i30 Owners Club

Filling up at Highway stops

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
G'day all

Got a few questions for you all. At quite a few of the Highway servo's there is a completely separate section for trucks with Hi flow pumps away from the car section bowsers. Then there are only 1 or 2 (out of 20 or so) normal flow distillate bowsers in the car section.

The question is: Is the distillate for the car section sourced from the same underground tank as the truck section? Or do they have their own separate tank?

I know the answer to this question may affect you Lakes and possibly others. As I know you like to source fuel from high turnover stations (such as truckstops) but unless you are using the truck hi flow pumps (is there anything saying we can't?) you could very well be getting rather 'old' fuel due to the little turnover in the 'car' section.

I keep forgetting to ask an attendant (whether they will know or not is another question) when I do stop at such places.

Next question is: With such a small tank is there a point to Hi Flow? You might get the first 40 or so litres in faster but the resulting extra foam means it will tank longer for a full to the brim tank..............

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Daniel,

Not sure if it's the same tank but I use whichever is available.. I am just a bit careful with the high flow (which in some cases has recommended for heavy vehicles only on the bowser)

I do not press the high flow trigger more than about half.

Here in Tassie the regular Diesel bowsers get plenty of use from ute and 4WD owners... seems to be almost as much as the unleaded from what I have seen..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi Daniel, i have no trouble with the high flow i don't use the trigger set like i do filling up a truck, just harder to fill all the way as larger diamiter nozzle. the one i mostly use uses different storage tanks but diesel fuel is same same price too. but not sure about other servos on the hwy never needed to refill on my trips as always less than 1,200. when i do trip to melb i'll take a 20L jerry, refill with that at gf's as it will use around that to her place then will just drive to melb. will prob do same when go to SA. but will use my ChemTech diesel power, does not give you more power though, more an insurance. but i'd say use BP keep all recepts as they say they stand by there fuel. i know a guy that used only Caltex kept all recepts had a motor go south on him needed a compleat rebuild was found fuel was at falt, Caltex covered that as he kept all fuel recepts like i do, this was a while back.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
good point you bought up there Daniel, also i was checking service scedual to see when fuel filter needs replacing it is 60,000K or 48 months so not that bad. i also note Hyundai have fuel conditioner to add every 15,000 has its own part number.

Could be a good idea to look into bulk group purchase of service parts, as could save $.  what are your thought's?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could be a good idea to look into bulk group purchase of service parts, as could save $.  what are your thought's?

Good idea john but with oil filter only about $20 and Air filter under $42 guess postage would probably offset any savings ...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i'm used to paying about $6 for oil filter and $25 aircleaner, but got charged $27 oil filter $35 air cleaner but don't need to change that often,so you are right, just don't think i'll shop at that dealer again. first time i went was about $20 oil filter and they just about needed story of your life as the i30 was still new, now they just want your money don't care who you are :)
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i'm used to paying about $6 for oil filter and $25 aircleaner, but got charged $27 oil filter $35 air cleaner

That's strange  8) I would have thought consumables pricing between Hyundai dealers would be more consistent than that ...

Looks like yo got charged about $5.50 more than me for your oil filter and $6.80 less for the air filter  :P

Cost me almost exactly $100 for Oil Filter, Air Filter and 5 litres of Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 oil (so cant see how the dealers can justify around $350 for labour on the 30,000 service.. I wont be paying that  :D)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
dazz cost me around the same as have a friend in oil distribution but price of that could rise any time. yes i think our old mate?? from WA that we have not seen in ages ( Jarrabark ) mentioned that he found a big diff in service pricing dealer to dealer. would just need to know how long service takes to work it out, they prob charge around $110 an hour?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal