SERVICE

Bluey · 38 · 10539

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Some years back I was manager of Engineering at a large Rolling and Extrusion Mill which ran a fleet of Trucks and company cars for us managers and directors. We had our own garage and carried out all vehicle maintenance on site. Shell had the contract for the supply of all fuels and lubricants for the machinery and vehicles. Their technicians came on site regularly and took oil samples from the machinery and trucks which were analysed to see whether the lubricant required any additives or a complete change. Cars were maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's schedules.

I had just had a new company car (Rover 2000 petrol) and I asked Shell to monitor the engine and gearbox oil to see how many miles it would cover before an oil change was indicated by sampling analysis. They told me to expect at least double and possibly treble the car manufacturers recommendation for the engine - which at that time was every 10,000 miles [16,000 Km].

The car ran for 56,000 miles [90,000 Km] before oil analysis indicated the need for an engine oil change - mainly because my daily commute was 20 fast miles each way [32 Km] and business trips tended to be long distances. The car was of course topped up with oil when required and filters changed on schedule. I changed the car having done about 100,000 miles [160,00 Km] without the gearbox or diff oil ever being changed.  I would enjoy doing the experiment all over again with a modern synthetic oil to see the result - but not with my privately owned i30 of course.

The Shell lube engineer told me that manufacturers set maintenance schedules to cater for the worse case. For a car this is short stop-start runs in cold weather in a salt laden or dusty environment with the car fully laden. If the car spends its life driven long distances and quickly, the oil will last much much much longer because acid build-up will be minimal.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
I think the 2.2 Santa Fe has an interval of 20,000 each service, could be wrong tho
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well, me being used to VW and serviceintervals at 30000/2 year I find it strange that you would want to change the oil so often.

With those modern engines and high quality oils today, I would not think twice about driving 20000 or 30000 km before changing oil, but I of cause would not exceed the manufactures guidelines.

VW is one of the few models here in Australia that are claiming that 1L loss of oil per 1000 km (I think) is acceptable.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, me being used to VW and serviceintervals at 30000/2 year I find it strange that you would want to change the oil so often.

With those modern engines and high quality oils today, I would not think twice about driving 20000 or 30000 km before changing oil, but I of cause would not exceed the manufactures guidelines.

VW is one of the few models here in Australia that are claiming that 1L loss of oil per 1000 km (I think) is acceptable.

Yes, that's correct. There was some problems with especially the 2.0 85kW/115 HP petrol used in Golf/Bora/Passat, approx 1999-2003 if I remember correct.
However, in reality there was taken action if the loss was more than 0,5L / 1000 km.

At the same time the Skoda Octavia 1,9 TDI 90 HP had 50.000 km/ 2 years intervals for oilchange without problems.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In older motors, in the 50's & 60's a pint in 1000 miles was considered acceptable. Today's engines and oil technology improvements would probably require less than this.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
In older motors, in the 50's & 60's a pint in 1000 miles was considered acceptable. Today's engines and oil technology improvements would probably require less than this.  :neutral:

:question: How much is a pint - in liters.... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:question: How much is a pint - in liters.... :question:

about .6 litres (600 Ml)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks Daz.

Then I also learned something new today.  :lol:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal