i30 Owners Club

Steel wheels for i30CW

Och_i30 · 18 · 6247

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm looking for some winter wheels for an i30CW 1.6CRDi (the 2009.5 model).

The cost of steel rims from the dealer is £420 + approx. another £200 for basic tyres makes it an expensive item.

Alternative would be to use mytyres.co.uk as the offer winter tyres on steel rims.
How do I check the rim they specify is the correct one (hole positions, size, and flange offset)?
The site says the tyre will be fitted on a 5-hole steel wheel: 15 inch 5 x 114.30 x 67.00 ET: 47.00

Price would be sub £400 depending on tyre choice.

(I've done the base level search to check that if I had a focus 16D I would get a different rim)

Anyone have experience with mytyres?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Och_i30.. Why not place a wanted add on here (for free   :wink:) I'm sure someone in your area would have upgraded to alloys and has the old steel wheels floating around they would do you a cheap deal on... What about it guys?? (and Gals) Can we help out a fellow member... :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rallyfan33

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver Island

• Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Ouch!  Here in Canada, Walmart has steel wheels for C$60 (about £37) each!

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
I30's are very rare in UK breakers yards so original wheel rims will be hard to come by.  However I think that some Honda and Mitsubishi wheels are the same dimensions, (maybe even down to the cenrtre bore), so that may be worth exploring.
I too am shopping around for winter tyres for my i30, although fortunately I have some 15" rims.  Again in UK, I gather Costco are about to offer 20% off 4 tyres that makes Michelin winter tyres viable.
Good luck.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I30's are very rare in UK breakers yards so original wheel rims will be hard to come by. 

In Oz the base model SX comes with 15" steel wheels and quite a few members have had theirs updated to after market alloys.. and like 2i30s have a spare set of steel wheels in the shed...

I think less UK owners have scored steel wheels and/or have gone the upgrade path.. but we only need one who is happy to sell them.. :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the cost of freight to the UK for 4 steel rims would cost a small fortune.  :eek: good idea though.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

the cost of freight to the UK for 4 steel rims would cost a small fortune.  :eek: good idea though.  :razz:

I wasn't suggesting that.. I meant one in UK who was happy to sell theirs  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i knew that.  :-[ [ yet another red face ] 

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I have a set of original steel wheels & original tyres here , but in Australia

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I think the 2009 i30's were only offered with alloys in the UK. 
Not sure about earlier years though. 
The 2010 Comfort model does have steel wheels (the dealer used the registration details on a car with steel wheels to trace the part and price).

The scrappie option sounds like a good idea and otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and get some complete assemblies from mytyres.
I'll update the post to let you all know how it works out.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One more Idea ...You could spread the word around the local UK Hyundai dealers you are after a set of steel wheels in case any prospective buyer goes the wheel upgrade path direct with the dealer.. :idea:

Or get some really basic alloys from a local discount tyre place (They sell for as low as $80 a wheel over here on special (you might get a really good deal on a winter tyre and wheel package)  :razz:

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi guys, I promised an update once I'd got off the pot...

Bit the bullet and bought some CMS alloys and Vredstein Snowtrac3 185/65R15 from tyremen.co.uk.
They know their stuff, gave me a quote over the phone, followed up with correct information on wheel offsets, and the wheels arrived 4 days after ordering despite pretty bad weather conditions in UK. They provided the correct wheel nuts as well.  Only blemish was their fitter fitted one tyre in the wrong direction but all now resolved and local refit costs have been refunded.

The tyres are actually quieter than the original Hankooks and so far I don't see any change in fuel consumption.  Haven't had enough snow or ice to see how the cope with the worst yet but they're certainly nice and grippy down at -4 deg. C.

Mytyres.co.uk weren't too useful when I asked them whether the original wheel nuts would be OK when changing from Hyundai alloys to steels (cone angle and thread length in nut).  They don't supply the correct nuts, only wheels.  And in the time I spent b***ering about checking whether what they offered was OK the price rose by £20 per wheel into alloys price territory.  Looked at buying winter wheels direct from Germany but steels were going to be more expensive than alloys in the UK.   

The Hyundai dealer wanted >£500 for steel wheels without tyres and a bit more than £4 per wheel nut, and Hyundai quoted me approx. £560 for some alloys but couldn't supply winter tyres.  They even suggested if I changed to winter tyres it could impact on the warranty.  (to which I suggested that wrapping the car round a lamppost would have a bigger impact on the warranty).

Anyway, hopefully we're now suited and booted for a run to Germany.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
just read your post Och_i30, i actually have a set of original steel wheels in my loft,
were only on the car for a week before i swapped them for a set of alloys  i got off eBay.
i think i had the buy of the year i paid £150 for a set of 5 brand new original Hyundai alloys with brand new tyres fitted! :razz:

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
£150 for 5 new Hyundai wheels and tyres!  You certainly know how to hit a Scotsman where it hurts! 
Next time you're up in the loft have a look for a Chinese vase or two ...

I rang round a few scrappies but it seems i30 drivers are just too careful and the wheels on Ebay didn't match so in the end I had to bite the bullet.  Time to drown my sorrows I think.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you need to be in the rite place at the rite time to get that bargain.  :razz:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
i couldn't believe it.  i bid £350 but no one else bid ?
so i got them for £150. :razz:

dont you just love ebay    :D

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi Paul.  That was a superb deal.
Were they for an i30 or another model? I saw some for Elantra's etc. but sellers didn't give info. on the offsets so didn't follow up.  Now wishing I did though ...   

On the plus side we've now got a bit of snow and ice to see how good the Snowtrac 3's really are.
And I'll console myself with the fact the alloys look pretty good.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Hi Paul.  That was a superb deal.
Were they for an i30 or another model? I saw some for Elantra's etc. but sellers didn't give info. on the offsets so didn't follow up.  Now wishing I did though ...   

genuine i30's  he drove home from the dealer then swapped them straight away for bigger wheels,
why i dont know?  i was well pleased + i have my original tyres (1 week old) for spares, and the rims.
deal of the decade for me, dont you just love Ebay lol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal