes me that dealerships would risk this sort of practice.... Or perhaps I should not be, as they would normally be my first port of call in the event of a warranty claim!!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
FBD, does the sales invoice show X litres of Y oil?

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
Oh yes, the invoice does say that the oil was changed...and even said that I was given 1 litre bottle of oil in the car as well. I challenged the service manager at the time of pickup for the bottle of oil as it was not in the car. He duely gave it to me and said that this was something the dealership did and not Hyundai. Which, of course, was rubbish as my ex- got her i30 serviced (her first) at another dealership in England and even got her bottle of oil in zipped case in the boot (and the car washed).

Anyway, as the original oil was dumped at my local recycling facilty I have absolutely no way of proving that the oil was not changed. I shall not take my car(s) back to this particular dealership for any future work.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... I shall not take my car(s) back to this particular dealership for any future work.

That's the best way - vote with your feet

Pip
Oh yes, the invoice does say that the oil was changed...and even said that I was given 1 litre bottle of oil in the car as well. I challenged the service manager at the time of pickup for the bottle of oil as it was not in the car. He duely gave it to me and said that this was something the dealership did and not Hyundai. Which, of course, was rubbish as my ex- got her i30 serviced (her first) at another dealership in England and even got her bottle of oil in zipped case in the boot (and the car washed).

Anyway, as the original oil was dumped at my local recycling facilty I have absolutely no way of proving that the oil was not changed. I shall not take my car(s) back to this particular dealership for any future work.

I would also wonder whether they changed the oil filter??  If it somehow missed the oil change it probably missed that too.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Sorry for the off topic but my late stepdad had a Volvo dealership when I was younger and the 164 was a very nice car in its day (I reckon the front still looks good now) :D

haha I'll indulge in some off topic with you! - my 164 was only my second car and it's a lovely bit of gear. I'm a bit of a closet Volvophile too (only old ones tho, the new ones can go jump) and most of my collection is made up of Volvos. Don't get me started.  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I shall not take my car(s) back to this particular dealership for any future work.

I can't remember do you have diesel or petrol?
If Diesel what specification of oil did they quote on the invoice as they should use C3 in UK?

and

Which area should I avoid?

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
I have two, a 1.4l petrol and a 2.0l  diesel. On the last service invoice they don't quote either the type of oil or the amount in litres. This was the same with the first service invoice as well. And it was after the first service that the mpg started dropping, so I was actually hoping that the second service was actually going to sort this out. Unfortunatley it didn't and I had to take the action of changing the oil myself. And having just driven 229 miles from Glasgow to south Manchester and got 52 mpg with an average speed (according to the trip computer) of 69 mph, I think I definitely done the right thing.

If you are down in the Wirral I don't think you need to worry, but if you are ever up in Scotland just stay away from a large dealership chain in Linwood/Paisley.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

It would appear that they may have used the wrong oil and this contributed to the low MPG.

Re dealer.
 I have a cousin who lives near Paisley so if I'm ever at his and I need a service etc I'll look futher a field.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal