i30 Owners Club

Crdi Auto fuel economy

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Just acquired a new CRDi and its reporting 5.6 after a run from Brisbane to Toowoomba. It was down to 5.1 but I held the revs @ about 3000 to go up the range. Probably not necessary but excellent fun. It seems the figures are most likely academic, it does not seem to use much fuel at all.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Keith .. Nice car and nice feedback  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi keith_h

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new car. 

Your first dieselcar..   Just wondering why you would keep the revs at 3000 when cruising on the highway..  :question:

...or did I misunderstand something.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi & welcome to the forum.  :goodjob2:

Asterix, I think he's referring to when climbing the hills.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
The Toowoomba range is very steep and requires a bit of a boot from any car. Still could easily sit on 2500 but 3000 means zoom zoom!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Where is the Toowoomba range, relevant to your destination in minutes. At those revs, the turbo will be working quite hard so it is important that the engine gets at least 1 minute at idle before switch off, to cool the turbo shaft. Is that happening in your case. 
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi & welcome to the forum.  :goodjob2:

Asterix, I think he's referring to when climbing the hills.

Maybe, but I can tow my 1400 kg caravan and i30 fully loaded, on a 5 % incline doing 85 km/h in 4th gear at 2500 revs.
But then again, I have never been at the Toowoomba range.. :snigger:

And as Kieth wrote:

Probably not necessary but excellent fun.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Thanks all for the comments and observations. Toowoomba is about 90 minutes west of Brisbane and the drive up the range is quite steep and infested with trucks in low gear and other slow moving traffic. While the car will easily grunt up the hill I chose to keep the revs up slightly to keep things moving along. Being brand new, 3000 rpm seemed to do the trick nicely and only takes a few minutes if you get a good run. The car now has a whole 490km on it after the return trip, the fuel consumption following the trip was 5.5 according to the computer which was reset just before I left and 7.1 from a refill taking into account some around town driving done prior to hitting the highway. I may not have filled it up completely the first time either. Irrespective, its used about the same amount of fuel for the journey as our Getz while carting a much bigger load and its brand spanking new to boot. Range is about twice that of a Getz and its just a much better place to be on the road, easier to drive, more comfortable for passengers the list goes on. As the engine acquires some kilometres I expect the fuel consumption to get even better so its all good so far as I can see.

http://goo.gl/maps/4q9Se

Driving this car on the highway is quite interesting. Overtaking requires a tiny flex of the ankle, imperceptibly to passengers the car assumes an overtaking speed. Moving back out of the overtaking lane and the car resumes its cruising speed. Its uncanny how effortlessly this occurs. The auto transmission works well and passengers reported being unable to detect gear changes. Nice work Hyundai engineers.

@ Asterix, thanks for the heads up on the turbo, I'll keep that in mind however this car will mostly be driven more in line with its makers intentions I think as there is absolutely no need to wind it up on a regular basis. I used the cruise control down the highway, only held it in gear for a few minutes up the hill. I previously had a Golf diesel but i30 CDRi/auto is a much better car in my view.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:28:33 by keith_h »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

What a great post.
Especially the last bit.  ;)  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :agreed: :whsaid:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, Unlike another of our recent new members.. You HAVE read "how to win friends and influence people"  :D Like Dave said great post thanks  :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nice writeup, but must admit I cringed a bit though when I read that you kept it spinning at 3,000rpm on a brand new engine...  :confused:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Nice writeup, but must admit I cringed a bit though when I read that you kept it spinning at 3,000rpm on a brand new engine...  :confused:

But the redline is way past 3k. :wink: The i30 manual states engine speed between 2 and 4k is preferred for the first 1000km so I figured its OK to keep it at 3k briefly and possibly better than letting it grind its way up at lower engine speeds.

An observation from when I did this, the engine seemed quite happy and stress free, not noisy and it fairly flew up the hill. Most unexpected behavior from a diesel engined car in my experience. 

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes, redline is way past, but maximum torque is from around 1900 to 2800rpm.....

>but I held the revs @ about 3000 to go up the range.

That is the part that made me cringe, if it was just a brief rev I wouldn't have any near as much concern...

Call me old fashioned but I just don't believe in giving an engine too much stick with so little k's on the clock.....
That's not to say I am right.. :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Us older guys who well remember the days when you had to treat the car with cotton gloves for the first X000 miles might be reluctant to adjust.  But it is a long time since I bought a car that had to be nursed.

I must confess that for some years now I have driven new cars no differently to older ones. Modern manufacturing techniques and high quality control standards by all the leading brands make it unecessary to "run in" a modern engine.

An engine running at 3000 rpm in a high gear will not be loaded as highly as one developing the same power in a lower gear and doing say 1500 rpm.

You can prove this for yourself - ride a bike up hill - and see which gear you feel most comfortable with.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
 :whsaid:

Alfa Romeo used to pull boxer engines off the production line and run them at the redline on a dyno as a quality control measure.

I'm pretty sure its not an issue these days but I can understand why some folks might be a little uncomfortable at the thought of keeping an engine spinning like I did but as Alan indicates the engine was loaded more lightly than had I made it go up the hill at lower revs.  That was a no no way back when for a new engine and its outside Hyundai's recommendations today as well.

Here's some info on "breaking in" piston aviation engines which explains whats going on and might help alleviate some concerns. http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182895-1.html

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 21:40:53 by keith_h »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Modern manufacturing techniques and high quality control standards by all the leading brands make it unecessary to "run in" a modern engine.

Thanks Alan, but surely the fact that the little diesel starts to give it's best fuel consumption somewhere after 10,000k would suggest that things still need to "run in" as such?  :undecided:

Here's some info on "breaking in" piston aviation engines which explains whats going on and might help alleviate some concerns. http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182895-1.html

Thanks for the link, Keith.... :goodjob:

At the end of the day if you intend on only keeping your car for a couple of years, I guess it doesn't really matter....  :whistler:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
lol.

We had two golfs, the diesel did over 500k before the front end fell out. The engine did about 300k before needing a rebuild. The petrol one did over 300k before we sold it but it was used for motorkhanas and track work. I rebuilt the engine at about 200k. There was never an issue with engine longevity for either of them even with, lets say, "vigorous" use. It has been my experience that the key to longevity is regular oil changes and maintenance. 

I'm expecting much better things from the i30 and its not going anywhere near a track. Nonetheless, they appear to go pretty well...  :whistler:

http://www.youtube.com/v/FmEAhBwg_fo

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is an FD model Auto too.. and that Driver is a member on here (hasn't posted for a while though)  :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Must be Bristig, it appears he knows his way round Lakeside. I noted the earlier diesel car also used in the Tassie Targa. Note in the comments someone asked about the fuel consumption.  :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/v/SbFvSAVGe6o

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
The black car is back from a longish trip today, also showing 5.5 on the readout. Awaiting a refill before working out what the actual fuel consumption looks like.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The black car is back from a longish trip today, also showing 5.5 on the readout. Awaiting a refill before working out what the actual fuel consumption looks like.

Pretty good for a new (tight) Auto... :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:whsaid:

Do you know what the average speed is showing?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
How do I check?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How do I check?

I haven't had a play with the Trip Computer in the new model but in the old one I think you just pressed the display repeatedly to get the different readouts  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Same in the new one, just scroll through until av speed comes up.
It's a good indicator of the type of driving you've done on a particular tank.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Average is 60 for about 400km.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Average is 60 for about 400km.

I guess that would equate to about 50/50 Urban/Rural driving?  :confused:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
I'd say so.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal