Dazz and Trish do Western Victoria.. (with lots of pictures) Now with Video

Dazzler · 34 · 18040

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Earlier this week we returned from a 14 day driving trip around the western half of the Australian state of Victoria.

We would have liked to take either my Calais or Trish's i30 Tourer, but the cost of "ferrying" us and a car to and from Tasmania was roughly the same as flying and renting a Toyota Camry Hybrid for the 14 days (about $1100 all up)

The basic trip as planned was about 1500 kilometres (see map below), but with detours and excursions we ended up doing 2682 kilometres on $198 worth of fuel (approx 160 litres) at 5.965 litres per/100 kilometres which is pretty good for a big quiet reasonably comfy car.

We stayed the first and last night with Member Gonz and his lovely wife Elena.

I took hundreds of photos and videos (with my phone) and will eventually make a couple of slide show videos to share on Youtube. Here are just a few to give you some idea what a wonderful area and the variety of things we did on what turned out to be a great holiday.

We did lots of detours to places like Echuca  and Shepparton..

This is the Blue lake at Mount Gambier (it is much bluer apparently at certain times of the year)
We liked Mount Gambier and intend staying longer next time in the area.

Lady Nelson at the Mount Gambier Discovery Centre..

Cruise on the Glenelg River (we got on so well with the captain of the "ferry" that we were invited to sit in the cabin and chat while he took us up the river to Princess Margaret Rose cave viewing.

(click to show/hide)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks Dazz. Nice pics.
I love how Gonz is just a member but his wife, Elena, is lovely.   :D
Just stirring, @Dazzler  :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz. Nice pics.
I love how Gonz is just a member but his wife, Elena, is lovely.   :D
Just stirring, @Dazzler  :mrgreen:

Well I do find Elena more attractive than Gonz....  :whistler:

But as you know Gonz is a very likeable guy.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Enjoyed the pics.

Roll on the rest
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Guys, glad you liked them. Was hard to choose just a few and they don't really show just how much we saw and did. Was a great combo of relaxing and experiencing new things..  :goodjob:

Considering how Trish was stressing about her sick Mum (who is still battling on) Trish had a really good time (she deserved it!)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :agreed: :topmegacool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Dazz. Have been to most of those places so I really enjoyed the photos.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thank's Dazz, I have always been meaning to see more of Victoria, have seen most of the north eastern & most of eastern side of state as well as Melbourne, i went to Ballarat stayed there to see southern lights i loved that!! also went to Heathcoate once. so will have to get down see some of those places. did it rain while you where down there? or was it hot? ( i like mild not too hot weather) thanks for the pic's what economy do you think your Calais would have averaged? & what fuel did you run the Hybrid on?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank's Dazz, I have always been meaning to see more of Victoria, have seen most of the north eastern & most of eastern side of state as well as Melbourne, i went to Ballarat stayed there to see southern lights i loved that!! also went to Heathcoate once. so will have to get down see some of those places. did it rain while you where down there? or was it hot? ( i like mild not too hot weather) thanks for the pic's what economy do you think your Calais would have averaged? & what fuel did you run the Hybrid on?

We were pretty lucky with the weather. Was a bit cool (high teens when we first arrived) but warmed up to around 27c for the middle part of our trip. Was a good thing we checked out the Pioneer Village at Swan Hill though rather than wait for the larger one at Ballarat. We got around 50mm (2 inches) of rain on the day we were there so made it mainly a day of rest.

The Hybrid and Calais both use E10 or 91. Think I put in 1 x E10 and 2 x 91 on our trip. The Calais would have been closer to 9 L/100kms so would have cost me closer to $300 for the same trip I'm guessing.

Interestingly I now have mixed feelings about the Camry Hybrid. After owning the Calais for 30 months I found the Camry nice and light and easy to drive on a long trip, but the Calais feels heaps more solid and handles and rides so much better. Also prefer the feel and sound of the engine in the Calais. But, the Hybrid was Idea as a renter.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thanks for that Dazz, most people i know with the c
lattest Commodore all love them, B I L has had one like yours then i think for speculation ( investment ) he bought a new Red V8 Black, he said you can't buy the V8's now & when Ford stopped production dealers put the price of V8 floor stock up from 60k to 90k. I think he will keep his two years then sell with very low k on it. another friend had a v6 & just bought a Black v8 Black about same time as B I L she love's hers. i won't have another V8 , as the fuel gauge droops too fast for me!!  :rofl:
interesting you use the E10, 91 fuel. as i think NSW is doing away with 91, & 95 will be the lowest you can buy here soon, as most euro cars will not run on 91 & think to meet new enviro standards need 95 as cleaner burning. i will only run my MC's on 98 as air cooled high comp, if no 98 i'll use 95 . i have seen in my motor after always using 98 & it was really clean in chamber & valves. cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are talking about stopping 91 Australia wide!  :fum:

At the price of premium fuels down here that would add around $10 per tank to my fuel bills or more than $350 per year. I could afford it, but a lot couldn't. Unless they keep E10 going at current price levels. My recent cars have always liked the 95 octane E10 and it is usually 1c cheaper too..  :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The guys at the Hyundai launch were adamant that Hyundai's run best on E10.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting about the Ansett museum, Dazz.
Claire's Dad was an Ansett pilot until his heart problems were diagnosed then they made him supervisor of the Ansett runway operations at Brisbane airport.
In that role, he oversaw the arrival and transfer of the Beatles into Brisbane. Met them on the plane after it landed and explained the arrangements for getting them through the terminal.
Said they were well mannered and pleasant to talk to.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Claire's Dad was an Ansett pilot until his heart problems were diagnosed then they made him supervisor of the Ansett runway operations at Brisbane airport.
In that role, he oversaw the arrival and transfer of the Beatles into Brisbane. Met them on the plane after it landed and explained the arrangements for getting them through the terminal.

:goodjob:

It is only relatively small, but interesting displays...The old Guy with the MG told us some interesting stuff. His older Brother was also an Ansett pilot and their longest serving staff member. Something like 35 years service. He ended up very senior and in charge of a lot of people.  :cool:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
The guys at the Hyundai launch were adamant that Hyundai's run best on E10.

Add on tv in Qld  lately trying to get people to convert to E10 on their cars, latest one showing a Hyundai Elantra. If they made E10 a lot cheaper they may convert more.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There are quite a few cars I would consider if they didn't require premium (min 95 octane fuel) Things like the new Toyota C-HR. I often wonder if they are ok on E10 being it is 95 Octane. I must ask sometime. I guess it will be academic if they do away with the 91 Octane... :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Of course ............. we liverpudlians are well manered...   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
we liverpudlians are well manered...   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Of course, you're downright inhumane when Gulliver comes traveling! :foottap: :toldyou:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm not going to post any comments in this thread as I'm sick to death of other people having a better life than me  :foottap:, what with all this lovely travelling and fabulous weather...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm not going to post any comments in this thread as I'm sick to death of other people having a better life than me  :foottap:, what with all this lovely travelling and fabulous weather...

If you can endure a long day or two of travelling Steve, I would love to give you a 3 or 4 week royal tour of Tassie. December or March would be good!  :happydance:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Testing Dropbox video link.. This is a video of the steam engine in the paddle steamer we went on.

Can someone test this half an hour after I posted it to see if it works please?

http://www.dropbox.com/s/fnv30a40wnuofzx/20170405_104915.mp4?dl=0

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Seems to work.. I'll add the other 4 video links then they are uploaded in about 45 minutes...

Horse and Carriage at Pioneer Village Swan Hill Victoria.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/efc6nhupqml8mz4/20170406_102836.mp4?dl=0

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks John, So here are links to all 5 short videos I wanted to share from our trip..

Steam Engine in the Peversey Paddle steamer we went on recently. Took longer ones but this gives you the idea...

http://www.dropbox.com/s/fnv30a40wnuofzx/20170405_104915.mp4?dl=0

View of Canberra Paddle Steamer from the Peversey we were on (both over 100 years old I think)

http://www.dropbox.com/s/b6rlern24qo0dh9/20170405_110550.mp4?dl=0

Short Clip of horse and Carriage going past at Swan Hill Pioneer Village in Victoria..

http://www.dropbox.com/s/efc6nhupqml8mz4/20170406_102836.mp4?dl=0

Short tour of Pioneer Village in horse drawn carriage.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/fr5m4go26emoxtc/20170406_105845.mp4?dl=0

Thought this one was pretty cool.. in back of carriage being followed by Veteran (or is that Vintage) car..

http://www.dropbox.com/s/f6wijj838355tpf/20170406_110157.mp4?dl=0

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi Daz, Just tried one of your video links, initially wanted me to set up an account but I just clicked through that & video loaded.

Took a while to appear, but when play clicked it played in jerks & not very smooth - I'm on fibre so speed shouldn't be an issue.

I've come up with a couple of other options so may give them a go.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal