i30 Owners Club

Replacing headlights; in new generation i30

i30.6 · 12 · 12172

Offline i30.6

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• GD I30 HATCH 1.8P ACTIVE / Hyper Silver
Hi everyone, first post in the forum and I hope its in the right place!

I tried to take a out my headlights yesterday to install new globes but had trouble getting them out.
Now I know you can quiet easily replace the Hi beam globes with out taking the whole headlight unit but getting the parkers out is a different story. (I learnt)
I've seen step by step guides on taking out the older i30's headlights but I couldn't seem to get mine out. I undid the 3 bolts holding the headlight unit in as well as the two clips but it still didn't want to come out  :mad: it was very loose but I noticed if you look from the front underneath the headlight unit they seem to have clear 'teeth' holding them in also. Any suggestions on what Im missing? Thanks!

- I am going to install LED parkers and when I find a good set of Hids they will also be put in :)
- Also if you are currently using Hids that you highly recomend let me know! Cheers
  • GD I30 HATCH 1.8P ACTIVE AUTO / Hyper Silver

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Page 7-56 in my UK owners manual gives details.

You have to undo the front bumper mounting bolts inside the engine compartment and inside the wheel arch, pull the sides of the bumper out near the wheel arch and then pull the bumper forward to allow the headlight unit to be removed.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline i30.6

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Sounds like a bigger job than I thought. So have you done this yourself?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to the forum i30.6,

I assume you realise fitting HID's is illegal.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30.6

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

That I do, so you still use halogens then ?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, the HID's are terrific, but they glow 4X brighter and unless originally fitted by the factory they are not allowed.

I am patiently waiting for LED's to be fitted to vehicles, they are low voltage, semiconductor lighting, run cooler and use much less current.

Offline i30.6

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

I do alot of night driving due to work so that is why I am wanting to up grade to Hid's.
I see many cars fitted with Hid's, so I dont see the problem with having them also.
I know the old commodores without projectors spraying eye blinding light everywhere is just ridiculous but I was told my headlights would not do that.
Also the model up of my car comes with stock standard Hid's.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Cars with factory fitted HID's have a light beam leveler fitted to the suspension of the vehicle. This is to compensate for heavy loads in the rear or towing, as the angle of the vehicle alters, so the beams are focused down by the leveler. It is true that projection headlamps have a reduced "wide angle" compared to older conventional vehicles, due to the projection lenses fitted, but, the problem is that on undulations, towing or rear boot loaded vehicles, without levelers, the concentrated beam projects into oncoming traffic dangerously so.

There would most definitely be insurance issues driving a vehicle in this configuration. In the event of an accident, you would not be covered for damages to any vehicles, and possibly face criminal charges as well. Even the 3rd party insurer may recover costs too. Far too much price to pay for increased lighting IMO.  :rolleyes:

Offline i30.6

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Thanks for the info   :)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I popped HID's in mine, they've been in there 6 months or so and I haven't had any trouble. My local Hyundai dealership kindly installed the LED parklights for me. I figured it was too much of a mission :)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes I realise it is illegal but IMHO I have no problem with anyone fitting HID to their individual H/Beam only, as long as the original Lows are still Halogen,rationale it is no longer illegal to fit HID spotlights(or so I have been told by W/pool inspection station)as long as the wiring has been done correctly,which can not only turn them off with the Highs but can also isolate them on their own,so I can't see the different of having HID highs,you are actually meant to dip your lights with on coming traffic,also illegal are the super blue zeon globes,or what ever their called but boy the amount of them you see on the road is incredible.

OMO, but poorly adjusted and heavily rear load cars with standard globes are just as bad as similar factory fitted HID cars,I have lost count how many brand new cars I have come across whith such poorly adjusted headlights which cause glare problems(on low beam),be it through extremely poor PD or PPL screwing with their headlights who have no idea what their doing.

these are only my opinions,but yes useless you vehicle came out fitted with HID,it is illegal and as stated if you have an accident be sure to jump out quick and put your original globes back in
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
You could try my guide, or from some other members that did theirs. If you don't want trouble, safest bet is give it to your dealer to do it for you.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=20505.0

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal