• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

• 2012 Style 1 .6 CRDi 128PS Blue Drive

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

Interestingly this is a UK registered i30 in right hand drive, but not the same spec as we can buy.  It has an electric handbrake for starters.  It's also got the metal/sport pedals (which my Ceed 3 has) and these aren't available on UK models either.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Nice find Matt.... :goodjob:

That video must have been made months ago because Felicity Wood (the i30 Product Manager) in the video - who I met at the Silverstone Launch - is no longer in that post and probably no longer an Hyundai employee.  Not one of the 4 managers I met are now in post.

You will recall from my report on the Silverstone experience that I asked several technical questions about the new i30 - none of which she was able to answer. However she did get the information and Email me with the answers a few days later which I posted in the thread. Looking back - I'm not sure the information she supplied about the DPF and Dual mass Flywheel were strictly correct. Perhaps the monkeys had not dug that deep.

I suspect that in this video we are seeing an example of the next upgrade to the car due to be made available in a few months time. Hyundai are poised to respond quickly to the new Golf to be launched later this year. They are determined to at least match, and if possible beat, anything that VW have on offer. It is going to be interesting.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 23:10:17 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That was different .. Thanks Alan  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That was different .. Thanks Alan  :goodjob:

I'm not sure we should attribute all the forum's monkey business to Alan :whistler: :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The car in the video is fitted with the convenience pack which includes keyless entry, auto fold door mirrors with puddle lamps and chrome exterior door handles. It also has the panoramic sun roof option and the individual pack with leather seat facings and LCD colour instrument display. These are all listed as factory optional extras.

However - it seems to be fitted with 17" rims which are listed as a dealer fit accessory which cost £600 for a set of 4 wheels excluding tyres. That's an awful lot of money to pay for more road noise and a firm ride.

The total cost of all these extra items will be at least £3600 including tyres.

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

Yes, but the electric handbrake and metal pedals are not included in those options (in the UK).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
They were quite funny to watch.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Yes, but the electric handbrake and metal pedals are not included in those options (in the UK).

I agree Matt - as I said in my earlier post - I suspect that in this video we are seeing an example of the next upgrade to the car due to be made available in a few months time. Hyundai are poised to respond quickly to the new Golf to be launched later this year. They are determined to at least match, and if possible beat, anything that VW have on offer. It is going to be interesting.

Hyundai have a track record of introducing a car with optional features - then a few months down the track some of the options become standard and new options become available. I guess the electric brake (heaven forbid) and the metals sports pedals are going to be seen either as options and/or on the rumoured turbo petrol sporty model.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When I test drove the i40 that had the electric parking brake with automatic hold function.

Weird sensation when stopped a no movement even though my brain was telling me that I hadn't activated the handbrake.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

When I test drove the i40 that had the electric parking brake with automatic hold function.

Weird sensation when stopped a no movement even though my brain was telling me that I hadn't activated the handbrake.

My new i30 has got the auto hold (hill start) feature but fortunately it has a normal handbrake.

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

Yes my new i30 and previous Ceed had hill start too.
Other markets get the electric handbrake on the new i30 now.  But for some reason they decided the UK market would prefer an old fashioned handbrake.  Probably right.  My LR Discovery 3 had an electric handbrake and I liked it.
I do wonder why they just don't save costs and have the same spec and parts everywhere.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The new Hybrid Camry I tested recently had a foot operated park brake which didn't really appeal. I think out of sight, out of mind.. I would be more likely to leave it on by accident.

I backed it out from where it was parked with the brake on  :-[ and only realised when I went to drive off something was wrong and noticed the light.  :whistler:

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

We once had a Merc ML and before that a Merc E-class which both had foot operated brakes.  They're good for putting a lot of pressure on, but then take the skin off your leg when you lease it.  I don't why manufacturer's still use them.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The new Hybrid Camry I tested recently had a foot operated park brake which didn't really appeal. I think out of sight, out of mind.. I would be more likely to leave it on by accident.

I backed it out from where it was parked with the brake on  :-[ and only realised when I went to drive off something was wrong and noticed the light.  :whistler:

Was it the old Ford Marquis in the seventies that had a foot operated park brake?
I find them a bit odd.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Was it the old Ford Marquis in the seventies that had a foot operated park brake?
I find them a bit odd.

Don't think I've been in one of those but I have come across a foot brake before  :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Most American cars seem to have auto gearboxes and foot operated parking brakes instead of a conventional hand brake. It is OK when you have an automatic car but is hell on wheels with a manual when trying to make a hill start. You cannot release the brake gently like with a conventional hand brake - it is either on when you set it or off when you trip it with the hand or foot trip depending on the car.

One of my friends here in the UK has an 8 year old Mercedes with a manual gearbox and the dreaded foot operated parking brake.  He loves the car - but admits that hill starts are tricky. He developed a heel and toe technique with the normal brake and accelerator. However - a few months ago he had an operation on his spine which has left him with a floppy right foot. He is not now able to safely drive the car because he can no longer heel and toe. Hence he is having to sell his beloved Mercedes and is looking for an automatic.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If operating on his spine gave him a floppy foot, I'm glad they didn't operate on his neck.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I find them a bit odd.

Don't think I've been in one of those but I have come across a foot brake before  :undecided:

The old Holden Sunbird had one...... :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I find them a bit odd.

The old Holden Sunbird had one...... :fum:

It did too. I remember that now.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My late/great mate Angus had a Holden Sunbird (until he wrote it off on slippery West Coast roads..) You just don't see them any more (which is a good thng) :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My first car was gonna be a Holden Sunbird....  :)

My Grandfather had one and had decided he was gonna give it to me, unfortunately before that happened, he wrote himself and the Sunbird off in an accident...  :blubber:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Your grandfather wasn't called Angus, was he?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Whoever thought of letting baboons loose in the new i30 did Hyundai a great service.

The story and video have gone viral all over the internet, TV news and newspapers world-wide. It's the cheapest and most effective advertising they will get this year.

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

And it has only cost them the £1,000 they donated the park. Amazingly cheap advertising.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Sure is. Everyone's talking about it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

Here's a video from the firm that got the job to clean up the i30 after the "monkey test".

Looks like new again.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Here's a video from the firm that got the job to clean up the i30 after the "monkey test".

Did I see him jet spraying the inside of the door? :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal