i30 Owners Club

Coolant questions ?

Mal · 27 · 11116

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Hi Folks,

I just had a 90K service on my 2011 i30 at a Hyundai dealership in WA and they 'requested' I also have the cooling system flushed and a refill (with coolant.)
Initially I said 'no' as it was very expensive and 'on top' of the already very expensive 90k service.
This  service also included the timing belt replacement.
I was then told it could effect the warrentee if not done, so I relented and had them do it.
After it was done I ran through all the receipts from the previous services ( a different Hyundai dealer) and found the coolant was also replaced on the 45k service ?

I looked on the net to check the service schedule, as it was convenient at the time, and found it indicated that the coolant was to be 'inspected' at 60k and 90k. No mention of automatic replacement ?
My first thought was I'd  been 'ripped off' (again !)

I rang the service manager to discuss the situation and he said I was looking at a schedule designed for Europe and the Australian one indicates they change the coolant at the times it had been I.E. 45k and 90k.
He also mentioned that there was a new Hyundai coolant that doesn't require as frequent replacement which is not  available in Australia ?

My first thought was why does a major car producer, Hyundai, use coolant that doesn't last longer when most others seem too ?

Also, why 'request' I do something if its part of the 90k service I was paying to have done ?

Is this some sort of 'money maker' or is there good reasoning behind this ?

Any thoughts on this would be most intresting  ?????????

Happy motoring

Mal

• 2011 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I am pretty sure the Wife's CW (2.0 Petrol) had the coolant and brake fluid changed at the 2 year service.. Which I thought was overkill as she only does about 8,000kms PA .. but pretty sure it is every 2 years..  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If it's the green glycol coolant then it's 2 year intervals or you can use the red glycol which is available in Australia and has a 5 year interval, if your Hyundai service centre doesn't have or cant get then you can always pick it up yourself from Supercheap - AutoPro - Coventrys.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did they test it to check the specific gravity, i think that is what it is call?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If it's the green glycol coolant then it's 2 year intervals or you can use the red glycol which is available in Australia and has a 5 year interval, if your Hyundai service centre doesn't have or cant get then you can always pick it up yourself from Supercheap - AutoPro - Coventrys.
That is interesting Craig...

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Mal I have my coolant,brake and clutch oil tested every service,as Craig said if you use a true glycol green coolant,it should if it does not get contaminated be good for two years and as he also said use the red it should again if not contaminated last five years.

Just as an example,years ago I bought a Nissan Navara 4x4 brand new,had it regularly serviced,again every six months having the coolant tested(not once other than at testing time)every taking either the radiator cap or coolant bottle caps off,the coolant in that vehicle was still good thirteen years later when I sold it.

I would certainly be looking for a cheaper servicing option other than Hyundai,they are extremely over the top with their pricing

I know when I got  a quote from Hy for a 90 thou service for the diesel,it was a joke,when I asked what it would cost if I supplied the consumables this cut the service price in 1/4,what they charge you for parts and oils is ridiculous.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmm, it's strange that Hyundai require the coolant changed so often.

When working at VW/Skoda there was no interval for changing the coolant, only to check the coolant on the major services. Only times we changed the coolant was if a repair required the coolant to be drained any way.

Had a second hand Nissan Primera for 9 years / 200.000 km. Only once did I change the coolant, and that was because the radiator needed to be replaced. After 19 years / 335.000 km it was still running fine but the rust ended it's life.

If the Hyundai coolant is of so poor quality I would strongly consider using an aftermarket brand of better quality.. :undecided:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the Hyundai coolant is of so poor quality I would strongly consider using an aftermarket brand of better quality.. :undecided:
The quality would be the same as everywhere else if using glycol based coolant ( not inhibitor additive ) and they are all either 2 years for green or 5 years for red, if you don't have these expiry dates where you are then it could be because of our much harsher summer temperatures in Australia.

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Hi Folks,

many thanks for all your comments.
All very interesting.
I believe the coolant used should surely be the best available and not a coolant that needs replacing every 2 years or am I hoping for too much there and missing something obvious !  :wink:
Question: why does Hyundai use this coolant ?  :confused:

Ive since emailed the service manager re: the replacement at the 90k service and the request to pay extra. 
The answer - 
"Its not part of the service" si this is the reason I was called and asked if I would like them to do it- "bearing in mind I was told "if you don't do it I warn you it could effect the warrantee."
I don't understand that ........ but maybe its just me ?

My service passort ( I've now read it !) clearly says - engine coolant R (replace) 45 & 90 & 135 klms !

My thoughts so their scheduled service doesn't include all the items on the items the schedule covers.

Ive rang around and other dealers include this as a part of the service but it most likely would up the price ?

I know there are many cheaper ways to get cars serviced. I have rebuilt many cars in the distant passed so understand the basics quite well but no longer want to do it.
I took it to a dealer because Ive had problems with various mechanics over recent years with previous cars and I thought is was the 'safer option' IE. if they break anything it will be easier for the mechanic to get the part from their store and replace it rather than to hide it, as has happened to me before ! Also they've most likely replaced dozens of timing belts already so its an 'easy job' for them. I would hate to be the first heart patient the surgeon is about to perform on !  :eek: 

I guess the conclusion is as always -
With cars ( especially dealerships !) never presume anything.
Even if its written in a service book they can and will find a way to get more out of you if they can.
They are professionals at making money so NEVER presume anything. NEVER !
Like most people I would like to trust someone with my car and in my experience you cant trust dealerships.  If, for whatever reason, I go there again, and bear in mind their service seemed good other wise, I will have to go through everything,  'point by point'.

many thanks again for all your thoughts

Mal                     

• 2011 i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the feedback, Mal.

Hope you stick around.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the feedback, Mal.

Hope you stick around.
What Trev said, good posting Mal...

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I'm confused.

I've just gone down and had a look at my 2011 i30, and for both diesel and petrol it states that the coolant doesn't get changed for the first 10 years or 210,000km's and from there every 2 years/30,000kms.

Interesting...
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mine is a 2009 model. On page 16 of the service manual it states that the coolant should be replaced every 24 months or 45,000 klms, whichever occurs first.
There's no mention of the first 10 years proviso.  Strange.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm confused.

I've just gone down and had a look at my 2011 i30, and for both diesel and petrol it states that the coolant doesn't get changed for the first 10 years or 210,000km's and from there every 2 years/30,000kms.

Interesting...
I don't think you are reading it right.. it says see below. Which is the bit Trev stated.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
see photos straight out of my Owners Manual.  There is nothing mentioned about servicing schedule in the Service and Warranty Passport.

• 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is odd, my wife is out in her CW (so I can't post a photo at the moment but hers has a "see below" and a note underneath, on the left hand page I think...)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'd suggest the Hy have had a rethink about the coolant. I've never heard of 10 year life for any type.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Doesn't really matter what's written in the manual as the changing time specifications are noted on the coolant containers and the manufacturers of the coolant should know more about coolant lifetime than Hyundai :wink:

Maybe over there 10 year coolant is available but I've never seen it here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:20:14 by CraigB »

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
That's very well said, but for my car there is no bottle or specifications to look at as it came in the car, so would hope that HY have it right.

I would probably change it myself once the warranty has finished in a few years time.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

OK, here is a picture I just took of the wife's CW service book.. See note 2 and 3 below schedule

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hyundai Just like to confuse everyone,I have two 2011's my service book looks nothing like the two shown,but I have read both of mine today cover to cover and clearly states in both under ALL their vehicle ranges,that the coolant MUST be changed at 45 K intervals,something I didn't realize is that for all models it also says to replace all external belts at 60 K intervals,when I was going on what Hyundai themselves told me,that the serpentine belt would be good for at least 120 K,so who do you believe
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
No wonder I'm confused.  :p
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And just to confuse things even more, I see that from MY2012 model i30's onwards the coolant doesn't get changed until you hit 210,000k....and thereafter every 30,000k....  :head_butt:

*(2) REPLACE COOLANT 210,000KM OR 120 MONTHS REFER OWNERS MANUAL.  AFTER THAT, EVERY 30,000KM OR 24 MONTHS HYUNDAI GENUINE PART NUMBER AL003-50000

http://www.hyundai.com.au/ArticleDocuments/141/PassengerCRDi_i30_i40.pdf.aspx

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

And just to confuse things even more, I see that from MY2012 model i30's onwards the coolant doesn't get changed until you hit 210,000k....and thereafter every 30,000k....  :head_butt:

*(2) REPLACE COOLANT 210,000KM OR 120 MONTHS REFER OWNERS MANUAL.  AFTER THAT, EVERY 30,000KM OR 24 MONTHS HYUNDAI GENUINE PART NUMBER AL003-50000

http://www.hyundai.com.au/ArticleDocuments/141/PassengerCRDi_i30_i40.pdf.aspx

Now that is weird!  :eek: :undecided:

Offline mariabrew

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• Hyundai i30 Trophy
i dont want to take mine to a dealer is there anything wrong with auto masters for servicing.there down the road from me.your views please
  • hyundai i30 trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@ mariabrew,you can get your services done anywhere that does log book servicing so Auto Masters should be fine, in the case of a warranty issue it can be a bit more hassle if Hyundai have to work with a third party to check that services have been performed correctly.

If you have iCare roadside assistance included with your servicing then that can only be updated via Hyundai servicing I think :undecided: so you could possibly lose that option which can be  handy if you're stuck somewhere broken down, the icare assistance lasts for 7 years if continually serviced at Hyundai.

Offline mariabrew

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• Hyundai i30 Trophy
o thank you so much for the advice I am trying to learn all I can about this servicing. I trust these people to do the right thing but I no this isnt always true
  • hyundai i30 trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal