i30 Owners Club

Love my Diesel economy

Lakes · 11 · 5243

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all, well i loved the 08 CRDi 5 speed economy & the way the car performed.
& Love my new i30 CRDi 6 speed & how it performs & the fact that i only have to re fill with fuel about every 1,100k. this fact realy hit's home when i'm working as the Toyota Hi Ace petrol Auto Van has a larger tank than the i30 but it needs refilling every 300k drives me mad as i always seem to be in service stations every second day filling it up with fuel. then we got a Hyundai iLoad CRDi auto for a few days to use, & same size fuel tank as the toyota but i drove 200k and fuel gauge still near full. plus it has a lot of Torque & rides heaps better than the Hi Ace. My work friends at first did not want to drive the Hyundai, but they saw how much i liked it, then they wanted to use it, now we are fighting over who gets it :). i'm saying " but your all Toyota men :rofl:" also i was shocked as i thought it was front wheel drive, but it's got a diff at the back. i like that iLOad CRDi 5 speed auto, but i like my i30 CRDi 6 speed manual more :)
cheers
ps sorry for getting off topic but just giving another reason why i like diesels. & they fly up hills with a load in them!

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Lakes
Do you know that it is possible to use aircraft fuel in diesel cars?
When I worked for Rossiya airline, some technicians, who owned diesel cars, in the course of fuel sump drain procedure filled up the plastic bottles in order to mix it up with diesel afterwards (I don't know what a mixture ratio should be). 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi John,

No arguments from me.. Really glad you stuck with Hyundai when you upgraded (sounds like you are too) The only small reservation I have with Diesel is the fear of absent mindedly putting in the wrong fuel (like I did once with my old one) Still getting a minimum of 900Kms out of my Hybrid with plenty still in reserve  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Lakes
Do you know that it is possible to use aircraft fuel in diesel cars?
When I worked for Rossiya airline, some technicians, who owned diesel cars, in the course of fuel sump drain procedure filled up the plastic bottles in order to mix it up with diesel afterwards (I don't know what a mixture ratio should be). 

Hi Meehalych,  maybe it was jet fuel? but avgas is like or is infact petrol, i have ran my harley on avgas it's rated at about 100octain . i would think it more likely they were mixing it with Jet Fuel as that is like diesel or kero, but i've never used it for anything.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi John,

No arguments from me.. Really glad you stuck with Hyundai when you upgraded (sounds like you are too) The only small reservation I have with Diesel is the fear of absent mindedly putting in the wrong fuel (like I did once with my old one) Still getting a minimum of 900Kms out of my Hybrid with plenty still in reserve  :goodjob:

Hi Dazz, everyone thinks differently when it comes to cars or transport, i just like something that goes a long way without needing to refill & feels good or fun to drive so i can enjoy the drive, but i got together with some friends i had not see for a few years. one just got an XR6 turbo they seem borring to me, but the F6 6speed manual i drove a few years back was more fun, but this friend got an auto. the falcon feels too large to be fun to drive to me. the other friends partner got a new Lexus 250, she now wants to sell it & get a Mini, i asked her what she looks for in a car & she said "one that looks nice" LOL her partner my long time m8 had a Ford Territory Turbo he is more like me likes them to fell good but he never worries about fuel economy. the Territory Turbo was great i drove it, but he just sold it after two years got a top of the ranger Mitsubishi Pagero Turbo Diesel, his partner said she does not like the look of that LOL but, he said that he thought the Territory was 4WD then he towed his boat onto sand with it to put it into the water & got bogged said it was only driving with rear wheels so he got rid of it got the Pagero & loves it, just towed a big boat to SA to go fishing 20 hour drive said the 3LT turbo Diesel did the job well with good economy.
but me i'm happy with the i30 CRDi it gets me there & if i want to go fishing i would just charter a boat, if i want to go 4WD i'd hire one. LOL cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think I could go back to an i30 CRDi quite easily from the Hybrid (but would go the CW this time and want a 6 speed) but we would miss the better and quieter ride in the Hybrid...

Trish also likes the extra room in the HYbrid. Because I am fairly solid  :D Trish says I make her claustraphobic in the i30  :mad:

Will be interesting to see what we do in 2 years time when the Hybrid is 4 years old and we look to change it ... (I'm hoping the i40 has a Diesel variant by then)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I think I could go back to an i30 CRDi quite easily from the Hybrid (but would go the CW this time and want a 6 speed) but we would miss the better and quieter ride in the Hybrid...

Trish also likes the extra room in the HYbrid. Because I am fairly solid  :D Trish says I make her claustraphobic in the i30  :mad:

Will be interesting to see what we do in 2 years time when the Hybrid is 4 years old and we look to change it ... (I'm hoping the i40 has a Diesel variant by then)

The diesel is available here, so should be available there too. There are two engines, both 1.7 CRDi, one LP 115 hp and the other HP 136 hp versions. They say 115 hp is "enough" and 136 hp "just the right". I'm planing on test driving it when I take my i30 to have the oil changed for the first time (plan on doing it around 5-10k km) and hopefully, I'll be able to see if it is worth the money - but I already know I'll like it ;) Plan on taking some pics too.. Though I see where you are coming from..the Elantra I've driven yesterday, was sooo quiet and smooth, that I even thought it died couple of times ;)

Regarding the fuel economy. Mine is now at approx 6,1 lit/100 km which is great, because I had it like 6,6 lit/100 km in my previous i30 and with about the same way of driving.. The 6th gear obviously works great, as it keeps the rev's around or below 3,000 rpm at 140-160 km/h. Also the top speed (197 km/h) is at around 3,950 rpm, whereas before, it was at 4,250 rpm -> ps: it's interesting how you can feel how it "cuts off" power at 197. It wasn't that noticeable in my previous i30
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 23:27:48 by accim »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well guess what  :happydance:  Advert on front page of our local paper said i40 now available to test drive (2.0i) so I assumed that was only motor available so far BUT just went to website ...

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Vehicles/i40/Specification-Range

2.0 GDI (quite impressive) and 1.7 CRDi even better  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Hi Meehalych,  maybe it was jet fuel? but avgas is like or is infact petrol, i have ran my harley on avgas it's rated at about 100octain . i would think it more likely they were mixing it with Jet Fuel as that is like diesel or kero, but i've never used it for anything.
Hi, yes that was jet fuel I meant, actually the grade, which is used in Russia is either TS-1 or RT (there is no Jet A-1 here), both are very similar to one another and have got similar freezing point - from -59 to -65 degrees Celsius

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Oops, There goes the warranty. :oops:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi, yes that was jet fuel I meant, actually the grade, which is used in Russia is either TS-1 or RT (there is no Jet A-1 here), both are very similar to one another and have got similar freezing point - from -59 to -65 degrees Celsius

that is very interesting to know thanks Meehalych. i was getting aviation fuel mixed up with the piston engined plane or Avgas as we call it here.

also just today a guy was telling me Kero now costs $6 a litre here in Australia now, most who used it to clean parts now use diesel fuel.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal