i30 Owners Club

GD-01 USB Playback Problem

Offline 88mick88

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
My GD-01 headunit over the last couple of days has started some unusual behaviour.

I generally have music playing off my USB stick full time and the last few days each time i restart the car, the headunit is booting into FM stereo mode rather than resuming playback on the USB. I can manually select the USB fine, and playback resumes from where it left off but this has never occured before.

Does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of files that can be put on the USB stick for the headunit to remain 'happy'?

Also, i know it's been asked before but is there a factory or 'hard' reset for this head unit?

I recently added 5 new tracks, but i'm sure it was okay since doing so until a few days ago. I'm going to try deleting some files and see if it makes a difference.

Anybody have download links to updated firmware for this headunit English-Austrlalia ?

Thanking all in advance
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Wagon, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes there is a file limit on the GD-01, 8 or 9 hundred if I remember correctly, also a USB size limit.

Hyundai will check for firmware updates and apply them for free when servicing though there hasn’t been any software updates for that unit in 6 years.

Start thinking of which system you’ll replace it with, the 01 units are notoriously poor quality systems :disapp:

Offline 88mick88

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
CraigB

I've had approx 1200 tracks on the stick i've been using and never had any problems.  It's a 16GB stick too, formatted FAT32.

I deleted about 20 tracks, and it worked for one startup but then started doing the same thing again.  I'm currently formatting the stick and going to start again with it, and i'm also going to prepare another stick ready to swap if it still occurs to see if the problem might be with the stick itself.  The 16GB stick i'm currently using is only about 6 months old though and is reputable brand.

Yep - i've read all the drama's with this head unit but happy to put up with it a bit longer as i'm not sure how much longer i plan on keeping the vehicle for anyway - as much as i love it and it's efficiency...

Offline 88mick88

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
The problem was the USB stick

Got the old one out, formatted it copied the exact tracks onto it and it works a treat - and as expected.

There are approx 1220 tracks on it, in 27 folders.  The USB that was playing up was not very old, reputable brand USB3.0 16GB drive.  I guess no more use in the car for it.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the update, glad you solved it :goodjob:

I was trying to find the GD-01 radio booklet that came with mine when I bought the car as I can remember there were specifics mentioned within the booklet regarding song/file limits and USB requirements, looks like I've thrown it out when I updated to the GD-03 :whistler: :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The problem was the USB stick

Got the old one out, formatted it copied the exact tracks onto it and it works a treat - and as expected.

There are approx 1220 tracks on it, in 27 folders.  The USB that was playing up was not very old, reputable brand USB3.0 16GB drive.  I guess no more use in the car for it.

:happydance: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
reputable brand USB3.0 16GB drive

Maybe it didn't like the USB 3.0?
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal