i30 Owners Club

Dash lights dimming badly when starting- normal?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hey guys

So I have a new-to-me 2011 i30 1.6 Petrol that I picked up on Friday, and there was something that I was wondering about.

I leave my headlights on Auto, so when I unlock the car, the lights turn on and I climb in. I put the key in the ignition and when I crank the engine my dash cluster lights dim so badly they almost go out while the car is cranking. The headlights also dim, but not as much. As soon as the car has started the lights return to normal.

Now according to the dealer the battery passed the AA inspection test and it held voltage fine, but this particular car had been standing for over two months at the dealer, and I am wondering if the battery condition might not have deteriorated a bit in that time?

I will try put a voltmeter on it and see what it pushes out when no load is on it, when the car is in ON mode and while cranking but in the mean time I thought I'd ask here to see if it is something I need to worry about :)

Thanks!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Even though the feature is available, I consider it very bad practice to load a battery excessively before the engine is running. So I would turn the lights off before starting. The car is 3 years old and there is most likely some deterioration of the battery capacity.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I agree with Phil, again!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Have to agree with Phil. Phil,overloading your battery like this is not good for it at all.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thanks! It will only be an issue at night when the lights turn themselves on automatically. In future I'll turn them off when starting. I with there was a way it could turn off the headlights automatically when starting to minimise the load on the battery. Even my old Golf Mk. 1 did that! I have the car plugged into a Ctek MXS5 at the moment to see if there is anything wrong with it.

When I plugged it in it was at level 3, which means Bulk mode (up to 80% charge, which means when I plugged it in it was below 80%). This was about 1h30min ago, and I will go check it again in 30 minutes and see if it has moved up to level 4 yet (Absorbtion up to 100%).

Only afterwards will I be able to see if the battery needs replacement. I sure hope not as I was not expecting to be replacing parts so soon into ownership :(

Offline MarkC

• 2nd Gear
  • knobs in silver cars rule ok

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington, England

• 2013 Sport Nav 1.6 Diesel 128PS in Sleek Silver
Under the circumstances, fill her up and drive! Recharge that battery good and proper with an epic road-trip, and have a hoot doing it  :cool:
  • i30 Sport Nav

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Under the circumstances, fill her up and drive! Recharge that battery good and proper with an epic road-trip, and have a hoot doing it  :cool:
I quite like that idea  :P

I need to check tyre pressures anyway so I will go to the furthest fuel station I can find. The MXS5 came back all good. I think it was just a bit flat and needed a boost. It is now in battery float mode which means there is nothing wrong with the battery per se, it might have just needed a bit of oomph.

I will definitely revert to turning off the headlights when starting at nighttime, thanks for the tip! I'll post back with any news. Also, since I was out near the car I cleaned it up a bit (a bird pooped on my roof the day I received it), checked the fluids and where everything is located in the engine bay. I didn't take pictures as the garage is pretty dark but it's quite neat and tidy everywhere.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I need to check tyre pressures anyway so I will go to the furthest fuel station I can find.

That could very well be in Tasmania!  :rofl: :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bushy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mordialloc, Victoria

• 2013 i30 Elite Tourer CRDI Auto "Cool Red"
Sounds a bit strange to me that the headlights come on before the engine starts.  Just tried it on my 2013 i30 that I have the headlights set on auto, and when I get in the dome interior light comes on (as well as the little courtesy lights under the front door handles), but the headlights only come when under low or no light conditions after the engine has started.  So no issues.  Agree with Phil that I wouldn't want the load of the headlights on as you start the car.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer Elite CRDI 1.6L D Auto Red

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Not to mention a good way to blow headlights....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The headlights only come on automatically when set to auto and when it is dark outside. I just find it a schlep to turn the key to ON, turn the lights off, start the car, turn the lights back to auto and drive off. In the daytime it isn't an issue though :)

I also found that if it is set to auto and dark outside, one press of the unlock/lock button locks or unlocks the car and turns the follow me home lights on. If you press it once more, they turn off :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal