i30 Owners Club

DIESEL ENGINE OIL TYPE - OIL TYPE LIST

i30niko · 41 · 31353

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers Niko, it's certainly the right price, will be interesting to see how it goes....  :goodjob:

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

FWIW I use Castrol Syntec (German Castrol) 0w30 at the moment and soon to change to Mobil 1 0w40 due to supply problems with the Castrol here in Oz.

Mobil 1 0w40 is $95 bucks! for a 5L. i cannot justify that kind of money for an oil when I can get a shell helix ultra or similar for ~$60....Or even better a 10L penrite 5w40 HPR diesel for $79.....I guess the old saying "you get what you pay for" may be used against me.....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:23:23 by i30niko »
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Pip
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mobil-1-Engine-Oil-0W40-5W30-5W40-5W50-15W50-6-Quart-/170453896957?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27afd80efd

Add postage but still cheaper. As it comes in quarts it is obviously USA import but fairly certain its same blend that we have. 6 quarts gets you a refill plus some over.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I picked up some Shell Helix Ultra the other day at just under $50 and will happily continue to use it.  :D

yeah thats the repco deal on the 20% off at the moment isn't it?
I am going to give it a try myself also.....
IT meets the requirements of a ferrari so I am sure it will be a top notch oil to use for an i30!

Yes, that's the one.
I've always used this oil from new.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Although I can see people have said Magnatec is not fully synthetic, is full synthetic an absolute requirement for oil in the CRDi?

Secondly reading about oil specifications, the Castrol site recommends this magnatec oil.:

Castrol Magnatec Diesel 5w-40.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8000045&contentId=7076244

Does meeting the C3 Standard for DPF enabled vehicles imply that B4 standard will be also met or can this not be assumed?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Pip
Although I can see people have said Magnatec is not fully synthetic, is full synthetic an absolute requirement for oil in the CRDi?
No, it can literally be made from anything at all that meets the manufacturer's performance specification and there are lots of oils that will be "good enough" to meet the warranty requirement. :whistler: The cost of something slightly better than the minimum or even the best oil you can buy will still be a small percentage of the total cost of ownership.

WRT the oil mentioned above: Show me a link that recommends this oil for an diesel i30 in Australia. As far as I can see it does not meet the minimum standard of ACEA B4 (for Oz). Although I just love the concept of inteligent molecules. :wacko: :snigger:

C3 does not imply B4. The stuff they put in to achieve B4 is (some of) the same stuff they need to leave out to meet C3. There may be a mid-point where both are (just) attainable but frankly, if you don't have a CAT/DPF you don't want Cx oil. If I had a DPF I'd be looking for a medium SAPS oil as against a (very) low SAPS. A sort of compromise between looking after the DPF and looking after then engine.  It might be a toss up which is more expensive to service. :scared:

IMO B4 represents the best oil from a lubrication point-of-view. B5 and C3/4 are watered down formulations designed to meet other criteria. In the case of Cx, absolutely needed to preserve the CAT/DPF (expensive to repair) when fitted. B5 on the other hand is also an environmental consideration but centres on better economy (lower friction generally achieved through lower viscosity) and longer oil change intervals so less oil is discarded world-wide.

If in Oz, don't use this one. :fum:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8000045&contentId=7076244

Instead use this: :goodjob2:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9006580&contentId=6031557

Edit: Add the recommended Castrol Oil link for CRDi without DPF.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 00:58:13 by Pip »

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
Well I only go by the owners manual which says:  "API service CH-4 or above and ACEA A3/B4 10w30, 15w40 or 5w30 and 0w30 in colder countries."

At the end of the day the owners manual is the one we all consult, and if warranty issues arise because the wrong oil was used they cannot tell us that we shouldve looked at 'The list' from the national technical manager instead of the owners manual.

No worries, each to his own I guess. By all means go with the cheapest oil "approved". Hopefully you will never have to fight it out with Hyundai over $12 extra per oil change. After all $12 every 15000 km is a massive expense most people can't afford

The thing is Shell Helix Ultra, and Castrol Edge Titanium are not the cheapest oils approved. On the contrary I think the magnatec is the cheapest out of those 3. I don't know what oil Hyundai uses but I think it wouldn't be much better (if at all) than the Shell helix Ultra etc.....

Dealership near my place uses Mobil 1 5W-30,
I'll be changing to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
Cheers
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Secondly reading about oil specifications, the Castrol site recommends this magnatec oil.:

Castrol Magnatec Diesel 5w-40.

Does meeting the C3 Standard for DPF enabled vehicles imply that B4 standard will be also met or can this not be assumed?

Very simple - Diesel i30 needs a B4 oil - and the NO mangatec oil is B4. This automatically does not meet requirements regardless if it is synthetic or not.....

BUt to answer your question no - the PERNITE HPR DIESEL5 (5w40) Is semi synthetic and fully meets the requirements of the i30 diesel (API CI-4 PLUS/SL, ACEA A3/B4/E7). In fact Penrite recommends it over its full synthetic range!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:36:09 by i30niko »

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Very simple - Diesel i30 needs a B4 oil - and the NO mangatec oil is B4. This automatically does not meet requirements regardless if it is synthetic or not.....

Interesting. My local dealer (Morley Hyundai) was using Magnatec. I know because I asked the service manager when I picked up my filter for the 7500 km oil change. I wanted to use the same oil they did, but ended up with Shell.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Interesting. My local dealer (Morley Hyundai) was using Magnatec. I know because I asked the service manager when I picked up my filter for the 7500 km oil change. I wanted to use the same oil they did, but ended up with Shell.

Actually I just researched the Magnatec Website. Just found the Magnatec 10w40 does meet B4 requirements. I think it might be a new addition to the range as all the others did not (up to now). Still 10w40 is not a good viscosity range for the diesel I think 0w or better 5w.......And it doesn't even pretend to be full synthetic.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
That explains things now. Also explains why they turned away from Castrol.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal