i30 Owners Club

FatBoy's European Work Trip

FatBoy · 19 · 17354

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As some of you may know, I have had a change of aircraft type and role at work, and have now moved to doing Air Ambulance work.  As part of the transition, I have had to travel to Germany to conduct a simulator training session.  I know, it's a tough gig, but somebody has to do it.

The trip to Germany was long, starting in Hobart at 11:40am and finishing in Siegburg (near Bonn) at 9:00am the next morning (add another nine hours for the time zone change).  I did get to ride on the fastest train that I have ever been on from Frankfurt to Siegburg, which topped out at 282km/h (that I saw).

Due to the company's fatigue rules, we can't travel all the way from Australia to Germany and be expected to work the next day, so we get one whole day off before we are subjected to the machine of death that is called the "EC145 Simulator".  During this day off, my colleague and I decided to head up the railway line to Cologne.

Here are a few photos.

Here is me crossing the Rhine.

One of the many barges plying it's trade on the Rhine.

The bridge was full of locks with names of people in love inscribed on them.  I could find one that said "Dazz loves i30s", it must have been on the other side of the bridge.

A little piece of art, balancing on the bridge.

We then walked up to the Cologne Cathedral.  A very impressive structure that commands your attention.  Unfortunately the photos that I took from inside the Cathedral didn't work out the best.  It was very dark inside and the flash would have only lit up the person in front of me, not the magnificent stained glass windows and pieces of stone work that are all over the building.

:link: Cologne Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After that tiring and thirsty work, we decided to stop in a restaurant for lunch.  I don't think I could have had a more German experience, eating Pork Knuckle with Sauerkraut and Mashed Potato on the banks of the Rhine, while drinking Kolsch beer.

The last few days have been very hectic in the simulator.  Some rewarding, some soul destroying.  I don't know what it is, but I get nervous every time that I go into a simulator.  Maybe it is because I am afraid that somebody will figure out that I can't actually fly a helicopter, and the game will be up.  Or it maybe that I know that I am being assessed, and my career is depending on my performance.  Anyhoos, today was hump day, so my colleague and I went out for dinner (again) and had a nice beer in a sports bar before eating.  I don't know, but it looks like somebody forgot to cook Alex's hamburger.

Well, I have another two days in the simulator, and start heading home on Monday lunchtime.  All things going well I should be home in Tasmania on Tuesday night.  I'm just hoping that one of the flights will give me a Business Class upgrade!!  Please please please!!  I did get one on the flight from Hobart to Sydney, unfortunately it was the shortest leg.  The food and service however, was sensational.  Thank you Virgin!!

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Great snaps  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I think it was beer they were drinking
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Your quick-wit'ed'ness never ceases to amaze me :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Your quick-wit'ed'ness never ceases to amaze me :lol:

I'm not half as witty as in my yoof.

I am now just a half wit
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant: Thanks for the mention BTW.

I thought flying a Helicopter would be fairly hairy, but not in your's or your Alex's case!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:brilliant: Thanks for the mention BTW.

I thought flying a Helicopter would be fairly hairy, but not in your's or your Alex's case!
You've heard of people going grey with fright.
Well, imagine how much these two scared themselves while flying to cause all their hair to fall out.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Guten Morgen, Mein Herr   :Shocked:

Sounds a great trip,  beer and Pork Knuckles, yum. Love Gemany.  Great pics there mate.

The company was a bit tight with the airfares, not even Premium Economy?    :spitty:

• FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
FatBoy's barber apparently provides a glass of nice Tasmanian whiskey as well as a hair cut.
I guess you'd have to get some value for money.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
FatBoy's barber apparently provides a glass of nice Tasmanian whiskey as well as a hair cut.

It is currently a Scottish Single Malt that she serves.  Hence I go in every day for a haircut.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It is currently a Scottish Single Malt that she serves.  Hence I go in every day for a haircut.

:goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
33 hours (I am assuming an you left Hobart at 11:40 but had to be at the airport earlier than that) for a trip to Germany isn't too bad time wise.   Did they stop part-way? Such as Singapore, Dubai, etc.?
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great pics, especially i liked the beer one .............
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
33 hours (I am assuming an you left Hobart at 11:40 but had to be at the airport earlier than that) for a trip to Germany isn't too bad time wise.   Did they stop part-way? Such as Singapore, Dubai, etc.?

Yep. I had two flight changes, one in Sydney from Virgin to Singapore Airlines, then a flight change in Singapore to another Singapore Airlines flight.  Unfortunately Hobart to Germany direct flights are hard to come by.   :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yep. I had two flight changes, one in Sydney from Virgin to Singapore Airlines, then a flight change in Singapore to another Singapore Airlines flight.  Unfortunately Hobart to Germany direct flights are hard to come by.   :whistler:

Hobart to anywhere flights are hard to come by.   :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

Hobart to anywhere flights are hard to come by.   :lol:

Indeed Qantas used to fly Canberra to Hobart direct, that was canned a while ago, now one has to go from Sydney Airport , which is a 4 hr drive for me, I could get from here to Canberra Airport driving ye olde FD i30 in 1.5 hours, easy airport to access and park.

Achtung !!! One would think Lufthansa would fly Hobart- Frankfurt direct just for Mr FatBoy.  :crazy1:  Pork Knuckles, Sauerkraut and Gosser bier all the way !!
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Trazza

• 2nd Gear
  • Trazza

• au Australia
      East coast of Australia

• My i30 is my significant other 💓
What a great adventure!!  Thanks for sharing. Great story lines to go with the photos. 

But,  you left us with a cliffhanger!

did you get your certification??
  • 2015 i30 Active X (Gen2) 5Dr hatch, 1.8L petrol, 6speed man

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal