i30 Owners Club

Angel eyes done and dusted (pics)

Jesse91 · 23 · 10110

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Hey all I ticked another big thing off my list and installed some angel eyes. It was pretty time consuming mainly due to painting inside and wiring is pretty straight forward although getting a wire from inside to the lights was difficult at first but I managed to find a really easy spot above the wheel arch.

The rings I bought from sharkracing where about $135 took over a month to get here. One of the rings wasn't lighting all the way around but it was just some loose solder on the back that I fixed. You have a chose of two coloured rings so apart from white (I have seen an i30 with amber rings and it was wired to the indicator was pretty cool) I chose blue yeah I will never use it on the road but I love blue and if anything I can just use it to get the ladies  :cool: just kidding... Please someone get red as the 2nd colour and wirer it to the horn I would love to see that

anyway some crappy pics...

before

about 10-15mins in the oven on 50 degrees Celsius 

hole drilled for angel eye wires

wiring the pairs together and glued down with sikaflex

I left this part silver and painted the striped blue (seen that from someone else on this forum)

housing painted in satin black

ready to be put back into the glass

final result

I don't have any pics of it with the blue but will try take one soon and put it up :)

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask I know I hate trying to do this stuff without prior knowledge
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Well that looks a neat job Jesse well done you, must admit I'm a sucker for the black bezel in the headlamps but too scared to attempt to take them apart having nightmares about replacement costs lol!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: :Agoodjob: :beer:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Well that looks a neat job Jesse well done you, must admit I'm a sucker for the black bezel in the headlamps but too scared to attempt to take them apart having nightmares about replacement costs lol!

Yeah I know what you mean that's why I did them one at a time.. my next door neighbour has an i30 though so I could just take hers if need be haha
  • Hyundai i30

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Bugger not available for my model. They look great!
  • 2012 i30 CRDi The Yakster Mobile

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
very nice
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Just some more pics on my headlights..

The magic switch only gets power when the key is in start, up is white, middle is off and bottom is blue (I have the switch illuminate when it is on the blue so it stands out and I don't accidentally drive with it switched on blue) 

• Hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a professional looking job.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A fine bit of work :goodjob:

Fingers crossed that your remade seals prevent condensation :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with the results :happydance: so far so good with the leaks and moister hopefully it stays that way. I want to paint a bit of the fog lights black next
  • Hyundai i30

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with the results :happydance: so far so good with the leaks and moister hopefully it stays that way. I want to paint a bit of the fog lights black next

How did you reseal the headlight? Or did you just reheat it again and use the existing sealants?

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Mmmm, are they legal? :Shocked: :whistler: :Touch:

Paint the fog lights black, desecration !!! :blubber: :wtf:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
How did you reseal the headlight? Or did you just reheat it again and use the existing sealants?

Reheated it again and pressed it back into the existing sealants then went and sealed the surround with sikaflex so that there were no gaps present between the glass and the plastic housing

Mmmm, are they legal? :Shocked: :whistler: :Touch:

Paint the fog lights black, desecration !!! :blubber: :wtf:

Apart from blue lights obviously... yeah I'd say they're legal, why do you think wouldn't they be? Oh and I just want to paint the edges of the fog light black, leave the round centre part chrome
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks great Jesse , nothing like a bit of light entertainment :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Just an update with some photos showing my fog lights painted blaaaaack to match the headlights like I said. I have left the centre reflector part chrome and painted the surrounds much like my headlights. Like another member has said trying to open the fog lights was very hard but worth it in the end for me, I am very happy with the results.

So far no water has got into my headlights  :goodjob: one of the fog lights did start to get some condenstion building up a couple weeks ago, but I have taken it out, dried it and resealed it better.

The side indicators are next! haha thanks for looking!

• Hyundai i30

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Looks great :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I tried to do the same for my headlights for the GD i30, but it's alot different compare to the FD and it is a much more difficult job for number of reasons. It's a fair warning :exclaim: for those wanting to attempt prying open i30 GD headlight.

• The headlight is much bigger compare to FD headlights and will need a larger oven than the ones you have at home to fit it in. You can still do it without fully closing the over door but I still wouldn't risk it. The best option is use a heat gun.
  • Before you try and pry open you headlights, there are 3 screws that screws the lens to the plastics inside the housing which you need to remove, otherwise, it won't open. Now the following mentioned are what I believed to be, it's not 100% accurate. To remove those screws, you will need to unscrew all other screws on the back of the housing, including the screws that adjust the angle of the lights, i have no idea how well this works but I believe this is the only way as the 3 screws can not be accessed without first pulling the whole lens apart from the housing. This means the lens and the plastics and the light holder have to come off all together away from the housing before you can access the 3 screws. 

Heating the headlight and pulling it is the easy part, but disassembling the whole headlight takes alot more skills than you think you need. Hyundai just doesn't want you to open it, simple as that.

There's another way to do this though, just break off the 3 screws. I have no idea why they screwed it in the first place, probably because it's a large headlight, they need it to hold everything together.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal