i30 Owners Club

What width are the wheels on i30's?

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Are they 6.5inch?
That'd be about normal; if so i'll go 7" or possibly 7.5" (much wider and Ive heard you get rubbing??)

Thanks,

Scythe.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Standard wheels depending on model:

15 x 5.5 - 185/65 R15

16 x 6.0 - 205/55 R16

17 x 7.0 - 225/45 R17

i30 Accessories in UK show an 18" but don't state width.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
18 x 7.0 - 225/40 R18
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Thanks all :)

I'll go the 7.5 then. No point spending money and going lighter wheels without increasing grip.

My list and stuff is growing quite large considering I dont have the car yet :P

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Thanks all :)

I'll go the 7.5 then. No point spending money and going lighter wheels without increasing grip.

My list and stuff is growing quite large considering I dont have the car yet :P

Personally I would stick with 7"  That way you know that with the same wheel off-set that Hyundai use you should not have any chance of them fowling the chassis etc.

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Wouldnt wider wheels help 'soften' potholes? i'm in Aus where our road quality is sub-par

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wouldnt wider wheels help 'soften' potholes? i'm in Aus where our road quality is sub-par

Some people reckon half an inch makes a difference (I reckon 7" would be plenty)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the tyre placard in the drivers door jam tells you what tyre and rim size is on your car.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Some people reckon half an inch makes a difference (I reckon 7" would be plenty)  :cool:
   :lol: :lol:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Wouldn't wider wheels help 'soften' potholes? I'm in Aus where our road quality is sub-par

Actually they will make it harder. Less flex in the sidewall of the tyre with the lower profile.

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
[/quote]

My wife says it's the difference between Oooooh and Aaaaaaaagh   :D :D :D

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wouldn't wider wheels help 'soften' potholes? I'm in Aus where our road quality is sub-par

Actually they will make it harder. Less flex in the sidewall of the tyre with the lower profile.

More than that. They'll be much more susceptible to sidewall damage for the same (less flex) reason. And a replacement 17" tyre will probably cost a lot more than a 15 or a 16.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's a good find Russ. i know that's a QLD ruling but does the info in the link apply to all states?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
that's a good find Russ. i know that's a QLD ruling but does the info in the link apply to all states?

I wouldn't swear the other states are word for word but I can tell you they are pretty much the same in intent. Most, if not all of the measurements given are the same.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks trev.  :cool:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks mate,I'll check that one out later on [or i may be in there forever] the son needs to see some mod rules in that site.  :wink:  Steve.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :cool: :razz:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
smash some 8'' wide wheels on it, and make the offset a bit better... you could run heaps better offset!

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear

More than that. They'll be much more susceptible to sidewall damage for the same (less flex) reason. And a replacement 17" tyre will probably cost a lot more than a 15 or a 16.

I have to ask... how does WITH change PROFILE?  it becomes wider, but the 'height' of the wheel is the same....

Sorry if i'm missing something. I'll likely stay at 7" but still...

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"Profile", or "aspect ratio" is calculated by calculating the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width.

So, in a 205/65R15 tyre, the height of the sidewall from bead to tread is 65% of the width which in this case is 205mm from sidewall to sidewall, through the thickest part of the tyre.

If you go to a 60 series or a 45 series tyre, in order to maintain the same Overall Diameter (OD) of the tyre and wheel assembly, you will have a lower sidewall, thus less flex.

Wider tread - as in a 225/45R17 in which the width from sidewall to sidewall is 225mm but you've increased the rim diameter by 2", so the sidewalls must shrink by the same amount to maintain the correct gearing.

So, in a 205/65R15, the sidewall will be 133mm approx.
To calculate overall diameter, add the rim diameter (15") to 133mm x 2 (above and below the rim). Comes to about 25.5 inches.
In a 225/45R17 the sidewall will be 101.25mm approx.
To calculate overall diameter, add the rim diameter (17") to 101.25 x 2. This comes to about 24.9 inches.
To maintain the correct OD, coming off a 205/65R15 to a 45 series you'd probably need a 235/45R17. That would give you 25.3 inches.

Hope this helps.

BTW. Be careful you understand the difference between Overall Diameter and Rolling Diameter.

Also BTW. Should this topic be in the Tyres Section? And maybe rename it "Wheels and Tyres"

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal