i30 Owners Club

clutch trouble

newb · 27 · 8298

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
hi , wonder if you guys could help me.

I've got a 2010 i30 comfort 23,000 on the clock, last couple of weeks the clutch as felt a bit grindy , feels fine on start up but after twenty mins it starts making a noise , the pedal feels creaky and the noise is under the bonnet on the left hand side, can only describe as a l shape part with two gators, when driving at speed the clutch feels better, but stop start traffic the problem is back , not very mechanical so im a bit stumped , should I go to dealers or would this not be under warranty, would like this solved as its spoiling our driving pleasure,    :(  ive only done 4,000 of the miles and never had clutch issue in 37 years of driving, thanks in advance

phil
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think the Hy warranty from new is 2 years in the clutch.

Did the selling garage give you a warranty?

If so, give them a call and get them to check it out.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
thanks for the reply , brought the car from hy dealer with the remaining standard warranty
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome newb.

Sorry to hear of your problem. Because a clutch can be subject to abuse they tend to have limiting clauses for the clutch under warranty. So, the chances of a warranty fix are maybe 50/50 at best.. BUT certainly worth asking as it may not even be the clutch.

Be tactful, but firm and persistent as they may try and fob you off  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's not a good idea to have 2 gators in your engine bay. (joke)  :lol:

Does the clutch feel as though it's working properly  :question:

I would take it to the dealer. Then report back to us here.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
yeah it is still working ok, seems  like a dry sound after twenty mins, but ok at speed, the biting point is still low :wink:
great car apart from this, will go Tuesday and report back
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
If it's a diesel? It might have DMF problems maybe?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
After reading and re reading your post I am wondering if it's not the thrust bearing
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
thanks for that, is that something that is covered by the warranty :Touch:
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Your in a tricky situation here,like eye said clutch under warranty is normally only for the first two years life of the car,but this is where the tricky bit is I think,you bought the car from a Hyundai dealer,to my way of thinking they should have done a full workshop inspection and signed off that it was all good,to my way of thinking as you have done so little K's in the car,if there is an issue,they should come to the party of some of the cost,but under the letter of the warranty,I would be saying you may have to fork out for it

All I can suggest is go and have it checked out by your dealer,see what the problem actually is and hopefully work out and amiable solution
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All I can suggest is go and have it checked out by your dealer,see what the problem actually is and hopefully work out and amiable solution

..and give the impression you think it will be covered.

If they come straight at you with if it is the clutch it won't be covered.. I'd say something like.

"Really? One of my friends bought a car from here and he said you guys were always fair and reasonable with warranty issues ..."  :winker:

If it turns out to be the clutch, try and negotiate the cost down by suggesting a 50/50 or something and hope they don't jack the cost up to make it look like they are helping.  :undecided:

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
thanks for all the great reply's, I am hoping they will at least be reasonable considering how little miles ive done, getting good service in London isn't always that easy , such a rip off culture, especially with cars, money money money  :head_butt:
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
just an update, never got to the dealers because the clutch seems so much better, :victory: on Saturday I had sprayed some wd40 into the gator that the noise was coming from, seems to now be working, may be coincidence, don't know time will tell, but couldn't go to the dealer with no evidence , will try a more suitable lube if it comes back.  as a after thought maybe lack of use was doing it no favours, so using it more now and see how it goes :confused:
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
just an update, never got to the dealers because the clutch seems so much better, :victory: on Saturday I had sprayed some wd40 into the gator that the noise was coming from, seems to now be working, may be coincidence, don't know time will tell, but couldn't go to the dealer with no evidence , will try a more suitable lube if it comes back.  as a after thought maybe lack of use was doing it no favours, so using it more now and see how it goes :confused:

Thanks for the update.  :goodjob2:

Would be nice if a little grease could solve it. Keep us posted....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What's a gator?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The rubber cover over the metal moving parts, i think.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The rubber cover over the metal moving parts, i think.
Yeah. I guess. Bit of a puzzle though.
Anyway, assuming this covers the actuating mechanism, my advice would be to NOT spray any lubricant down there unless it finds its way onto the clutch plate.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update.  :goodjob2:

Would be nice if a little grease could solve it. Keep us posted....

:whsaid:

Don't be a stranger.. We like a good chat  :winker:

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
thanks for all the reply's, :undecided: see how it goes over the next week or so , like I said im driving it more now so should find out soon,
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
hi guys

just to let you all know, after a week the noise came back,
so gave it a few days and it did not go,
once again spray of wd 4o, fraction more this time, I know I was taking a chance :scared: but did not want to get ripped of at a garage for a new clutch, and it has been smooth as silk ever since, cars never been better.  :happydance: :yahoo: :drinks:
  • i30 1.4 comfort

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
hi guys

once again spray of wd 4o, fraction more this time, I know I was taking a chance :scared: but did not want to get ripped of at a garage for a new clutch, and it has been smooth as silk ever since, cars never been better.  :happydance: :yahoo: :drinks:

So, you've diagnosed the fault yourself, now take it to the dealer and explain carefully to them and let them fix it under warranty I mean fix it properly.   If it's just a lube problem then it need to be attended too, not just blasted with a water dispersant, which is all that WD40 is, it's just simple fish oil, it is not a propriety lubricant for motor cars.

Just my two cents chum, but, what the hell do I know  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
So, you've diagnosed the fault yourself, now take it to the dealer and explain carefully to them and let them fix it under warranty I mean fix it properly.   If it's just a lube problem then it need to be attended too, not just blasted with a water dispersant, which is all that WD40 is, it's just simple fish oil, it is not a propriety lubricant for motor cars.

Just my two cents chum, but, what the hell do I know  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry asathorny, WD40 doesn't contain fish oil, although you are right it is a water dispersant and not a propriety lubricant. ;)

WD-40 Facts & Myths | WD-40 Ingredients

Offline newb

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
hi guys

how did I live soo long without a {chum} like you :head_butt: :head_butt: :head_butt:

• i30 1.4 comfort

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hi guys

how did I live soo long without a {chum} like you :head_butt: :head_butt: :head_butt:   

He's only been your chum since he saw your avatar  :Shocked: :P

Believe it or not ASA has your best interests at heart.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Sorry asathorny, WD40 doesn't contain fish oil, although you are right it is a water dispersant and not a propriety lubricant. ;)

WD-40 Facts & Myths | WD-40 Ingredients

Paul, I was perpetuating a long standing myth and you've gone and ruined it <sigh>...      Anyhow, I was just chatting to Elvis and he assures me that it is made from fish oil   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
hi guys

He's only been your chum since he saw your avatar  :Shocked: :P

Believe it or not ASA has your best interests at heart.

Thanks Dazz and you are quite right, in my dictionary the word CHUM is not a pejorative term in any sense.  I guess this fella is a little paranoid  :head_butt: :head_butt: :head_butt: :head_butt: :head_butt:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I drove through 2 ft of water once in a mazda626 and the water washed all the grease out of the clutch release bearing,
after that, whenever you put your foot on the clutch it sounded real bad, but wasn't noisy unless the clutch pedal was depressed ?
is yours constantly noisy  ?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal