Micro SD Cards for Dash Cams

AlanHo · 2 · 1112

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I reently took delivery of two Samsung 128 GB Pro Endurance cards (Purchased directly from Samsung UK to avoid fakes). They are to replace some 64 GB Integral cards in my front and rear A119V3 dashcams.

Both of the new Samsung cards were formatted in the camera before use. One of the new Samsung cards did not allow the dash cam to write a video file in either camera. The recording mode dropped out and it tried to start a new file repetitively. The other card was fine. I tried deep formatting the grumpy card using SD Formatter app but it had no effect.

I could save jpg and mp4 files on the dicky card from my PC – but streaming video onto the card using the dash cam was a no no.

Out of curiosity I installed the Crystal Speed check app on my windows PC and ran the tests on both cards. This is the result and explains why one of the cards was misbehaving.  I returned it to Samsung and they have replaced it with a card that works fine.

Over the years I have had a number of problems with SD cards of various brands (including Sandisc) which were claimed to be suitable for dash cams but none had a long life. These Samsung cards, according to the general consensus of guys on the VIOFO forum, are the bees Knees and are supposed to last 5 years.  They should - they are not exactly cheap.

I think the latest VIOFO A119V3 puts much greater demand on cards than previous models due to its upgraded 60 fps HD mode which some cards struggle with

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 06:54:29 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unfortunate to get a dud card from Samsung Alan, great they replaced it though :goodjob:

I use the Samsung pro Endurance in my dashcam as well :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal