i30 Owners Club

Service Pricing ...... AGAIN !!!

trev012 · 13 · 4500

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I know I keep banging on about the price of servicing at Hyundai main dealers but I make no apology for moaning about it once again  :fum: :fum:.  Hopefully it will be my last whinge as I fully intend going to an independent garage to have it serviced next year, once the 5 year warranty is finished.

Later this month, my 1.6 petrol i30 will be going in for its 4th annual service [50,000 miles] despite it having only covered 34,000 miles in this time. I am told this is a major service and will cost £278 + £35 for the annual MOT. Certainly not cheap  :sweating:.

In comparison, I have seen adverts both on the Internet and also in the national press advertising a major service for a Jaguar 3.0l & 4.2l petrol models for only £245 and this is from a main dealer. Furthermore, in the same paper on the same day, Volvo were advertising a 4th year service [50,000 miles] for a V50 1.6D at a cost of only £189 incl VAT and that also included 12 months roadside assistance + software upgrade. These are just two examples of cheaper servicing by different makes of cars. There are others.

Now I am not demeaning the Hyundai as an inferior car, but when it is up against both the above vehicles, I feel their pricing is way off the mark and think their servicing costs should be at least £80 less. That would make it a lot fairer. I know in the past I have been told that the Hyundai was a cheaper car to buy in the first place but this most certainly does not justify them trying to recoup some money through their main dealers charging exorbitant prices for servicing.

I only hope someone from Hyundai UK reads these forums and takes it on board and re evaluate their pricing structure  :whistler: :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fair call Trev. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I used dealer servicing once only.
Too expensive and that was at 3 yrs old.
On a Hyundai invoice no parts were listed etc etc and after asking them about that I was told that they use "approved parts and fluids" The big difference being their mark up on the parts and the extortionate labour costs.
After that I used a Vat registered independent place I trust.
They used equivalent or better quality parts and fluids.
After that I serviced it myself knowing my Warranty was up so it then got serviced properly, by me!
There was no cambelt on my 1.6 and I diligently replaced my brake fluid and coolant.
None of the jobs servicing an FD i30 are particularly hard.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
 :whsaid:

Think yourself lucky, they quoted me over three hundred UKPs...   So, I followed Keith out the door and off to a local service station who use equal or better.

I s'pose they have to fund the five year warranty somehow  <sigh>

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Once the warranty has expired, why not ask the dealer if they can price ex hy prices especialy if your mileage is low.

I did it when i had my accent and saved ££££££ compared to hy menu price
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I understand that Hyundai offer a fixed price service plan - which I never took up. But surely it is the dealers and not Hyundai who set their own service charges.

When I had my first i30 up for service I got quotes from my 3 nearest Hyundai dealers and they were all different - but more than an independent which was £28 less. For the sake of avoiding any chance of warranty hassle just for a minor cost saving  - I had it done at my local Hyundai dealership who agreed to better the lowest price I had been quoted.

Hence, my message is browse all the options and then haggle.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
My FD i30 is being serviced today at main agent. Cost is £327 including MOT (£35) which is more than I'd prefer to pay, but it does get me the stamp in the logbook I suppose.  Not sure what I'll do next year when the five years has expired.

I'm wondering about using a local garage but I don't have any recommendations. With my previous car I had an independent chap I trusted because of recommendations. Though he has been very inconsiderate and died - tragically early, was in his 40s I think.

When I had my Talbot Horizon in the 80s/90s I followed a mechanic who left the garage I used to get it serviced at - he was the only guy who could get the tappets sounding smooth ( I'd tried myself and couldn't manage it). Though when working on his own he started gouging customers to build up his retirement fund. He did my clutch twice in three years and I don't think it was duff either time and I don't think he ever really changed it, said I must be 'riding it' at the lights - which is tosh, I always engage neutral. So I stopped using him.

Maybe it is easier to get another new car.  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You make some interesting points Diablo  :goodjob:

"Mates Rates" never seem to last.. and a new car is always a joyous occasion (well mostly, anyway!)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Maybe it is easier to get another new car.  :mrgreen:
Always easy to spend money, and convince yourself for "the need", but also investigate alternative brands HONEST Forums first.
Several acquaintances, driving other manufacturers new vehicles, have numerous unsolved problems.
In 2012 a colleague bought a new Seat Leon which soon developed Limp Home Mode problems, eventually the Dealerships could not rectify and gave up and then ignored him, and he bought a Ford with other problems.......
It could be the luck of the drawer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

28 cars (I think) and I can honestly say I haven't had a lemon yet.. Had a few cars with a number of things to claim under warranty but usually just trivial things I could have probably fixed myself.

Even the 2nd hand cars I bought when I was younger seldom let me down.. :sweating:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

"Mates Rates" never seem to last..
:agreed:
Dazz, you are a Man of the Real World. :toldyou:
Must be all your various experiences :hatoff:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

28 cars (I think) and I can honestly say I haven't had a lemon yet.. Had a few cars with a number of things to claim under warranty but usually just trivial things I could have probably fixed myself.
Even the 2nd hand cars I bought when I was younger seldom let me down.. :sweating:
Lucky as well :happydance:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Ask the dealer for a price but not the hy menu schedule for the age/mileage for the car.

You may find they will be alot cheaper than the going rate if they "followed" the hy service schedule.

As i do low miles i got a good price on a previous model which was out of warranty.

They even beat an few indies i got quotes from.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal