i30 Owners Club

Starting Issues

Offline Christina

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi
I have had an issue with my Hyundai i30, Petrol (2010) :( The majority of the time when I try to start my car it cranks and cranks without turning over (it doesn’t matter what time of day it is), I have to turn my car off and turn the key to accessories and then wait for the abs light to go off on the dash, turn my key the rest of the way and then my car will start. It drives me nuts please help.

Thanks  :victory:
  • Hyundai i30, Petrol (2010)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I'm a bit puzzled by your post, cranking means the engine turning over to me - is it just making a whirring sound but not turning the engine?

Maybe it might help if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes as it may be that the ECU has got confused a bit and needs a reset?  Though  the physical symptoms conflict, hmmm.

Maybe an expert will visit the thread shortly though.  :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
So do you feel the engine being turned over but it doesn't start, or are you hearing an electric whirring sound but no engine turning over. They are two different problems and it would help to know which you are experiencing :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This happened to my Wife's previous car, a 2010 2.0 petrol CW (but only once)

She made several attempts to start it and it kicked over but wouldn't start. When it did start there was a knocking noise for a bit. We got it checked but it never did it again,. We assumed it was a hiccup with the immobilizer and the knocking was because the engine got flooded with fuel.

How long since it has had a service and what mileage has it done? I would suspect a timing or injector problem, but I'm no expert.  :undecided:

Definitely need looking at by a mechanic.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Christina

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Sorry my car terminology is not the best lol  :faint:
When I turn the key it makes the whirring sound for ages and then it may or may not eventually turn over, so I have to turn my car off and turn the key to accessories and then wait for the ABS light to go off on the dash, turn my key the rest of the way and then my car will start. The car has had all of it services and the dealership / service center has looked at it and they can't seem to find was is wrong  :crazy1:
  • Hyundai i30, Petrol (2010)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like a starter motor issue to me, I'd certainly bring it up with the service centre again as it shouldn't be to hard to diagnose if it's happening as often as you say.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Whirring noise without the engine turning is the starter motor NOT engaging with the flywheel of the motor. Usually a stuck or unreliable starter solenoid. Get it seen to ASAP as the teeth on the ring gear can be damaged.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Still not sure they don't meen kicking over, but not starting. Some confusion with terminology I think.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The way i read it is engine cranking, no start.

Going on that assumption.
Being an FD it will be a mechanical key. Symptoms sound like immobilizer not recognising key. Have you noticed any other lights on while engine is cranking?

If it is indeed whirring without the engine turning it is very likely the starter motor is shagged. Less likeley is there are missing teeth on ring gear, but that would grind.

Might pay to watch the engine and see if the belts are turning while playing up.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

The way i read it is engine cranking, no start.

Going on that assumption.
Being an FD it will be a mechanical key. Symptoms sound like immobilizer not recognising key.

Have you tried the other key?

If so, does it still do the same?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
And, of course, if you are still not sure we understand what is happening - possibly you could make a video (so we can see/hear - but probably more hear in this case) what you are describing.

Though this would require somewhere to host the video that it could be shared from - like cloud storage (such as dropbox or similar).

Other than that... I think what they, them, there above, said is it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 14:46:14 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal