i30 Owners Club

A lap of the great ocean road

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Joan and I have just returned from Victoria where we spent a week touring the great ocean road and Melbourne. We flew down and hired a car. Happily the i30 was offered by the car hire company but by the time we got there it had turned into a Mitsubishi ASX. This turned out to be an OK touring companion despite the preference for the i30.

We headed out to Cape Bridgewater via Ballarat and Warrnambool,  and then returned to Melbourne. This was to avoid the weekend traffic out of Melbourne around Lorne and Geelong on the run back to Melbourne and this proved to be the case as we had a quick and uneventful cruise back. Of course the roads are magnificent in Victoria anyway, there's lees chance of congestion compared to Queensland roads which tend to be goat tracks by comparison.

Accommodation was, on the whole, not too bad although the prices were highly variable for no apparent reason. Port Wenn Campbell for example was ridiculously expensive for something last renovated in the 80's, but being the heartland of the GOR monuments, one should expect to be gouged I suppose.

Melbourne Tullamarine Airport to Melbourne VIC, Australia - Google Maps

Melbourne to Ballarat

Ballarat is about 90 minutes south west of Melbourne famous as part of the goldfields in the 1850's and more famous as the scene of the eureka rebellion in 1854. We had lunch at the Museum of democracy adjacent the location of the eureka stockade. This turned out to be an unremarkable location with a few plaques here and there. An interpretive sculpture was placed conveniently near a car park in the distance.

The remains of the flag which has become an iconic symbol have been conserved and are on display in the museum. I say remains since it was the tradition of the day for those involved to take a souvenir and so there's not much left. It was in fact fairly large, much larger than I anticipated.

Being a goldmining town Ballarat features many fine buildings, many of which still exist including a pretty serious Victorian era railway station. Much is made of the heritage aspects of the town and I would like to go back another time and photograph it properly.

Ballarat to Cape Bridgewater

This was an uneventful drive southwest through Warnambool, Port Fairy and Portland. On this day the weather was magnificent but there were no delays for taking photos other than a pause at Warrnambool for lunch. Surf clubs are typically good places for lunch and there we dined at the window taking in a grand view, the first glimpse of the famous coastline.

On the drive through its easy to see the reason for the bushfire danger than exists in Victoria right now. Its incredibly dry there now after the recent heatwave.

Another interesting feature of the region are the extensive drywalls which line the road for kilometres around Mt Elephant.

Dry Stone Walls ยป Kanawinka

Cape Bridgewater turns out to be a remote place with a few guesthouses and holiday accommodation, a surf club and a cafe that sporadically opens. Dinner is in Portland about 14km back. We explore the cape famous for its geology, views and the less well documents phenomena of flies. Thousands of them, large and small. This detracts from the experience a little and is a feature found at other places along the great ocean road as well. For some reason we cannot buy insect repellant.

Cape Nelson from Cape Bridgewater shot from our accommodation.

The car park at Cape Bridgewater - before the extent of the fly issue became apparent. The geology of the region is fascinating, it would have been nice to be able to take the time to fully appreciate it.

Cape Bridgewater to Port Wenn Campbell

Port Campbell is the epicenter of the iconic great ocean road monuments. I called it Port Wenn after our encounter with the accommodation there. There was no belligerent doctor or gaggle of giggling girls, but there were a lot of tourists. Its a small place built alongside the port with is really an inlet into the great cliffs along the coast there. Its reminiscent of a fjord on a mini scale and a really lovely place.

I have one camera with a serious metering issue that's badly overexposing images. Unfortunately its affecting all the images taken with the long lens and I don't discover the problem until the following day when the reflex mirror parts company with the camera. Its going to take some time to recover the images taken with that camera so until that's sorted you will have to make do with the ones taken with the other camera.

The following day I've returned to the 12 apostles at the crack of dawn for the sunrise shoot. No flies but the place is crawling with photographers. I've jumped right in and being olde skool I use filters for controlling the light rather than HDR, the stacking of images of a number of images of different exposures in software. In photographing  the sunrise itself the filters started fogging up, something I have never encountered before.

Predawn facing west. The deep blue is a feature of predawn light but those relying on software will never capture a shot like this.

Sunrise

Once the sun came up I immediately turned around and started shooting to the west. A few minutes later I had people shooting between the legs of the tripod once they realised what was going on behind them with the sun starting to touch the peaks of the cliffs.

I've shot many sunrises, mostly in solitude and in spectacular locations. This one was not as enjoyable as most I would have to say owing to the rabble horde that had descended on this location. It was well worth doing however. Tick.

I'll pause there for now but invite you to visit my gallery here: http://gallery.heinrich.id.au/great-ocean-road#gallery/2870/1503/0

This will be changing over the next week or so as I add new pictures and tag them. Enjoy.

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Fantastic photos and commentary, Keith.  I very much enjoyed that.  Tell me, did you try the Vegemite flavoured ice cream at Apollo Bay?  It tastes as good as it sounds.  BTW, Vegemite and ice cream shouldn't be in the same paragraph, let alone mixed together. 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just read a bit.  Will read rest tomorrow as just off to get beauty sleep, not that i actually need it!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Very beautiful views and wonderful photos, love these pics.  :goodjob2:

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Ballarat is certainly west of Melbourne, but slightly to the north.  I was born and grew up there and still get up there a fair bit; I might be going up there tomorrow.  I haven't been to the new EUREKA stockade centre.  I am not sure if the exact site of the original stockade has been determined.  That area is not really that far from where I lived. 

Ballarat is a nice place.  It gets a bit cold in winter; house prices are quite a bit lower than Melbourne and yet Ballarat is not really that far from Melbourne with today's roads.

Keith - if you do get up there again, perhaps I could show you around a bit.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The Eureka flag used to be housed in the art gallery in Lydiard St but the new Eureka centre somehow got hold of it; I think it's on loan from the art gallery, but will it ever get back there? 

Only a few months ago someone with a genuine family connection to Eureka came forward with a very small piece of the original flag.  It underwent all sorts of tests and was verified.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very beautiful views and wonderful photos, love these pics.  :goodjob2:
:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
@Eureka, thanks for the kind observations. I asked about the actual site of the stockade and no one knew exactly. Pointing out the window of the MADE into the park, "Out there somewhere" was the normal response. Its a shame as it really needs preservation as a site of national significance. Right now its not terribly inspiring, sort of a nondescript park with a few monuments in the corner and a kids playground. 

As for the flag, the preservation was done in South Australia and is on permanent display at the MADE. There is a lot of information about it, the restoration, and quite a few fragments on display as well.

I would like a couple of weeks to capture the town properly. There are a lot of interesting buildings and historical sites and the light is fantastic in the evenings and early morning. If the opportunity ever presents itself I'll be in touch.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Fantastic photos and commentary, Keith.  I very much enjoyed that.  Tell me, did you try the Vegemite flavoured ice cream at Apollo Bay?  It tastes as good as it sounds.  BTW, Vegemite and ice cream shouldn't be in the same paragraph, let alone mixed together.

Apollo Bay was a drive through. By this time I would have needed to see something very special indeed to make me want to stop. Thanks for the kind words, I am glad you enjoyed the pics.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal