Cyclists’ bad behaviour caught on camera – video

eye30 · 73 · 13074

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
An ID sticker on the front & rear of the helmet, should work. :idea:

What happens if I use somebody else's helmet?  Cars and motorcycles aren't required to identify the drivers, so why should bicycles?  What will it achieve?  I've already stated that "identifying" a vehicle won't stop the operator from using the vehicle illegally.

Same as if you use someone else's car. If you're photographed committing an offence, the registered owner has to provide a stat dec as to who the user was.

I, too have been the victim as a result of a car driver's stupidity. But there's no doubt a lot of cyclists regardless of the risks, abuse the system and flaunt the rules.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
On the subject of a bicycle rider not holding steady at a red traffic light, a large proportion of the traffic signals I encounter daily are controlled by inductor loops.

I can therefore understand why some cyclists would 'run' a red light if they knew it wouldn't change to their benefit when they approached it.
I can understand that too.
Fortunately in Oz, most traffic light controlled intersections run on a rotational sytem except at night when the sensors come into play.
Most of the instances I've seen of cyclists running a red light is where there is already traffic stopped at the light and they lane split to the front then just ride through.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
An ID sticker on the front & rear of the helmet, should work. :idea:

What happens if I use somebody else's helmet? 

You'd run the risk of head lice. You don't share toothbrushes, do you.  :eek:

I am not entering into the licensing debate, so no need to justify your position to me. I was just offering an id suggestion.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
So now we have gone from registering bicycles to registering helmets. WTF?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And as for not being to able to see the rego because of riding the bike. Same concept applies to when cars had rego stickers. Can you actually see the writing on the sticker as the car drives by? You know what colour it is, but you can't read the writing..........

I thought we were talking number plates?  :undecided:
Most States in Oz have done away with rego labels....

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Easy peasy.

Etch id into frame when bike is built.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's not much good for those wanting to report riders for behaving badly, also traffic light cameras might struggle to see the etching, Lester...  :whistler:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I saw an i30 driver today talking on a mobile phone and go through a roundabout without indicating.  Therefore all i30 drivers are idiots and need to be punished.  He had a number plate on, yet still did illegal things.

If a cyclist is caught running a red light, then they are fined.  Bicycles don't have enough metal in them to trip the red light camera, so putting number plates on them won't catch them.  If a policeman/woman stops a cyclist and asks for identification, then the cyclist is required to provide the identification.
I didnt say that all bicycle riders should be punished, a rego is a bit of accountability, so the comment of all i30 drivers should be punished is invalid......

But my question  to the pro- cyclist on this dicussion is.....

so what you are saying is, if you are in the wrong and cause an accident or are in an accident, that you shouldn't be held accountable???
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I saw an i30 driver today talking on a mobile phone and go through a roundabout without indicating.  Therefore all i30 drivers are idiots and need to be punished.  He had a number plate on, yet still did illegal things.

If a cyclist is caught running a red light, then they are fined.  Bicycles don't have enough metal in them to trip the red light camera, so putting number plates on them won't catch them.  If a policeman/woman stops a cyclist and asks for identification, then the cyclist is required to provide the identification.
I didnt say that all bicycle riders should be punished, a rego is a bit of accountability, so the comment of all i30 drivers should be punished is invalid......

But my question  to the pro- cyclist on this dicussion is.....

so what you are saying is, if you are in the wrong and cause an accident or are in an accident, that you shouldn't be held accountable???

That is not what I am saying at all.  What I am saying is that having registration plates will not stop bad behaviour, nor increase accountability.  Cyclists are accountable for their actions on their bicycles, as are car drivers, truck drivers, pedestrians, motor cyclists, etc.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But car drivers can be identified and caught up with later. Surely that's the difference?

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Ok. Think we come to a better understanding. I just want some sort of thing that identifies them. Doesn't mean that you may see it in time before they pedal away. Just like a hit and run with cars, might not get a rego plate before they speed off. But as it stands, there is nothing at all we can even try to get if something does happen as of now. And I doagree it is not going to curb stupidity. As I always said as a medic, "you can't fix stupid". Even though duct tape would quite it! :lol: But it would slow it down slightly, and it would give you some sort of possibility of tracking them down.

But anyways, you guys are like second family to me. Good for advice, laugh, and a shoulder. Enough with this thread I think,  we are here because of our cars, not pushy's.

And Ive wanted to use this banner and I say we  :TopicClosed:  :wink: :lol:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Interesting footage. Loved the macho man dropping his jacket in the front wheel with the accompanying somersault with face plant.  :judges:

The whole rego/id thing is a nonsense as you have all probably realised by now. It won't modify bad behaviour in the slightest and there's no way to enforce it effectively. Its always the first thing wheeled out (did ya see what I did there) ... no idea why. And if lets say you could id a cyclist somehow, what then? The police have way better things to do than chase idiots on bikes whether you can identify them or not. 

The real question is how to modify bad behaviour on the road? Fines obviously don't work or people wouldn't speed - for example.  :whistler:
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The real question is how to modify bad behaviour on the road? Fines obviously don't work or people wouldn't speed - for example.  :whistler:
Now that's an interesting observation, AK.
Or, we could say, "Fines obviously work or there's be a lot more drivers speeding and more often".

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
That's not much good for those wanting to report riders for behaving badly, also traffic light cameras might struggle to see the etching, Lester...  :whistler:

Ahhhh

BUT...........

If you are under the bike because it has run over you, you have a birds eye view of the id

:lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Why is it people always want topics closed when they've had their say?  :undecided:
Personally I'd rather they were left open so any latecomers can also put in their 2 cents worth....
If no one wants to add anything, the topic will die off naturally....

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Ughh... nevermind.....  :rolleyes:  Figured this topic was going no where.... no one will agree. No point bickering about it. But anyways I'm not going to debate on the issue anymore :neutral:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Why is it people always want topics closed when they've had their say?  :undecided:
Personally I'd rather they were left open so any latecomers can also put in their 2 cents worth....
If no one wants to add anything, the topic will die off naturally....

It's eye30's call, actually.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I've had my mind changed on a few topics because of information that I had not been aware of being made available to me through robust discussion. Like this topic, I used to be for registering bikes, even when I was riding. Capital punishment is another.

Now there is a can of worms.

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
My reason exactly on why cyclist need to have a rego. Maybe think twice before doing something stupid :neutral:

I agree. I bet the reason they oppose having a rego is because they know they will be caught.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Its always the first thing wheeled out (did ya see what I did there) ... no idea why.

The way I see it, much of it stems from jealousy....
Car drivers particularly hate to think other users are getting something they aren't.....
We see it with the lack of rego for bicycles, we also see it with bicycles & motorcycles having the ability to lane split/filter. How many times have we had someone say they should wait in line like everyone else?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

My reason exactly on why cyclist need to have a rego. Maybe think twice before doing something stupid :neutral:

I agree. I bet the reason they oppose having a rego is because they know they will be caught.

Not true. The reason I oppose it is that it will cost (user and taxpayer) a lot with no benefit.

Caught by whom? What bad hit and run stories are there about cyclists? Yet bicycle sales outnumber car sales in Australia. Who do the police need to catch? Who will report them? Will the police care?

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

hmm... lol

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

Now that's an interesting observation, AK.
Or, we could say, "Fines obviously work or there's be a lot more drivers speeding and more often".

Actually fines don't work as a deterrent. I'll get some papers together for your enjoyment.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

There is no opposition. That's another fabrication.

There's no case for registration of bicycles | The Urbanist
http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/blogs/on-your-bike/why-cyclists-should-never-pay-rego-20120614-20bk6.html

Here's a good line: If visible registration plates prevent traffic violations, then surely we should never see car drivers speeding, tailgating or texting while driving?

Just like fines don't prevent bad behavior, apparently nor does the ability to identify the vehicle.  :evil:

Bicycle registration is not the answer for bad behaviour

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/push-for-bicycle-registration-scheme-finds-powerful-backer-in-christine-forster-sister-to-pm-tony-abbott/story-fni0cx12-1226738618261

Read the last bit.

20 Oct 1938 - REGISTRATION OF BICYCLES Mr. Abbott Outlines Bil... <<

In 1938 the South Australian government looked at it and found - wait for it - no value in doing so.

Bicycle Registration | Bicycle NSW

And so on.

Registration of bicycles as a viable method of bringing peace and sanity to the roads - myth busted.

I'll get to the stuff about fines and why they don't work another time. Although since bicycles aren't going to be registered any time soon for good reasons, maybe its a non issue.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I Got the answer,string em all up by either the nuts or the nipples until they drop off,that'll teach em,but only when they get caught
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Journalist articles are only biased. Funny how the article with tony abbotts sister was all pro cycle rego and why it should be in place. Except that last sentence,  and wouldn't elaborate why it was ineffective.  :whistler:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Journalist articles are only biased. Funny how the article with tony abbotts sister was all pro cycle rego and why it should be in place. Except that last sentence,  and wouldn't elaborate why it was ineffective.  :whistler:

Read it again. It's pro insurance, a totally different beast.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I've got a couple of number plates that I have picked up off the road.  Perhaps I should stick one on my bicycle.

Like others have said, the cost to the taxpayer of having bicycles registered would far exceed any revenue.  Most cyclists have cars that are registered, so it's not like a cyclist is getting anything resembling a 'free ride'.  Every cyclist is one less car on the road.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal