i30 Owners Club

GD front brake rotors fit on FD, but are not the same!

langa · 2 · 1491

Offline langa

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Just wanted to share my recent experience when servicing the brakes on my 2012 FD i30cw.

2012 is a tricky year for ordering parts as it is the changeover from FD to GD (at least here in Aus). I specifically mentioned this at the counter of my local parts store when purchasing the front and rear brake rotors to ensure I got the FD parts. Embarrassingly, I had let the brakes and tyres go too far and the car was unsafe to drive, so it was a bit of an emergency purchase.

I got home from the parts store late in the afternoon (with wheels and new tyres) and proceeded to replace the rotors and pads on the front. Little did I know that they had supplied me with GD rotors. They went on the car without any fitment issues so I did not notice immediately. The difference in specifications is subtle and not easy to spot with the naked eye. I ran out of time to do the rears (which were marginally still usable), so put the car back on the ground and took it for a test drive and brake bed in. No apparent issues.

The rears however are very obviously different, so that's when I noticed. Panic call to the parts store and got the rear rotors changed over. Then I had to research the difference between the two models for the front rotors. The difference is in the overall height and thickness of the rotors.

Thankfully the parts store was very accommodating, I've now purchased the correct front rotors and they are willing to refund me for the GD rotors even though they have been fitted and used, albeit only for a few days and few hundred kms.

Lesson learned, from now on I will say my car is a 2011 model!

For reference:
SpecificationFDGD
Diameter280mm280mm
Height47mm45mm
Thicknes26mm23mm
Min Thicknes24mm21mm
  • 2012 FD 5 Door Wagon CRDi SLX Auto White

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
In the UK there are also different discs (rotors) for the GD, my car has 15" wheels but some have 16" wheels as the front braking system was changed around 2015 so 15" wheels are too small for later models. If you use an on-line catalogue like :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World you can enter your VIN number and it will show the original Hyundai part number. You can then use that as a search term to cross-reference it to after-market suppliers, some of whom will have dimensioned drawings on their websites.

I find motor factors often make errors and sell you the wrong part. In one instance when I wanted rear pads they opened up the boxes of 3 different brands which they claimed fitted my car, but all were wrong. Eventually I bought a brand that published detailed drawings so I could check for myself.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal