i30 Owners Club

Changing headlamp bulb

pumpo64 · 79 · 37336

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well MJT57 I will be on the phone to Hyundai UK this morning the car is 2 years 4months old and covered 28,000mls I'm going to mention fact that a bulb should last longer than this but don't hold your breath  :faint:

My motorbike is 4years 8months old and covered 40K and never needed a bulb and it has running lights.

i30Sean

Me thinks you're out of luck trying to claim your bulb on warranty, i30sean....  :undecided:
Seems bulbs are only covered for 12 months.. see:
http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/owners/5YearWarranty/limitedCoverage/

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... the pictures at the start of this tread are no longer on line anyone got a video or more pics please???

We definitely have more pics... lemme look
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Have a wander through these pics:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=528

And read some of the posts from #30 onwards too :)

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Thanks for all the links etc and encouragement i'm thinking of having another go tomorrow and being a bit braver plus the garage is open down the road so if i get stuck help could be near by  :faint:

I spoke to the local dealers today and they charge are you ready ..................... £27 plus the bulb to fit one nice little earner  :(

Email sent to Hyundai UK in disgust but don't expect much from that I await their reply  :scared:

i30Sean

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Thanks for all the links etc and encouragement i'm thinking of having another go tomorrow and being a bit braver plus the garage is open down the road so if i get stuck help could be near by  :faint:
it is no need to remove light assy in order to change one bulb, just unscrew two bolts which hold washing fluid tank and you will get ample space

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I can remove the nearside headlamp assembly in 3 minutes flat :P

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Some wizzard skills their them a it's the passenger side  :lol: :lol: :lol:

i30Sean

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Guys I'm offically speachless  :faint:

So had tried without luck to get headlight out to change the bulb on the passenger side, had tried local Halfords but they said main dealer job, main dealer wanted £27 to change plus cost of bulb so....

Was in town local town where they have a Hyundai main dealer and just along the road was another Halfords with a fitting bay outside and a lad was putting in a bulb on another car as I pulled in to get some screen wash. I causualy asked him can you change bulbs on these ??? Oh they is easy he said !!!

He put his hand behind the light within 10 seconds the cover was of and another 15 seconds the bulb was out it was unreal he took me in and I bought a bulb by the time I went out from paying it was in cap back on and light fully working  :D

I asked him about undoing the 3 bolts on top of the light and taking head light out and he laughed he said he changes bulbs all day and can do them with his eyes closed so for £6.99 plus the bulb £9.99 done  :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
He must've had little "girly" hands...... :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
He put his hand behind the light within 10 seconds the cover was of and another 15 seconds the bulb was out ...

:eek: he must have very thin flexible hands & arms :eek:

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: ninja'd by Risty :lol:

Risty :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
He put his hand behind the light within 10 seconds the cover was of and another 15 seconds the bulb was out ...

:eek: he must have very thin flexible hands & arms :eek:

(click to show/hide)

See, even people like that have their uses  :exclaim:

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline john bos

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I had the same problem most have had trying to change headlight bulb on an I30. Fingers just cant easily unscrew the plastic cover and no way can I remove the bulb. My solution was as follows: Undo the three 10mm headlight retaining screws as has been mentioned previously (two on top and one at rear of the headlight assembly). Remove the clip on connector on the headlight. Now undo the two painted 10mm bolts which hold the upper side of the front guard (fender) to the inner guard. These are painted the same color as the car and located in the channel which is covered by the bonnet when it is closed. Get someone to raise the now loose upper side of the guard maybe 100mm as you remove the entire headlight unit. The top section of the guard is quite flexible. No scratches, no fuss. Replace bulb and replace the headlight assembly.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- that's the hard way.

Just get a couple of weetabix inside yer and yank the headlamp assembly - no need to remove anything other than the three 10mm bolts :P

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
With the new model no need to remove light fitting.

Plenty of room on one side but not so much on the other but still enough room to get a fair size hand in.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Replacing the headlight globes on my diesel is a cast iron b#tch, hate doing it!

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
£6 for Halfords to do it  :D

No stress No hassle i30Sean

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

But the shipping cost from Victoria, Australia might be a bit prohibitive ... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

But the shipping cost from Victoria, Australia might be a bit prohibitive ... :whistler:

Would be a nice drive though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

He put his hand behind the light within 10 seconds the cover was of and another 15 seconds the bulb was out it was unreal he took me in and I bought a bulb by the time I went out from paying it was in cap back on and light fully working  :D
........so for £6.99 plus the bulb £9.99 done  :happydance:

That works out at £420 hour and I thought my dealer's £72 hour was expensive.   And £9.99 for the bulb??????????????

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

That works out at £420 hour and I thought my dealer's £72 hour was expensive.   
Is that their standard hourly rate???

In Aussie dollars that's well over $120/hr. My local Hyundai dealer's rate is somewhere between $60-100/hr. And they're not averse to gouging their customers, either.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

That works out at £420 hour and I thought my dealer's £72 hour was expensive.   
Is that their standard hourly rate???

In Aussie dollars that's well over $120/hr. My local Hyundai dealer's rate is somewhere between $60-100/hr. And they're not averse to gouging their customers, either.
Yes hourly rate.

I have just got quotes to replace the timing belt in my wife's Getz from three Hyundai dealers
All quoted same price for the parts  and 2.2 hours labour but rate varies.

Dealer A was £72/hr or $107

Dealer B was £84/hr or $ 125

Dealer Cwas £113/hr or $168  But I think he made a mistake (or I did)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The 4th globe (left side) was replaced on Wednesday, so of course the right side went Thursday night.

I decided to do it myself, using a different brand to the mechanic (I used the repco +30% globe which was more expensive than the part and labour to get the mechanic to do it). It wasn't a fun job. When someone knows what they are doing they know how much force they can use without doing damage. When someone approaches the job for the first time, they don't and are by necessity more careful.

I got it done, couldn't see what others had said about pulling the headlight out without loosening the guard. Once I loosened the guard and swore a bit, it came out without damage. My main worry (getting it all back in) proved to be less of an issue, and it all went back in nicely.

It would be nice if I wasn't to become better at this (but given that was my 5th globe in 64k I suspect that I will).

Hopefully the change in brand might extend their life. Otherwise I can report to the dealer that no particular brand of globe makes a difference.

In any event I got 2, having a spare in the garage should ensure that it never is a problem again. :D

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just a reminder Beerman .. Try to make sure the lights are off when you start the car (maybe even let it idle for a few seconds before turning them on) It is no guarantee but I think it reduces the risk of a blow..  :Pout:

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
I replaced my bulbs today -- Used CrystalVisions -- I love them. Wasn't too hard to replace, 10 minutes tops. Removed the battery and the coolant reservoir (The overflow tank) and the rest was easy. Not really that complicated but could certainly be easier.
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
So another bulb blown on the drivers side this time so back to Halfords and again the guy did it blind popped his hand in got the cap off which he said is the most difficult bit as it's tight in there and had the buld changed before I had come out after paying. So both headlight bulbs can be changed without the need to remove the lights  :goodjob2:

Passenger bulb lasted 2 1/2 years, Drivers side 2 years 11months, still feel this isn't long enough but I wonder if it's due to the Auto light function, I leave it on all the time ?

i30Sean

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Passenger bulb lasted 2 1/2 years, Drivers side 2 years 11months, still feel this isn't long enough but I wonder if it's due to the Auto light function, I leave it on all the time ?

i30Sean

So somtimes they would light up when you are starting the car?.. I'm convinced that would make extra stress on them  :undecided:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
My headlights are always on, on the "Auto" option, so depending on how dark it is the headlights are on or off whenever I start up.
Its been this way for the 2 yrs+ I've owned the car.
In that time, and over 30,000 miles I never had any bulb (globe) blow.

However, last night when leaving work I noticed the UK passenger side dipped beam lamp had died.

Today, & £5.50 later... I have replaced the lamp, fitted a Lucas version, took me 10 mins via the Headlight unit removal route, taking it easy and supping a cuppa!

Piece of cake.

I'll report back when I have to do the UK drivers side where the washer bottle lives!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal