i30 Owners Club

Bad quality - Osram NB Plus?

steinrk · 42 · 11874

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Finally Hyundai have agreed to replace alternator. They want my car for a few days to do some more tests, but at least they have offered a loan car.
I spoke to Osram who supplies the Hyundai branded bulb that is supposedly 900 hours plus compared to standard 450 hours. They say their Night Breaker is also long lasting. Apparently not available in Australia with Osram brand but their Narva Plus 100 is the same bulb rebranded as Osram Night Breaker Plus due to some issue with trade mark here.
Osram tells me that Hyundai bulb is a very expensive way to buy their bulb in Hyundai box.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good news druggist .. I hope that solves the problem  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Finally Hyundai have agreed to replace alternator. They want my car for a few days to do some more tests, but at least they have offered a loan car.
I spoke to Osram who supplies the Hyundai branded bulb that is supposedly 900 hours plus compared to standard 450 hours. They say their Night Breaker is also long lasting. Apparently not available in Australia with Osram brand but their Narva Plus 100 is the same bulb rebranded as Osram Night Breaker Plus due to some issue with trade mark here.
Osram tells me that Hyundai bulb is a very expensive way to buy their bulb in Hyundai box.

You can purchase the Osram Night Breaker Plus bulbs off eBay quite cheaply.....

I got 2 sets (H1 & H7) for around $50 delivered from the UK early this year.....

Supercheap Auto want well over that for just one set of the NARVA Plus 100-Globes....  :Shocked:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/NARVA-Plus-100-Globe-H1-12V-55W.aspx?pid=288118#Description

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/NARVA-Plus-100-Globe-H7-12V-55W.aspx?pid=288160#Description

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
druggist

The wire behind the dash story sounds like BS to me. For a voltage drop of significant magnitude to cause alternator compensation to occur, it would have to dissipate huge amounts of current & that would cause smoke & fire. The things that happen on start up are, various solenoids engage, ECU is activated radio on instrument gauges activated, anything else  that was left on. All these things happen in all cars. The big one of course is the starter motor and that can will affect battery voltage & alternator output. If this problem happens to my cars, I will simply put voltage regulator IC's LM317's into the light circuit cos I refuse to have this problem.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I agree about the BS factor 847583, particularly when they wouldn't put it in writing. I wonder whether alternator will fix the problem if they are replacing like with like.

I have been buying my bulbs from www.powerbulbs.com in the UK and found them to be excellent. I got tired of local stores not having H7 plus bulbs in stock, and Super Cheap only having their homebrand Chinese stuff.

I hope they go down the regulator path, but I didn't want to get it fixed by non-Hyundai and have Hyundai then draw a line on warranty on the issue.

Pip
If this problem happens to my cars, I will simply put voltage regulator IC's LM317's into the light circuit cos I refuse to have this problem.  :exclaim:

Nice idea but it won't work. There needs to be a significant voltage difference between input and output for any regulation to occur.  If you did rig up something like this the headlights would be very dim.

If caused by a faulty alternator/regulator then repair/replacement is the fix.

If it's caused by voltage spikes from the starter motor then a 100% filter can be engaged simply by turning off the lights during starting.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
druggist

I bought 3 sets of bright bulbs from them in UK cheaper than from my local store & yeas I am impressed with them.

Funny how your alternator is being replaced rather than the wire behind the dash that was supposed to be causing the problem. I wish we could charge them for telling porkies! or claim a free service  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
pip

Sorry not quite understanding here.

This website describes an 8a (96W @ 12V) current dissipation circuit, that would work wouldn't it?

http://www.reuk.co.uk/LM317-High-Current-Voltage-Regulator.htm

However, I do agree with you that the problem should be rectified by Hyundai by replacing the offending component. My regulator suggestion was just a fix that I thought of.  :)

Pip
pip

Sorry not quite understanding here.

This website describes an 8a (96W @ 12V) current dissipation circuit, that would work wouldn't it?

http://www.reuk.co.uk/LM317-High-Current-Voltage-Regulator.htm

Without going into great detail as to how it works (which is not complicated) a "transistor" device requires a voltage across it to work. The voltage that drives the circuitry in this case is the difference voltage between the positive input and the positive output and must exist else it will not work.

At 14.5 volts in, this probably means an output of ~12 volts. The lights would be duller.

Another possibility is that whatever is popping the globes might also fry the regulator.  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
pip

ok Thanks  :)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Finally got Hyundai Australia to admit their is a problem with a car blowing headlights regularly.

My local dealer, Barry Smith, Pennant Hills took my car for 2 days, gave me a loan car, and "removed and replaced alternator and tested all OK" under warranty.

Fingers crossed that the issue is now resolved.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Checked the post on hid lights. Input voltage from 9-32 volts is acceptable. I would fit these if I was having your problem. I think the ballast would handle spikes as they have protection built in.  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal