i30 Owners Club

Steering problem

Ramps · 13 · 5284

Offline Ramps

• 1st Gear
My i30 is just turning 1year old and has done 13,000ks.  Last week I lost power steering completly and an electronic part had to be replaced.  The service guy told me the part alone cost $4500. I always felt the steering was stiff but was fobbed off and the "EPS off" light had started to come on occasionally.  Any one else had the same problem?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
$4,500 ???
Wow.
I've had no problems but I seem to remember others mentioning something about the light coming on intermittently.

BTW. Welcome to the club.
Hope you stick around and post some more happy things. :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ramps and welcome.. Sorry to hear about your problem..

I think it has been reported on her before but only once or twice (I think one was an American Member on his Elantra touring??)

THe figure mentioned last time was about $2500 from memory.. Thank God for the 5 year warranty a bit of a worry after that though  :confused:

I will do some searching with the above button and add some more if I find the other posts.. :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome to the club,ramps.  :razz:  lucky it was fixed under warranty.  :mrgreen:  $4.500 would be a nasty bill.  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think shambles has had his steering rack replaced.  :idea:  I'm not sure if its the same part that was replaced on ramps car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i think shambles has had his steering rack replaced.  :idea:  I'm not sure if its the same part that was replaced on ramps car.

There are two problems... a common and minor one which is a rattle in the steering which is quite easily fixed by the dealer with one modified part under warranty (I am pretty sure that is the one Shambles had..) and this more major one... (For an old fella I've still got a good memory sometimes  :winker:)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6719.msg78103#msg78103

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Glad you got it fixed.

And welcome to the i30 Owners Club  :)

Offline Ramps

• 1st Gear
thanks for the welcome.  Apart from the recent steering problem, We love our i30.  Its a Diesel SLX cw, auto. Black (oh yes, very hard to keep clean) and we have put lovely Mags on it.  We love the fuel economy. Had a Tucson V6 2004 but fuel was a killer.    We are planning on buying a small camper trailer soon to tow with our i30.  Any one got ideas or advice? 

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I believe the "expensive" fault its a torque sensor failure, for which they seem to like to replace everything. No doubt there will be a more cost effective repair out of warranty. I can remember a dealer replacing the whole gearbox in a vauxhall I once owned, at about ten times the price the problem could have been fixed for.

I assume the issue isn't bring caused by the over temperature cut out.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thanks for the welcome.  Apart from the recent steering problem, We love our i30.  Its a Diesel SLX cw, auto. Black (oh yes, very hard to keep clean) and we have put lovely Mags on it.  We love the fuel economy. Had a Tucson V6 2004 but fuel was a killer.    We are planning on buying a small camper trailer soon to tow with our i30.  Any one got ideas or advice? 

We NEED to see photos with those lovely mags :exclaim: (please)

There are small camper trailers available with the CW towing weight.. there was some discussion about them a year or two ago on here (try camper trailer in the SEARCH function :idea:)

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Hello!!! In Poland to hear about problems with steering (often with flexible coupling). Services replace coupling or complete unit (in Poland complete unit cost 14000 PLN = 4500 AUD :)  after warranty of course). Unfortunately after replaces sometimes problem may come back.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hello!!! In Poland to hear about problems with steering (often with flexible coupling). Services replace coupling or complete unit (in Poland complete unit cost 14000 PLN = 4500 AUD :)  after warranty of course). Unfortunately after replaces sometimes problem may come back.
it might come back.  :eek: :mad:

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
it might come back.  :eek: :mad:
In some case, because quality of new parts or new unit is identical like factory installed :evil:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal