i30 Owners Club

Knocking on uneven ground. possible solution

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Have for a long time had the annoying knocking sound/noise when driving on uneven ground Have had the steering rod ends and all 4 stab rods replaced, but didn't help a bit.

A week ago it was time for the MOT and he found slack? in both steering rods (not the rod ends with the ball joint) and I had them replaced today.  What a difference that made... No knocking noises anymore, it's just like getting a new car since it have annoyed me for so long...

Happy camper...  :mrgreen:    :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:victory:

You're determined to squeeze every bit of life out of your mobile house-puller aren't you :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

You're determined to squeeze every bit of life out of your mobile house-puller aren't you :D
Going for the million I'd say :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear Henning. Good that you can do a lot of this yourself.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have for a long time had the annoying knocking sound/noise when driving on uneven ground Have had the steering rod ends and all 4 stab rods replaced, but didn't help a bit.

A week ago it was time for the MOT and he found slack? in both steering rods (not the rod ends with the ball joint) and I had them replaced today.  What a difference that made... No knocking noises anymore, it's just like getting a new car since it have annoyed me for so long...

Are we talking 54530D? I'd normally know these as tie-rods, 565402H000

Mine has a similar issue, only low speed uneven ground like dirt road or speed humps sometimes

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Are we talking 54530D? I'd normally know these as tie-rods, 565402H000

Mine has a similar issue, only low speed uneven ground like dirt road or speed humps sometimes

That's the suckers, yes...  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Good to hear Henning. Good that you can do a lot of this yourself.  :goodjob:

Yeah, but due to my renovation project, I let my trusted workshop do it this time. Anyway, an alignment was needed afterwards... :cool:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

It's only at 270,000 km. It just passed the MOT today so I might as well keep it for 2 more years.... :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Good work mate! Hyundai perfection hits the track again in Denmark.  :)

When we went from the steering box to the steering rack ( as in the i30) we introduced this problem into most of our cars.
Generally, it is just an annoyance long before it becomes dangerous.

The knocking will never even wake a lot of motorists on their smooth highways.  :P
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal