i30 Owners Club

SERVICE

Bluey · 38 · 10538

Offline Bluey

• 1st Gear
How does your warranty stand if you get your service done by a non Hyundai business ie   Autotune, tune up masters ect

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If your in Australia it is fine so long as the person doing the service is qualified and performs the service as listed in the log book.

You can also use non genuine parts.

The only time an issue will arise would be if Hyundai can prove that the service was not done correctly or the non genuine part was the cause of any issue
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :whsaid:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
I know over with the UK it can void your warranty.
Reason being, is that HY has the diagnostics which are put on your car every service, to make sure everything is running 100%.
If they pick up that an ABS sensor is running at 70% they can change it there and then at the service, under warranty. Changing this early means it can't put a strain on any other components linked to it, e.g. ESP or EBD etc (not 100% if these would be directly affected not a mechanic but you get the idea.

Therefore if your personal garage service the car, and dont have the latest diagnostics etc to check for these items that are not running 100%, and a while after you find two components, linked to each other, fail, because you didnt realise that the component at 70% was putting strain on the component that used to be 100% , you have now ended up with 2 components going at one time, rather than just one initially.
This means that you are trying to claim two parts off warranty, plus labour etc, for something that should have been just 1 component, if originally picked up on from the HY service.

I can understand myself that the costs are substantially cheaper at non HY garages, but when your getting a 5 year warranty, surely its beneficial to pay that extra cost and make sure the warranty stays in tact. Also you get that priceless HY Garage stamp in your service book, which is also check when any warranty claims are made.
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Spoken like a true Hyundai Dealer Employee Sye  :whistler:

But fair call .. in Oz they aren't allowed to insist you use the dealer to keep your warranty  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Spoken like a true Hyundai Dealer Employee Sye  :whistler:

But fair call .. in Oz they aren't allowed to insist you use the dealer to keep your warranty  :goodjob:
I don't know what you mean.  Even in my Getz, I got it serviced at the HY dealer, ,it was out of warranty, but when you know the quality of work you get, and the full dealer service history, it helps sell the car.

I reckon its a safer bet, because the dealer is going to be backed by HY if any discrepancies occur, you go to the big men above. at the small garage down the road, there's no back up, if they go bust.. ur Fubarbed.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There is currently action in Australia to force vehicle manufacturers to make this sort of information available to other mechanical workshops on the basis that they are currently engaged in restrictive trade practices. That's a layman's interpretation of it BTW.
Most decent operators have the scan tools necessary to read the fault codes, they just need access to the information in them. Not sure how it will go but I believe (Rustynuts may know more) it's happening at Senate level.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm getting my Hybrid serviced by Toyota for the first 3 years ($130 fixed price servicing to 60,000 kms) after that probably back to my local bloke..

The problem here is the Hyundai dealer charges top $$$ and usually done by a young apprentice mechanic  :rolleyes:

If an apprentice hairdresser gives you are haircut they charge you a lot less..  :razz: But not in the car service industry  :winker:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I understand where your coming from. (=

I know over in the UK there was a 3 years free service deal on the i20, we get the odd offer for servicing, but rarely.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I
I understand where your coming from. (=

I know over in the UK there was a 3 years free service deal on the i20, we get the odd offer for servicing, but rarely.

I'm not trying to give you grief Sye .. Maybe they are more realistic in your area (and i get mates rates at my local service centre)  :happydance: (actually I gets mates rates on nearly everything)   :D

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I know you weren't :)

You must have a lot of mates :P Proof of who you know, not what you know.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Combination of our relatively small population, all the different industries I have worked in and the bargaining skills inherited/learned from my late Italian Mum (God bless her)  :'(

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
There is European legislation that includes UK on this.
I'll try & find a link... it's around anti competitive practices on vehicle Servicing & Warranty.
Briefly I believe any qualified & V.A.T registered establishment can do Servicing without affecting Warranty providing genuine or equivalent parts & fluids are used.

I'll get back if I find anything before Asa or the other Hyi30 hotshots do... :-)

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer_leaflets/cars/oft707.pdf

So in essence... since 2004 we are free to have our cars serviced by anyone competent as described... the exception being any PURCHASED extra Warranty...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:44:52 by Ffoxy »
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So maybe similar to Oz then  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Combination of our relatively small population, all the different industries I have worked in and the bargaining skills inherited/learned from my late Italian Mum (God bless her)  :'(

Plus nearly everyone in Tassie is related... :p

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Plus nearly everyone in Tassie is related... :p

That's why I said relatively small population  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
There is European legislation that includes UK on this.
I'll try & find a link... it's around anti competitive practices on vehicle Servicing & Warranty.
Briefly I believe any qualified & V.A.T registered establishment can do Servicing without affecting Warranty providing genuine or equivalent parts & fluids are used.

I'll get back if I find anything before Asa or the other Hyi30 hotshots do... :-)

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer_leaflets/cars/oft707.pdf

So in essence... since 2004 we are free to have our cars serviced by anyone competent as described... the exception being any PURCHASED extra Warranty...

No no, I must bow to the Shropshire lad on this...   I am a pre-paid dude for the first three, then after that I may well pay Hy to do the remaining two till the warranty expires.
If I had a bigger garage and ramps I would do all my own after that but alas I do not and my days of crawing round under cars is loong gone <sigh>...

Anyhow Ffoxy you keep un the good work it'll be interesting to know whats what   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've posted on here before that I do check service prices at indep and although I've found them to be less the saving was low £££. Plus they provide a loan car FOC except for used fuel.

For the extra few £££ to pay I've had my current and previous Accent done at HY dealers.

This way if I have a claim under warranty there should will be no refusal as they have done the service in accordance with HY schedule. 

If they used the wrong fluids, for example, I see them as liable.  Whereas, if an indep had used the wrong fluids HY UK would not even consider it and to prove liability with the indep will be cost £££££ and time.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Wise man asks & checks... ensures the receipt indicate what has been used where.

No-on can ever be sure... at the end of the day.... it goes dark.....
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm getting my Hybrid serviced by Toyota for the first 3 years ($130 fixed price servicing to 60,000 kms) after that probably back to my local bloke..

Is a hybrid likely to have even more stuff which is out of the realm of the local car mechanic compared to a run of the mill Hyundai?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is a hybrid likely to have even more stuff which is out of the realm of the local car mechanic compared to a run of the mill Hyundai?

Apparently not... :confused: (seems like the electric part is pretty much maintenance free...)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

No no, I must bow to the Shropshire lad on this...   I am a pre-paid dude for the first three, then after that I may well pay Hy to do the remaining two till the warranty expires.
If I had a bigger garage and ramps I would do all my own after that but alas I do not and my days of crawing round under cars is loong gone <sigh>...

I am in exactly the same situation.  Up until a few years ago I did my own servicing on  my new cars and  never had a warranty claim on any of them.
Buying the i30 last May I decided to go for a five year servicing plan which I got reduced to £1008 (54  monthly payments of £18+) which equates to £200 average. This compares favourably with the rates quoted  by the dealer for each of the first five services but those prices will certainly increase whereas my cost is fixed.  I can pull out at any time with a £40 penalty and no more payments so immediately after a service would be the ideal time If I wanted to do that.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

I am in exactly the same situation.  Up until a few years ago I did my own servicing on  my new cars and  never had a warranty claim on any of them.
Buying the i30 last May I decided to go for a five year servicing plan which I got reduced to £1008 (54  monthly payments of £18+) which equates to £200 average. This compares favourably with the rates quoted  by the dealer for each of the first five services but those prices will certainly increase whereas my cost is fixed.  I can pull out at any time with a £40 penalty and no more payments so immediately after a service would be the ideal time If I wanted to do that.

Oh right I was only offered three years <sigh>...  It does sound a lot of money, as indeed did mine when I took it out, however, since then the American prime lending fiasco has driven the *WORLD* into recession and prices are climbing steadily.  The effect of all of this for me is that with the VAT increase and the never ending increase in the price of consumables I am feeling quite smug about things and hope that you will also as time passes by.  Some nay sayers might tell you you've made a mistake, but, hold your nerve and do your own research as things move along and as you say, there is always the get out clause.

Good luck with it  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I am going for my first Hyundai actual service for its 15,000 km in a week....cant wait!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
How can it be that you have service at 15000 km..?

My 2008 CRDi have 20000 km/1 year interval. The newer models, I think it's from when the U2 engine was introduced, have 30000 km/1 year.  :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How can it be that you have service at 15000 km..?

It has always been 15,000kms in Australia (it might be more with the U2 motor) but think most would want their oil changed at least that often over here... :winker:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, me being used to VW and serviceintervals at 30000/2 year I find it strange that you would want to change the oil so often.

With those modern engines and high quality oils today, I would not think twice about driving 20000 or 30000 km before changing oil, but I of cause would not exceed the manufactures guidelines.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Old habits die hard I guess .. it was not that many years ago 10,000kms was the norm.. High temperature in some parts of OZ might cause the Oil to age quicker  :idea:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think the high temp is actually an advantage for you guys down under. You don't get those "cold starts" as we here up north do.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
The 15000km service interval was one of the main points that swayed me to Hyundai from a lifetime of Toyota with 10000km intervals.

That and availability of a diesel wagon, Toyota only offers RAV4 petrol as a wagon down under and I don't need a pretend 4WD, which doesn't even have a lockable diff or low range.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal