i30 Owners Club

Worth it? (2012 Petrol Hyundai i30 Elite model: $19,000: 10,000km)

Pantries · 289 · 54229

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
G'day, I'm thinking of purchasing a 2012 Petrol Hyundai i30 Elite model for $19,000 with 10,000km. I'm a green p plater, and take care of my current vehicle which is unfortunately turning to crap.

Is 19,000 a good price for the above? And does the resale value go down drastically?

Cheers.
  • Hyundai i30 Automatic Petrol Premium 2012

Offline i30Feargal

• 5th Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Donegal, ROI
Top o' the mornin' :D

I guess that $19,000 figure depends on which country's dollars you're talking about :P. Ho ho ho ho ho
Ho
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 14:42:12 by i30Feargal »

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Apologies, NSW, Australia.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Cheapest I can find on Carsales is $19900 for a manual.  Cheapest new manual is 23,388.

So you can see it has dropped 3.5k in 12 months....

The first year is always the worst when it comes to depreciation.....

I would say your price is fairly good, but again it depends on condition rego etc.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Mmm, not sure whether to purchase it. I like the look of it and will take it for a test drive but it sounds like a great price, but then again I know nothing about cars. Rego expires soon so that'll probably add a grand and condition looks great.

I might trying haggle it to a lower price though.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
of course you will haggle it for a low price, and tell them to throw in the rego/carpets/dashmats and see what they say......if they don't bargain much , at least try and get 12mths rego out of them , otherwise you let them know they are not the only dealer in town......

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
It's a private seller, any tips on how to haggle a private seller?

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
look at it, make comments about scratches, rego,  etc....check service book is up to date and stamped by the dealer.....then haggle him down....everything you find that cost money comes off the price

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
look at it, make comments about scratches, rego,  etc....check service book is up to date and stamped by the dealer.....then haggle him down....everything you find that cost money comes off the price

What does the trade mags give as a low/high price.

Use that as a guide and rather than haggle just say $xxxx take or leave it.

Also, Depends on how quick they want to sell.
If selling to buy new car then they may want shut fast so knocking down may work to your advantange.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 :welcome: Pantries, to me $19,000 10,000k private sale seems high. like as you said rego almost up so look at that as $20,000. then ask yourself WHY? like why would you sell after only 12 months of ownership. i think it could possibly have had an accident so have that checked out & is there money owing on it?i would offer $17,000 if never been in accident & never had warranty claims. if its been repaired i would not buy it.
good luck with it.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
:welcome: Pantries, to me $19,000 10,000k private sale seems high. like as you said rego almost up so look at that as $20,000. then ask yourself WHY? like why would you sell after only 12 months of ownership. i think it could possibly have had an accident so have that checked out & is there money owing on it?i would offer $17,000 if never been in accident & never had warranty claims. if its been repaired i would not buy it.
good luck with it.

Really? I thought $19,000 was good for an Elite version, and 10,000km doesn't seem like a lot. They claim because of retirement for selling it early. I was thinking of trying to get it down to 17,000 too.

What would you say is a good price for it? That is if their are no issues.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i thought it was the base model, & retirement is a bit lame, as if they were planing that they would not have bought a new car, that they would not keep long.  i don't think they would take $17,000 for elite 12 month old but use the fact that you only get 4 year warranty & have to pay rego & insurance on top  try $18,000 & haggle also has it had its first service as some just leave them 15,000k but they need a service @ 1st year or 15,000k check what oil looks like & smells like. & double check no repairs or warranty claims on it

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Make sure the service record is stamped by a HY dealer preferably, or at least a known authorised and qualified business, otherwise Hy can walk away from the 4 remaining years of warranty. If that were the case, it could knock $,000s off the price, as you would be up for the cost of all repairs, both parts and labour.

Check that there is no finance owing on the car, as you would be liable for that cost too.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Yeah ill try using the fact that the registration expires in a few weeks, and that there's already one year warranty reduced from the original 5 year warranty. They did mention they got a service at 7000km.

I'll be sure to get a history check on it too.

Cheers for the responses, appreciate it.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Cheers mate, let you know how I go with haggling.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Use the fact you can get a new one with 12 months rego for 19990 and have the 5 years warranty.

Sure it has more kit. but when haggling this really is just a bonus (at least that's what you tell them).

Remember the closer it gets to rego the better price your going to get (no one wants to pay for more when there only selling it).

I wouldn't be too concerned about selling it after a year, do all the due diligence of course, but things change, they may have intended to stay in the workforce for a bit longer when they bought the car, and got made redundant and decided to take the money and retire (there is plenty of that going around).

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Use the fact you can get a new one with 12 months rego for 19990 and have the 5 years warranty.

Sure it has more kit. but when haggling this really is just a bonus (at least that's what you tell them).

Remember the closer it gets to rego the better price your going to get (no one wants to pay for more when there only selling it).

I wouldn't be too concerned about selling it after a year, do all the due diligence of course, but things change, they may have intended to stay in the workforce for a bit longer when they bought the car, and got made redundant and decided to take the money and retire (there is plenty of that going around).

You've made a few good points mate, cheers for the help.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Here's some info this model on the Redbook site
http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2012-hyundai-i30-gd-634641?R=634641&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=0&eapi=2
Hmmm, says $19,900-$22,000 as the private price guide. So it is cheap but not uniquely cheap I guess?

I'll try 17-18,000 and see what happens. Surely that'd be more worthwhile?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
the private price is a bit of a joke these day's as everyone wants wholesale price for a used car as that is all you get as trade in. and the private price is too close to new car price. the private seller does not have to give you anything , like no warranty no guarantee. but depends on how fast the seller wants to sell the car i guess.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Offered 18,000, see how that goes. $18000 for this car is still pretty good I guess?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Hmm, $18000 was declined. Is $19000 to much? He was originally asking for $19990. I'm not good with cars so I'm not sure. Pitching that insurance and registration will bump up the price, he was still ideal on $19000.

I was told resale value isn't that great for this vehicle? But isn't that like all Ford, Holden, Toyota etc vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:58:40 by Pantries »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd harp about the rego expiring and leave him with an offer of $18,500 (tell him you will leave that as your final offer for 7 days) If you are meant to get it that should do the trick  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
I'd harp about the rego expiring and leave him with an offer of $18,500 (tell him you will leave that as your final offer for 7 days) If you are meant to get it that should do the trick  :goodjob:

Alrighty, fingers crossed something comes of it.

How's the resale value for these cars? I probably won't sell it for a while... 3 or so years I guess.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Resale on most cars is fairly crappy at the moment due to a large amount of competition in the new car market.

Personally I tend to own my cars for 5 or more years for this reason. My 2010 I30 has 85000k on it and will have 125,000 odd on it when I sell it. If the market won't at least pay out the lease, I'll roll it over for another 12 months and see what happens.

The problem with keeping the car for a short length of time is you are not only competing with other used cars on the market, but also the prospect that for a couple of grand more you can get a new car with full warranty.

The elephant in the room with resale is the fall and fall of the A$. From my reading this will push up the price of some cars (especially those in US$). Which will push up the cost of most new cars, and should make second hand cars more attractive to buyers.

Unfortunately when you buy a car, your exposed to more of the price upside, as the car you buy is in most cases more expensive than the car you sell.

In short buy the car that makes the most sense to you, keep an eye on the resale, but don't obsess about it.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Seems the vehicle ended up selling for $19,000. Just missed out haha. $19000 sounds pretty cheap to me for the Elite model.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Seems the vehicle ended up selling for $19,000. Just missed out haha. $19000 sounds pretty cheap to me for the Elite model.

Looks like you weren't meant to get it  :undecided: Hopefully a bargain will come along soon...

Because the i30 is a top seller these days resale is a lot better than most earlier Hyundais (the Diesel, in particular, really holds its value well) :hatoff:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Well now you have a $$ marker to compare future purchases.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal